Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
Can't anyone see in the first photo that Apple has already revealed the most beautiful and magical TV yet...the 36 foot iTV©!

:p

Astroexe

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
Netherlands
The Apps overlay, right? And their main banner image is of multiple apps coming together to the "new iOS"

It's an opening to the sandbox.

They're opening their APIs and letting Apps "overlay", giving developers a whole new world to bring their experiences together.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Hmmm, personally, bar iOS7 I think the unveiling of the Playstation 4 next Monday will dwarf anything Apple does at WWDC? In fact, why did they choose the 10th? The same date as MS and Sony's E3 conferences, and with new consoles they are sure to get all the tech lime light?

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
Hmmm, personally, bar iOS7 I think the unveiling of the Playstation 4 next Monday will dwarf anything Apple does at WWDC? In fact, why did they choose the 10th? The same date as MS and Sony's E3 conferences, and with new consoles they are sure to get all the tech lime light?

E3 starts on June 11...

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Awesome slogan. I hope it means big, meaningful changes!

The new rMBP. 1/8" thin with no built in keyboard or storage. New features include 1 USB 3.0 Port and 2 Thunderbolt ports (for ethernet and monitor), and one new AS port (Apple Storage).

New accessories:
- smaller thinner external bluetooth keyboard to accompany your rMBP
- external thunderbolt SSD Drives
* 128GB - $225
* 256GB - $500
* 512GB - $900
* 1TB - $1800
- MagSafe3
- Adapters for use with MagSafe 2 and 1 are $29
- New carrying cases starting at $99 to compartmentalize and carry your new rMBP and all its components.
- Free downloadable manuals to help you assemble and dissemble your components for use in no time.

New Applecare:
- Only available on original purchases from Apple, when NEW.
- No transfer of warranty (making your used system much less valuable - everyone buys new)

One more thing.....

We are renaming it, the 2013 Mac Pro!

designaholic

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
As I understand "Where A Whole New World's Developing", it is to mean that iOS development is going to be opened up to a whole new world of developers. You will now be able to build native apps using only Javascript.

You can already build native apps with HTML5 / Javascript using Phonegap.

This more likely means the opening-up of new API's for deeper third-party app integration with iOS, ala Tim Cook's hint in that recent interview.

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Apple is not innovating. Same Moscone Center, similar banners, nothing new!... :p

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Looks like those app icons have rounded corners. Other MR article speculated they were going to square corners. I get the feeling nobody really knows. :eek:

The app tiles will continue to have rounded corners. There are millions (billions?) of iOS devices out there with home buttons that have the app tiles with rounded corners. They are not going to break that paradigm anytime soon.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom

They aren't even in the same league. Anything Apple announces will pretty much crush all the hype over the PS3 and Xbox One.

CGJay

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2011
They aren't even in the same league. Anything Apple announces will pretty much crush all the hype over the PS3 and Xbox One.

Unless Apple announces something 'absolutely magical' like an iWatch or television, then the PS4 will be the highlight of the week.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011

If they announce a new device, you might be correct. If they announce "we made it thinner" and took away w,x,y and z in the process, then no, Apple will not win the media battle. Innovation requires more than making something a few mil thinner and squaring the icons.

----------

Unless Apple announces something 'absolutely magical' like an iWatch or television, then the PS4 will be the highlight of the week.

Yea, if they announce an iWatch, LOL.... They will get the late night talk show laughs.

pezj

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
Uneasy

I hope Apple can live up to the hype. It's been a few years since we were all like "O snap Apple did what now??" Lately everything has been very status quo.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California

I don't think it really matters. We're talking about a developer conference vs. a consumer electronics show.

Last edited:

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
The app tiles will continue to have rounded corners. There are millions (billions?) of iOS devices out there with home buttons that have the app tiles with rounded corners. They are not going to break that paradigm anytime soon.

If Apple's idea of innovation is anything like before, the only reaction they'll get will be:

Tim Cook: iOS 7, with an all new style of icons. Simply amazing. We're so proud of it.

CupDrink.gif

Truth be told, I'm hoping Jony Ive will show us something nice. Changing the styles of the UI isn't going to be enough. They have to make a big splash, or Apple's gonna loose ground. Yes the iPhone loyalists will stick with Apple no matter what. If it has the :apple: on the phone, they'll buy it regardless.

Big/Deal

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2013
You can already build native apps with HTML5 / Javascript using Phonegap.

This more likely means the opening-up of new API's for deeper third-party app integration with iOS, ala Tim Cook's hint in that recent interview.

This is iOS specific, officially supported, complete set of APIs for creating fully native applications iOS with Javascript. Not hacks, hybrid apps or multi-platform apps. The goal of this is to make it easier and cheaper to build applications on the iOS platform (Everybody knows enough Javascript to get by, right?).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.