Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PDXoPDX

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2008
Shoo, go away Zynga! We don't want your crappy games, business model, or anything you touch.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Wow how would you like to be one of their shareholders?

Kinda like Cisco buying PureVideo for like $1B and shutting it down a year and a half later.

" Gee, we failed to realize how good the cameras were going to be in phones", sorry.

Business ineptitude is amazing.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I'll be happy when Zynga isn't a player in the games industry anymore. So many bad practices and ripped-off games, undelivered promises and a crappy attitude. Their comeuppance is long overdue.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I liked draw something but hated zynga. Always seemed like the only group they disrespected more than their customers were their own employees.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Zynga's inevitable downfall. That's what happens when your entire business model is predicated on annoying people on Facebook.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
No, it wasn't going to last forever, nor would it be able to. All these games except Angry Birds are fads.

Angry birds have one advantage over all other games - people play it while they're on the toilet. And since everybody has to use a toilet at some point of the day, those birds will be flying like **** to the toilet.

And yes, i also hate Zynga and i dont rly know why. Hated them since they started annoying me with all the games on facebook. Also why i hate them is that couple of years ago a really smart and fun game called "Drop7" came out. It was nice and free, until Zynga bought it, put the price of it to more than 2$ and left it as it was without any updates. And now it just sits there in Apple and google play store, not updated to match bigger screens (its was made for the iPhone 1 and it still has the same resolution) and its really sad all together. Whatever they touch becomes poop.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
These guys are the EA of social games. Buy a company for its licenses, then shut it down and churn out crap sequels to the franchises, devaluing the purchased companies name rather than your own.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Mobile games, the most fickle industry.

----------

Angry birds have one advantage over all other games - people play it while they're on the toilet. And since everybody has to use a toilet at some point of the day, those birds will be flying like **** to the toilet.

And yes, i also hate Zynga and i dont rly know why. Hated them since they started annoying me with all the games on facebook. Also why i hate them is that couple of years ago a really smart and fun game called "Drop7" came out. It was nice and free, until Zynga bought it, put the price of it to more than 2$ and left it as it was without any updates. And now it just sits there in Apple and google play store, not updated to match bigger screens (its was made for the iPhone 1 and it still has the same resolution) and its really sad all together. Whatever they touch becomes poop.

This is one of those things that makes no sense at all to me. How long do you spend on a toilet to be able to fit in a round of Angry Birds? Even if you have time, why play a game?
Heh, I just don't see the appeal at all!

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I'll be happy when Zynga isn't a player in the games industry anymore. So many bad practices and ripped-off games, undelivered promises and a crappy attitude. Their comeuppance is long overdue.

People have been saying exactly that about EA for years, sadly Zynga is likely to survive to become a big player by using the exact business model EA has been using for years, Buy a company that's doing well, has good franchises in its position, fire everyone, and churn out crap products using the goodwill the company built up before you bought it, devalue its name, move on to purchase another new company to devalue.

Unless of course EA by Zynga at some point..:eek:

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
Zynga always made me uncomfortable. I don't really know why. They just seem sleazy. Maybe it's because of all the IAP's. Or the fact that they I feel like the lucked out with some early hits and yet never really understood out to make great games.

I am kind of glad to see them go.

Their business modes was to bac the "EA" of mobile and social. Whatever anybody else had, they had to have a copy too. That way you never leave Zynga's servers. I'd say it worked well.

What we are seeing now is the first real growing pains of the company. This is where the IPO investors push the remaining founders out.., while the founders are scrambling to save the ship. The Guys on the ship at IPO will then sell all their shares to EA or another big player and the company get assimilated.

jlnr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2010
No, it wasn't going to last forever, nor would it be able to. All these games except Angry Birds are fads.

Not in terms of money if you look at Top Grossing. Clash of Clans, Candy Crush Saga and Hay Day have been absolutely dominating for months now, plus Hobbit/Simpsons. Angry Birds only makes a short blip every time a new game is released, kind of like the Lego games. They have done some good brand building though.

It's weird that Zynga is failing in a market that is dominated by the cow-clicking they've been famous for. o_O

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I think Draw Something was something that was sustainable, the problem was that they continued to tinker with it and screwed it up.

I know a lot of my friends were ticked off when they changed to the randomness of how many bombs it cost for a new set of words. So instead they would just quit and then reload later to get a new set. The end result is they ended up playing much less and lost interest. Also I really miss the stats from the earlier versions as I found it to be a challenge to see how fast I could guess, or how quick I could draw a picture that my friends could correctly guess etc.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I think everybody except for Zynga saw this coming way before they even acquired OMGPOP

I read an AMA from a former employee on Reddit and people didn't see it coming but severance packages were quite handsome and included healthcare.

typeadam

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
Wait.. am I missing something here? Perhaps I'm ignorant or didn't read this properly but the purpose of acquiring the company was just to shut it down? :confused:
Damn, talk about going after your competition.
Wait! I just solved Apple's problem! Acquire Samsung then kill it off! :eek::D:p (ready to get flamed for that by everyone w/o a sense of humor).

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Wait.. am I missing something here? Perhaps I'm ignorant or didn't read this properly but the purpose of acquiring the company was just to shut it down? :confused:

Closing them down wasn't the intention. They bought them hoping to make a profit. At the time of the acquisition, OMGPOP was the fastest growing app in history with 15 million users in just the first 3 months of it's release. Zynga bought them at that point and that same month they lost 1/3 of their users (5 million). From there it continued to lose users. It's not a game I can see people playing forever.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Wow how would you like to be one of their shareholders?

Anyone that bought Zynga was an idiot. Their IPO was grossly overvalued and had nowhere to go but down. The games they make are the kind of thing that will only attract users in the short term. Farmville, Words With Friends, Mafia Wars..... All games made to be played for a week or two then thrown aside. They somewhat understood that which is why they worked on so many games at a time hoping to have another game for their users when they got bored with the last one after a couple weeks. The problem is that kind of growth and release schedule just isn't sustainable. There is also a limit to how many stupid little games people will play. Few will spend years going from game to game to game.

Their other issue is that the majority of their revenue comes from their Facebook games. This is a bad business model in that it ties you to another company and makes them totally dependent on Facebook. They had to give a portion of their profits to Facebook for using the platform (and having access to all of their users). Should Facebook tomorrow decide to cut them off, they're f'd. You really don't want your company to be dependent on another company like that.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
what doesn't make sense is the ones that don't crash, like Angry Birds. Or is that also on its way down?

Ugh, I do not get that "game". I got bored of it within a few seconds of starting lol. Bioshock Infinite, it's not :-D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.