Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boba7523

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
I downloaded a few mp3 files and wanted VLC player to play it instead of iTunes. I right clicked on the file, went to Others and checked to always use VLC Player to open it. It works for that specific file, but not for every .mp3 file... How do i set it so that EVERY mp3 files is opened by VLC instead of just that one file?

Gurutech

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2006
I downloaded a few mp3 files and wanted VLC player to play it instead of iTunes. I right clicked on the file, went to Others and checked to always use VLC Player to open it. It works for that specific file, but not for every .mp3 file... How do i set it so that EVERY mp3 files is opened by VLC instead of just that one file?

Right click the file,
Click Get info
go to open with
select the program
and hit change all

That should do it.

boba7523

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Right click the file,
Click Get info
go to open with
select the program
and hit change all

That should do it.

Where's the change all button? I dont see it after clicking "open with -- > others ..."

I have a mid 2010 MBP with Lion

Edit: If you were talking about the "always open with," then that's what i did, and it still didn't open all .mp3 with VLC

Shiggity

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2007
It'd be nice if the "always open with" checkbox would do what it suggested... but I guess that'd be too much to ask.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
It'd be nice if the "always open with" checkbox would do what it suggested... but I guess that'd be too much to ask.

It actually does just not the way we think it is suppose to.

If you mark a specific file with 'Always open with' only that particular file will always open with the application.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It actually does just not the way we think it is suppose to.

If you mark a specific file with 'Always open with' only that particular file will always open with the application.

You are mistaken. If you do the "change all" as described in this thread, it will assign that app to whatever file type you selected. It has nothing to do with the specific file.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
You are mistaken. If you do the "change all" as described in this thread, it will assign that app to whatever file type you selected. It has nothing to do with the specific file.

I think you misunderstood me.

That is exactly what I am saying if you do not do the "Change All" then only that specific file will always open with the program you want it to.

But to everyone it would be common sense that if you click "Always open with" it would apply to all files of that format

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I think you misunderstood me.

That is exactly what I am saying if you do not do the "Change All" then only that specific file will always open with the program you want it to.

But to everyone it would be common sense that if you click "Always open with" it would apply to all files of that format

Okay... gotcha. Yes, I thought you were saying that somehow that "change all" setting was retained by the file and it would go away when the file did. :)

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Bump... this thread helped me with this annoying issue I've been having for a long time ^_^

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.