Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enigma2118

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2006
My brother has just bought a 50" LG TV with surround sound speakers. The TV does not operate without the speakers attached. There is a remote for the TV and one for the Speakers. Both have at least 60 buttons on them. To turn the TV on I have to pick up one remote (which looks exactly the same as the other) and press the button. Because they both look alike the speaker turns on and not the TV. So I pick up the other remote to now turn the TV on :rolleyes: So now the TV and the speakers are on I then have to pick up the Sky TV remote to turn on the Sky box and select a channel. If I want to change the volume I can no longer use the Sky remote I need to guess which of the two identical remotes to use. If I get it wrong the + and - will change the input channel. So to watch TV I need to be accompanied by 3 remotes and about 300 buttons.

Want to watch a DVD? 4 remotes 330 buttons.

Apple understands the stupidity of all the remotes etc. Their device, whatever it may be will be elegant. While an iRing sounds a bit gimmicky the less pissing around with remotes and thousands of buttons the better.

I would like to see a touchscreen remote with built in tv guide. slide up and down to view whats on, tap the program you want to watch.

EDIT: Oh and it takes 10 seconds for the speakers to turn on and off. Just because it says Goodbye doesnt make it better!

Jared Spool just talked about this issue in his blog over at User Interface Engineering. Calls it Experience Rot - http://bit.ly/11zJ5Y9

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
An iRing controlling an Apple Television?

I can't wait to watch Captain Planet on such a device!

hsFRIdK.jpg

"Let our powers combine!"

The power is yours! (Apple is done with 'power').

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
I want to vomit every time I see the photo of that horrid AppleTV interface. It's quite possibly the ugliest thing Apple has ever designed and released to the public. :cool:

lildimsum7

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
Analysts have no common sense. Why would anyone buy a new tv when they could get an htpc or xbox one that does the same things, but much cheaper? The ring control has got to be the stupidest idea yet

lildimsum7

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
My brother has just bought a 50" LG TV with surround sound speakers. The TV does not operate without the speakers attached. There is a remote for the TV and one for the Speakers. Both have at least 60 buttons on them. To turn the TV on I have to pick up one remote (which looks exactly the same as the other) and press the button. Because they both look alike the speaker turns on and not the TV. So I pick up the other remote to now turn the TV on :rolleyes: So now the TV and the speakers are on I then have to pick up the Sky TV remote to turn on the Sky box and select a channel. If I want to change the volume I can no longer use the Sky remote I need to guess which of the two identical remotes to use. If I get it wrong the + and - will change the input channel. So to watch TV I need to be accompanied by 3 remotes and about 300 buttons.

Want to watch a DVD? 4 remotes 330 buttons.

Apple understands the stupidity of all the remotes etc. Their device, whatever it may be will be elegant. While an iRing sounds a bit gimmicky the less pissing around with remotes and thousands of buttons the better.

I would like to see a touchscreen remote with built in tv guide. slide up and down to view whats on, tap the program you want to watch.

EDIT: Oh and it takes 10 seconds for the speakers to turn on and off. Just because it says Goodbye doesnt make it better!

so they're gonna copy xbox one? htpcs also make tv operation easier and has way more functions than something apple comes out with. lol, "surround sound speakers" attached to a tv? now that's a gimmick!

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Couldn't call it that in the UK. ITV is one of the major broadcasters.

That has repeatedly preemptively announced they would sue Apple into bankruptcy if they even thought to call anything iTV

Personally I think the future Smart TV will be a dumb one. Take it back to the empty monitor that can handle both computer and tv uses, with HDMI etc. keep the smart in the STB so that it can be more readily updated. This to me is important because codecs etc may start taking off and that box will need to handle them.

dkb123

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2013
hmmm

this reminds me of all the comments before the iphone ...

"everyone loves their QUERTY keyboard ... this is going to be a HUGE joke"

"what does Apple know about phones?"

