Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Late last year, Apple introduced the iPad mini alongside an update to the full-size iPad lineup, with many observers believing that Apple would continue to update the two lines simultaneously going forward.

ipad_5_mini_ciccarese-800x600.jpg
Mockup of fifth-generation iPad next to iPad mini

A new report from Digitimes claims, however, that the next-generation iPad may appear as much as several months before the next version of the iPad mini.
Volume production of a new-generation 9.7-inch iPad will begin in July-August with shipments in the third quarter estimated at five million units. Meanwhile, a second-generation iPad mini may see its volume production postponed from September to November, according to Taiwan-based supply chain makers.
The updated full-size iPad is widely expected to see a significant redesign that will take design cues from the iPad mini and be roughly 15% thinner and 25-33% lighter than the current models.

Digitimes believes that Apple may be pushing back the next iPad mini launch in part to give more focus to the redesigned full-size iPad in the face of the iPad mini's popularity, but also due to mass production issues with the iPad mini, which has been rumored to be gaining a Retina display. Today's claims from Digitimes are not necessarily new, but they do provide a fresh direct comparison between Apple's potential plans for the two iPad lines.

Reliable KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo had previously reported that technical challenges would likely see the next iPad mini pushed back from Apple's original internal timeline, with an introduction likely coming in the September-November timeframe rather than earlier as some had thought. Digitimes' claim today suggests that the launch could be at the end of that timeframe, bumping up against the holiday shopping season.

Article Link: iPad Mini Update to Trail Next Full-Size iPad Launch by Several Months?

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
A. Digitimes.
B. Not gonna happen. Apple would mot likely wait to release both at the same time; they're not exactly going to have two separate iPad events within a month or two of each other.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
The Ipad Mini is the iPads on death, I for one prefer the mini's form factor over the iPad and this may be enough to convince me to hold out for a retina mini.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
I can wait for both iPads till late this year. mine still works fine, but the rumours of next gen device always gets me excited.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
I assumed this would be the case. Mass production mainly but also to assist in maintaining ridiculously high sales volume of both new products.

They did it with the iPad mini by not releasing a redesigned 9.7" form factor and also with the rMBP by releasing the 13" a few months after the 15".

campingsk8er

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2011
Elizabethtown, PA
This is going to be bad for me. I made the decision a long time ago that if the next iPad mini received a Retina display, I would be getting that, ONLY if the 5th generation iPad didn't receive a thinner/ lighter bezel to make the physical size smaller. Now I'm at a fork in the road. If this does happen, what do I do? Do I get the iPad mini w/ Retina, or wait a couple of months to see if the 5th gen iPad has a smaller bezel? Ughh

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
A) This is the reason why you should not immediately dismiss Digitimes: https://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/0...ctober-launch-with-ipad-3-as-interim-upgrade/
B) They did just that last year?

A. Do you want me to link you to the countless, countless rumors Digitimes has spread that have never come to fruition?
B. Weren't both current iPad's released on the same day last year? If you're talking about the 3rd gen vs. the 4th gen, it's widly accepted that the 4th gen was introduced to unify the accessory ecosystem.

Jaredly

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2010
A new iPad revision. Again?

I find this interesting. Among my friends (I am in college) they are all disappointed that apple doesn't update their hardware as frequently as other companies. To non tech savvy people to wait 6 months to buy a new product is unheard of. They will just go out an buy the top of the line android tablet that came out days ago since they don't want to by a 5 month old device from Apple.

MacFan23

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
I find this interesting. Among my friends (I am in college) they are all disappointed that apple doesn't update their hardware as frequently as other companies. To non tech savvy people to wait 6 months to buy a new product is unheard of. They will just go out an buy the top of the line android tablet that came out days ago since they don't want to by a 5 month old device from Apple.

I find most non tech savvy people won't particularly follow release dates and are surprised when a new product comes out, "A new one already, I only just bought this"

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011

These people are in the minority I would assume. For most people they are happy buying an iPad every 1-2 years or even longer.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Any chance that Apple would stagger the release so the mini Retina doesn't steal the thunder from the new iPad?

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
This is going to be bad for me. I made the decision a long time ago that if the next iPad mini received a Retina display, I would be getting that, ONLY if the 5th generation iPad didn't receive a thinner/ lighter bezel to make the physical size smaller. Now I'm at a fork in the road. If this does happen, what do I do? Do I get the iPad mini w/ Retina, or wait a couple of months to see if the 5th gen iPad has a smaller bezel? Ughh

You buy both, which is what Apple prefers.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
My friend's iPad mini got stolen last week. He says he hasn't even missed it. LOL.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
This makes sense. Apple doesn't usually give you multiple awesome options. They stagger them. I just got a mini and its awesome but I think I might wait for a retina mini.

Nova Sensei

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2012
The better question is why wouldn't they stagger the releases? It makes perfect sense to do so. This is Apple we are talking about....

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012

I am now convinced I am getting old. I buy things and keep them - thats why I buy good quality things that last. The idea of something 5 months being "old" scares me. How much life-changing innovation do you think can be done in 5 months?

----------

These people are in the minority I would assume. For most people they are happy buying an iPad every 1-2 years or even longer.

Agree. For many people it would be even more than that. I dont understand the constant micro-upgrade cycle.

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
I think since they appeal to different sorts of people, Steve will want to stagger the releases. It just makes the most sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.