Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

plants-vs-zombies2.jpg
PopCap first hinted at a Plants vs. Zombies sequel in March, announcing a summer launch date. The company followed that up by narrowing down the release date to July, and now PopCap has announced that the game's official launch is planned for July 18.

In addition to unveiling a new animated trailer, PopCap has also provided some details on the upcoming game, which is titled Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time. The sequel features the same lane defense gameplay that made the original a hit, but it includes time travel to all new locations.
Designed from the ground up as a live service, the ever-expanding universe of Plants vs. Zombies 2 continues the epic struggle of plants defending your brainz against zombies from your backyard through the vast reaches of time, both past and future. New worlds with new levels, plants, zombies and new ways to play will be released on an ongoing basis. Leveraging the touch interface of Apple's popular mobile devices, Plants vs. Zombies 2 includes all-new touch-screen power-ups that enable players to "break the fourth wall" and interact with zombies directly, as well as via plant defenses.

Also returning for the sequel is Crazy Dave, the addled neighbor who serves as a guide for players and shopkeeper for special plant upgrades and other tools and weapons. New touch-screen power-ups, plant food that supercharges plants, and novel new game mechanics that both help and hinder players' efforts to thwart the zombie hordes will enthrall existing fans and new players alike.
PopCap has also announced that Plants vs. Zombies 2 will be free to play, with in-game items and upgrades available for a fee. The company claims that players will be able to access "the vast majority of the game" without paying money.

PopCap is planning to provide an exclusive look at Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time at E3 next week. The original Plants vs. Zombies game for both the iPhone and the iPad can be downloaded from the App Store for $0.99.

- Plants vs. Zombies [Direct Link]
- Plants vs. Zombies HD [Direct Link]

Article Link: Plants vs. Zombies 2 to Launch on July 18 For Free

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
id rather pay than being bothered by ads popping up all the time and in app purchase reminders tbh

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
I'm so bummed. The sequel to my favorite iOS game ever is going to be an EA-style freemium nightmare.

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
This is the worst news. I bet I played PvZ 20 times. Loved that game so much. The sequel being freemium means I probably won't be finishing the game.

I've been playing Plants vs Zombies Adventures lately on Facebook. I got to the point where the game just got annoying and it was all because of the freemium thing. I would have been happy to spend $10-20 on the game, but that wouldn't get you very far. The in game purchases were just too expensive.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Echoing all other posts, I'd love a game I could just buy and enjoy.

I don't want another "Simpsons: Tapped out" kind of game, full of consumable IAPs (oh, yes, you can play it for free if you're willing to perform one minor task per day and then wait until the counter runs down).

EA are sucking all the fun out of games.

I can see it now - 10h until your sunflowers produce more sun. Pay $0.99 to skip. Where's the fun?

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
This free-to-play BS is out of control. I would much rather pay the $20 and not have to worry about not having the complete game.

This means ads, in-app purchase reminders, and being nickeled and dimed to death with paying $5 per new type of plant or some nonsense like that.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
add iCloud support for godsake or link it to an id. im sick of playing this game on all my iDevices all over again

Mycoolroy

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2013
This is a terrible sign for the future of iOS gaming. Real racing already did it, now plants versus zombies. Maybe next will be infinity blade. I've noticed that many games that include in app purchases do devious things like get you hooked at first And wait for you to invest your time in the game then, during the middle of the game extremely up the difficulty to force you to buy an app purchases if you want to complete the game... Its just wrong. I've also heard from a developer that some companies even enlist psychologist to figure out when is best to strike you and when you are at your most vulnerable I think that it is immoral and something should be done about it.

For example I like how Apple added a notification there when you buy the app that the app includes in a purchases I think that's a good step in the right direction. Because I and I'm sure many others want to avoid purchasing those apps. Even paid games now are offering in app purchases and they use the same heavy-handed tactics. It's probably because they all plan on going free down the line sometime and that's yet another reason to never purchase apps with in app purchases anymore.

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
IAP isn't always bad. IE, expansion packs for games have been around for a long time and I don't think anyone complains about those - they're essentially IAP. Maybe this will be like that.

Or maybe IAP will just be all about buying hats and other cosmetic things.

There are many ways IAP can be done that isn't evil.

But of course you're all right to be upset about this series, but not by this news. What should upset you is the fact that EA is at the helm, meaning that this game is guaranteed bull. EA is the only company to have won the golden poo from Consumer Reports two years in a row and it looks like they're on track to win it a third time. Honestly, EA hasn't made a single good game in... more than a decade?

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Forget it, not downloading this game. When they say "the vast majority of the game" will be available for free, they conveniently don't mention that certain levels will likely be impossibly difficult unless you fork up some cash.

I absolutely don't mind paying up front for a game. I *do* mind being taken for a fool with these ridiculous "free" games.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
Wait! EA bought PvZ? Not downloading it sorry, i'm not playing a pay to have fun game. I'll gladly give €2,69 but no freemium! :(

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
EA seriously sucks. Why do they keep ruining these studios that they bought out? They ruined Firemint and Real Racing 3 with freemium shenanigans, and now they're slowly ruining Popcaps games. Zuma Blitz on FB was turned to complete crap recently, shoving transactions down your face and ruined the overall feel of the gameplay. Now they're setting sights on PVZ. Is PVZ Adventures on FB is any indication of the direction they'll be going with this game, then its going to be a travesty. Enough with the damn microtransactions, just let us buy the damn game and be done with it.

Thank you EA, for slowly killing one of the most beloved indie studios around. Idk what the hell got into Popcap thinking EA would be a good home for their studio, especially when they've been indie for so long. I guess money talks.

Walter White

macrumors regular
May 19, 2013
IAP isn't always bad. IE, expansion packs for games have been around for a long time and I don't think anyone complains about those - they're essentially IAP. Maybe this will be like that.

Or maybe IAP will just be all about buying hats and other cosmetic things.

There are many ways IAP can be done that isn't evil.

Yeah if only that would always be the case.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
This is why I happily paid $10 for KotOR. One charge and I get the whole game. I bought Real Racing when that was $10 and other games like World Of Goo. Have absolutely no problems paying realistic prices for good games but this premium feels like being in a Skinner box and being played or a fool.

Was so looking forward to PvZ2 also. Bought the first one before all the gold coin IAP was added as well.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I absolutely despise Fremium applications. Most of the time I get into it, get going and then you're stuck unless you pay $.99 to get xyz . . . for 3 uses. No, no, no, no, no.

Charge me $4.99, or $9.99, and let me play it at my leisure as much as I want, beating it over and over again if I so choose without having to keep forking over more cash.

I'm done, out, finished. Won't even bother looking at it.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
To all the whiners already complaining, here's an idea: why not reserve judgement until AFTER the game is released? We don't even know how the IAP are going to be implemented yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.