Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Sessions might give an idea of what might be new!

Already seen a session titled "what's new in iBooks Author" so could be an update announced at WWDC.

There's also an "XPC and GCD lab" that's listed as both iOS and OSX.

GCD is on both platforms, but XPC isn't. XPC isn't that interesting on OSX, but it could be really interesting on iOS.

The session is scheduled for Tuesday (the day after the keynote), so I'm guessing XPC isn't going to stay limited to OSX or it wouldn't occupy such a prime slot.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
... but ios is looking a little bit dated.

and this does not? it reminds me of one of those early iPhone apps before devs got a grip of iphone app development in 2008. or AOL especially their aim services in 2001 :D

but im not gonna complain until i see the real thing hopefully next week

Astroexe

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
Netherlands
ew this looks like AOL around 2001

AOL1400.jpg

Really?

nad8e

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
Colorado
I'm looking in the AppStore and can't seem to find this app for my iPhone....

**Actually just got it to download, had to follow a link from the internet though. Didn't seem to be able to look it up in the search on the AppStore

Very annoying. Tried to search for it. I bet the guy with the 99c WWDC Checker app is going to make a couple extra bucks.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Nothing has really changed.

I'll be surprised if iOS7 keeps the exact same look and feel.

Yes it has changed exactly in the way we have been reading from the inside reports. It's TONED DOWN but still feels like iOS. The buttons are much flatter and there are not "buttons" just highlighted icons when you tap bottom bar.

Everyone expecting or flipping out over iOS 7 potentially looking like Windows 8 can CALM THE F DOWN. All they are doing is toning everything down while retaining the feel that everyone is used to. Which is perfectly fine. System wide this will be very big.

Last edited:

Nalmond92

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
UK
Another version of safari and webkit could also be on the cards looking through the events!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
GCD is on both platforms, but XPC isn't. XPC isn't that interesting on OSX, but it could be really interesting on iOS.

XPC is not interesting until management decides that 10.6 isn't supported anymore. At that point, it will be _very_ interesting.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
A clue to the new iOS7 look perhaps?

If it is it's a small change.

I'm really hoping they move the current in app back arrow button and menu/options buttons to the bottom as I find it awkward to stretch my thumb up there on the iphone 5.

If they make an even larger handset it will be impossible to reach them one handed. The one smart thing android does is have them at the bottom of the phone.

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
+1

This app is doubleplusgood! Access to the past WWDC videos alone is great, these were previously available but relatively difficult to get to, this makes it very easy. And if we get fast access to the new session info and videos, it will be delightful.

Nalmond92

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
UK
There's also an "XPC and GCD lab" that's listed as both iOS and OSX.

The session is scheduled for Tuesday (the day after the keynote), so I'm guessing XPC isn't going to stay limited to OSX or it wouldn't occupy such a prime slot.

What advantage would XPC have on iOS?

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
The Keynote is public - that's where they unveil the new stuff, and everyone will see it. The rest of the conference is for developers. It is all tech, where they flesh out the programming details on new stuff, and refresh and update the old.

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Yes it has changed exactly in the way we have been reading from the inside reports. It's TONED DOWN but still feels like iOS. The buttons are much flatter and there are not "buttons" just highlighted icons when you tap bottom bar.

It really isn't that different, the 'buttons' were just icons in the old version as well, it was just inverted when selected instead of blue.

attachment.php

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
XPC is not interesting until management decides that 10.6 isn't supported anymore. At that point, it will be _very_ interesting.

Yeah I know it's not really true that XPC isn't interesting on OSX.

Anyway, there are a few interesting-looking XPC talks.

There was this RemoteViewController thing found in iOS6 that suggests better inter-app communication could be on the way, but it relies on XPC. Obviously it's far from a confirmation, but what I can see on the schedule is what I would expect if XPC were coming to iOS.

It would be by far the biggest thing for developers to care about. They'd care about RemoteViewControllers first, and XPC in general possibly for inter-app communication outside of just view controllers.

What I can see on the Tuesday is a bunch of TBAs in the morning (that would possibly be RVC), and the more in-depth stuff in the afternoon with sessions like "Efficient design with XPC" and "XPC and GCD Lab".

Excited. Make it happen, Apple!

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
Apple hasn't announced any live streaming plans, either in the app or elsewhere. They've done it before for media events, but not for WWDC keynotes where people are paying $1500+ to see it live.

It's not like Apple needs to hold anything back to make those tickets more attractive. They announced the whole video thing to slow demand in the first place.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
It really isn't that different, the 'buttons' were just icons in the old version as well, it was just inverted when selected instead of blue.

The old versions actually looked like buttons, here that sense of a pressed button has been changed to it just being highlighted.

jebbe

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Louisville, KY
As always various websites will be doing live streams of it, posting pictures and currently whats happening on stage. I now have an iPad and will be at work which will make it easier to view since I can just look at my iPad.

In anyones experience of doing so, anyone recommend a specific site that does a live stream that works well with the iPad?

nagypeter

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Ahh this is ugly....
Android is moving forward, ios is moving backward... Well done...

Last edited:

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
As always various websites will be doing live streams of it, posting pictures and currently whats happening on stage. I now have an iPad and will be at work which will make it easier to view since I can just look at my iPad.

In anyones experience of doing so, anyone recommend a specific site that does a live stream that works well with the iPad?

Most of the sites (Including MacRumors) now use modern web coding for their live streams, that worked quite well (in the past) with iOS devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.