Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Two months ago, Topeka Capital Markets analyst Brian White gained significant attention for his claims that Apple is targeting a late 2013 launch for its long-rumored television set. In his research note, White claimed that Apple has been working on a 60-inch television that will use an "iRing" motion controller as well as iPad-like auxiliary second screens.

In a new research note published today, White stands by his previous claims, continuing to believe that Apple is looking to service subsidies to help bring the upfront cost of the television set down.
We were told that carriers will be an important part of the go-to-market strategy for Apple's TV ambitions and subsidize the $1,500-$2,500 "iTV", offering customers a single bill that will include a wireless plan (i.e., iPhone, iPad), Internet connection services, an "iTV" plan and other services. As we have previously discussed, the 60-inch "iTV" (50-inch and 55-inch may also be available) is anticipated to come with one iPad-sized "mini iTV" with the option to add more "mini iTVs".
Such bundling may, however, be difficult given that customers frequently have different wireless carriers and cable or satellite television providers, although some providers such as Time Warner Cable and Verizon Wireless have teamed up to offer bundles of TV, Internet, home phone, and mobile phone service.

apple_tv_interface_2012.jpg
White goes on to describe his vision for how the TV will be controlled:
Motion detection technology will be used on the "mothership iTV" and the "iRing" will allow for improved control accuracy. For example, we believe the "iRing" will provide for more accurate control of channel surfing, content management and settings via motion detection, while also offering a more seamless gaming experience on Game Center. We were told that "iRing" will not be the sole option available to control the "mothership iTV", as iOS devices (i.e., iPhone, iPad) and Siri will provide alternatives for similar or different use cases. Clearly, there will be many different uses for "iTV" and similar to the various devices (i.e., remote, Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad, wireless keyboard, etc.) that are used to control an iMac, we believe it makes sense for consumers to have different options to control the "iTV".
Finally, White believes that component production for Apple's rumored lower-cost iPhone will ramp up this month, setting the stage for a possible introduction as soon as next month. Most sources have, however, indicated that it will launch somewhat later, with KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo indicating that a launch in the August-October timeframe is most likely due to Apple's continued work on color coatings for the device's plastic shell.

Article Link: Analyst Still Believes Apple Television Set With 'iRing' Motion Control Coming Late This Year

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
i would rather use a wii-mote like controller than put on a ring.

johnhmeyer123

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2006
Why does Apple always have trouble with these color coatings? Remember the rediculous delay of the white iPhone 4?

Jugney

macrumors member
May 6, 2008
Given Tim Cook's confession of interest in wearables last week, the iRing is actually sounding less far-fetched.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
That horrible remote control I have to use is so awful. I have to pick it up, and push a button or two.

What an incredible burden. Now wearing a ring I need to put on and take off every time I want to watch TV, wave my hand around, deal with the inevitable glitches, is a much better idea.

Or, instead of the oh-so-1980's remote...that big heavy, awful remote...I can have the incredible convenience of using my iPad. Now that's a major improvement.

And finally, I can use Siri. No problems there since Siri has been so precise in the past, and since it has to use Apple servers...well, I just can't believe what an improvement these dandy little gadgets will be over that awful remote I have to struggle with now.

Gimmick for gimmick sake? :confused:

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
I guess whatever they present wont be a game changer anymore.
For controls we all saw Xbox one already. Even if the gestures will be different, Apple won't shock any competitors.
Maybe by offering great content. But there already are so many others offering that.
Apple seems so slow these days.
Still hope they'll prove me wrong.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
This iRing business sounds like such a bad idea. It needs to die, quickly.

"Honey, want to rent a movie tonight?"

"Yeah, I'll get the ring."

"Guess what? I'm already wearing it!"

"Oh, honey"

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
That horrible remote control I have to use is so awful. I have to pick it up, and push a button or two.

What an incredible burden. Now wearing a ring I need to put on and take off every time I want to watch TV, wave my hand around, deal with the inevitable glitches, is a much better idea.

Or, instead of the oh-so-1980's remote...that big heavy, awful remote...I can have the incredible convenience of using my iPad. Now that's a major improvement.

And finally, I can use Siri. No problems there since Siri has been so precise in the past, and since it has to use Apple servers...well, I just can't believe what an improvement these dandy little gadgets will be over that awful remote I have to struggle with now.

Gimmick for gimmick sake? :confused:

But, it's wearable. In case you missed it, it's the new black!

I don't think this is about gimmickry though. It's Apple desperately trying to push out a "new category" because investors and nay-sayers are clamoring for one.

The idea of an iRing just sounds so strange to me... I don't see that working well...

Will I need to put on a ring whenever I want to use the TV? Because that will be annoying... If it's only optional, then most people will only "put it on when they need it", but then never actually put on. If it's something that Apple expects us to never take off (to eliminate the stigma of "oh, let me put on my ring to watch tv for a few minutes"), then what incentive will the ring have for us to keep it on constantly? I don't really see people doing that.. What functionality can you put in a ring? No room for a screen. Plus then you'll need to buy a ring for every member of the household. I also don't see the benefit of manipulating the TV with a single finger anyway. Try pointing and wiggling your finger right now as if you were trying to control the TV... The whole thing just seems awkward.

What would make much more sense is controlling with the iWatch. You can build more incentive to wear a watch all the time. You can still use air gestures if you want, but what would make more sense is to perform swipes on the screen to create actions like changing the channel, volume, etc

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
The question is if it will be reasonably priced in line with other HDTVs. I don't see alot of people just getting rid of their current HDTV because Apple comes out with one.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
The idea of an iRing just sounds so strange to me... I don't see that working well...

Will I need to put on a ring whenever I want to use the TV? Because that will be annoying... If it's only optional, then most people will only "put it on when they need it", but then never actually put on.

People can't even put on condoms, even when their health depends on it. I don't see them reaching for a ring to change the stupid channel.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I want a bigger iMac. 27" is too small (I'd rather have something in the 32-37" range.) Can I put the 50" version of this on my desk and use it as an iMac?

I want typical iMac resolution, too, if not better.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
People can't even put on condoms, even when their health depends on it. I don't see them reaching for a ring to change the stupid channel.

However, the possibility of an iCondom allowing one to control their TV with...

Maybe not practical...:p:eek:

And then there's the women's issue...

DCstewieG

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
U.S.A.
A subsidized model could make sense. The only reason millions of people buy $650+ phones every two years is because they don't know they are.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
If in fact the iRing is a legitimate thing, it will be strongly tied to motion control in gaming and less so to the day-to-day operations of the TV.

This guy lost me when he said "we believe the "iRing" will provide for more accurate control of channel surfing".

Finally, a solution to all those years of inaccurate channel surfing!

robanybody

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2013
However, the possibility of an iCondom allowing one to control their TV with...

Maybe not practical...:p:eek:

And then there's the women's issue...

Ahh, so you missed the Apple exec a month or so ago who was talking about the iRabbit? Combine that with the iWatch and you have a real iPolicemans paradise. :)

----------

I wouldn't get used to calling it an iTV.

Couldn't call it that in the UK. ITV is one of the major broadcasters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.