"is everyone else waiting for the collosal Steve Jobs FAIL on his new phone?"

"RIM research shows that no one will buy a phone from Apple."

and on and on ...

lots of "I hate the iRing" when none of us even know what the *#@!@#* iRing IS.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on iTV and iWatch until I see it and confirm it's dumb ...

Personally I don't think I want to be making physical gestures to change channels. Having said that, I do know that the current cable TV service is incredibly bad. I use it because I have to ... kind of the way I used to use my QUERTY keyboard :)

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Just bring the app store the Apple TV. That would completely revolutionize the industry.
Samsung and all the other TV manufacturers have tried but frankly their solutions are so poor it's a travesty.

Bring us an app store so HBO, Showtime, AMC and all the others can bring content using it. And Apple takes their usual 30% of all subscription fees.

iisdan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010
If it requires a wearable for controlling it, kinect will kick it's ass straight to failed device hell. this is a stupid rumor and needs to stop.

BobZap

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013
Upon reading "Two months ago, Topeka Capital Markets analyst Brian White..."

ooooook...moving on to the next article

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
That horrible remote control I have to use is so awful. I have to pick it up, and push a button or two.

What an incredible burden. Now wearing a ring I need to put on and take off every time I want to watch TV, wave my hand around, deal with the inevitable glitches, is a much better idea.

Or, instead of the oh-so-1980's remote...that big heavy, awful remote...I can have the incredible convenience of using my iPad. Now that's a major improvement.

And finally, I can use Siri. No problems there since Siri has been so precise in the past, and since it has to use Apple servers...well, I just can't believe what an improvement these dandy little gadgets will be over that awful remote I have to struggle with now.

Gimmick for gimmick sake? :confused:

I agree that motion and voice control are crap, but using the iPad to control the TV is great.

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
In other news...

In other news, some guy somewhere believes something.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Ahh, so you missed the Apple exec a month or so ago who was talking about the iRabbit? Combine that with the iWatch and you have a real iPolicemans paradise. :)

----------

Couldn't call it that in the UK. ITV is one of the major broadcasters.

Sure they could.... The IOS name is a trademarked by Cisco, Apple came to an agreement with Cisco to use it, for a nice tidy sum I'm sure.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I want to vomit every time I see the photo of that horrid AppleTV interface. It's quite possibly the ugliest thing Apple has ever designed and released to the public. :cool:

I suspect there has been uglier if we really looked.

My issue with this interface is that I don't see the point. It's running off a variant of iOS so why not use that interface. same icons, same controls, same stuff in the apps in the same way. If anything it would encourage folks to get an Apple TV because it's familiar

And then make the remote app just mirror the interface on an iDevice and it will be a breeze for folks to make the mental jump of what to look for. Because right now if you hit Music on an Apple TV you go to the store, not your music

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
This is the closest thing to an Apple April Fools Day joke I have ever read that is apparently not actually an Apple April Fools Day joke.

iiechapman

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2012
I think if we stop thinking of "ring" as a wedding ring and think of what "ring" could be if we stopped limiting the definition. Imagine a small aluminum "ring" with an array of IR sensors , iSight cameras and microphones . This "ring" could be placed anywhere in proximity of the television and pickup any remote signal, and respond to any voice commands , and send any remote signal to control OTHER devices , the cameras could provide motion control in 3 dimensions or offer video chat over a tv FaceTime interface . The "ring" could have a speaker set in it and lights to indicate when a new show is on or play a notification sound when someone is asking to play against you in a game made for iTV. This sounds like a revolutionary new category of device and a solution to MANY problems.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Sure they could.... The IOS name is a trademarked by Cisco, Apple came to an agreement with Cisco to use it, for a nice tidy sum I'm sure.

ITV is the name of the TV company, not one of it's products. Could you imagine the reaction if Apple tried to call it the CBS TV or Fox TV?

Do you think they would license their name "for a nice tidy sum"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.