Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amaro2021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
Well do to my previous thread on forcing the Verizon prl on the Iphone 5, i guess i went over my data or "roaming data" and i get a letter in the mail saying their going to cancel my contract because of this. They are giving me to the 6/9/2013, I think this is complete BS i would like to keep my contract:mad:I was wondering if you guys know of anyway they can stop from canceling your contract. Have you came across this type of situation before? Have you stopped sprint from canceling your contract? And if so, how? Thank you:)

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Well do to my previous thread on forcing the Verizon prl on the Iphone 5, i guess i went over my data or "roaming data" and i get a letter in the mail saying their going to cancel my contract because of this. They are giving me to the 6/9/2013, I think this is complete BS i would like to keep my contract:mad:I was wondering if you guys know of anyway they can stop from canceling your contract. Have you came across this type of situation before? Have you stopped sprint from canceling your contract? And if so, how? Thank you:)

I would say just screw Sprint and either switch to T-Mobile or AT&T.

mumph

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
Im not sure what a PRL is but if its from a rival phone company I'm pretty sure YOU have voided the contract and so Sprint are canceling as per your agreement in the small print.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Why on earth would you want to stay with Sprint? unlimited data means nothing to me at 1mps download.

yes ive done it on my 4s and im gone over 500mb in a month and they havent canceled my contract,but when they asked me about it i told them how can i go over 300mb when im on 1x i get no 3G or LTE where im at.Im pretty sure they dont want to lose any customers:)

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Well do to my previous thread on forcing the Verizon prl on the Iphone 5, i guess i went over my data or "roaming data" and i get a letter in the mail saying their going to cancel my contract because of this.
Right, so when you sign up for service with carrier A, but somehow finagle it so that your phone spends the majority of time roaming on carrier B's network, you end up costing carrier A extra money (to cover your roaming costs).

From reading HowardForums over the years, carriers seem pretty firm about this. Your usage is costing them significantly more than other users that just occasionally roam, so they're dropping you.

By loading Verizon's PRL (preferred roaming list <of towers>) onto your Sprint phone, it kind of sounds like you went out of your way to help create the situation that you're in. :eek:

We you trying to engineer a situation where you pay Sprint's lower rates (and get unlimited data), but trick your phone to stay connected to Verizon's (subjectively "better") network? Best of both worlds?!

Anyhow, sounds like you should probably just sell your Sprint iPhone and sign up for proper Verizon service.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Are they charging you an ETF?
Be curious to see what the OP says, but I've never seen a case where the ETF is charged when the carrier cancels the contract. I've seen people post about purposefully roaming on other networks just to get their contracts cancelled without having to pay an ETF. :cool:

omgitsbees

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2013
Are they charging you an ETF?

This is what i'm curious about. Since you broke their contract though, I assume they are.

Be curious to see what the OP says, but I've never seen a case where the ETF is charged when the carrier cancels the contract. I've seen people post about purposefully roaming on other networks just to get their contracts cancelled without having to pay an ETF. :cool:

This is an interesting fact. Would be curious in hearing more about this.

ARSkemp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
This is what i'm curious about. Since you broke their contract though, I assume they are.

I had always thought that they way it was stated that the Carrier had the "right" to cancel you contract if you went over the limit. Not necessarily that you broke the contract. I do not know the verbiage of the contract off hand though, maybe someone can put up the clause related to this.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
So they're letting you out of the contract early, without charging an ETF (?), and letting you keep the subsedized phone? That sounds like a great situation to be in.

omgitsbees

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2013
I had always thought that they way it was stated that the Carrier had the "right" to cancel you contract if you went over the limit. Not necessarily that you broke the contract. I do not know the verbiage of the contract off hand though, maybe someone can put up the clause related to this.

That is a good point to bring up. Going over your limit is not the same as breaking your contract is a fair assumption.

So they're letting you out of the contract early, without charging an ETF (?), and letting you keep the subsedized phone? That sounds like a great situation to be in.

Yeah, to be honest this sounds like a positive thing. Having an modern unlocked smartphone with no contract is awesome. Double so if you didn't have to pay the $650 or whatever it costs for it normally.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
There are a lot of threads on the Sprint BAW forums on how to break your contract without ETF via roaming.

Roaming on another carrier is how you do it. And you do that by using a PRL that forces roaming. My understanding is that Sprint's limit is 300mb of data on roaming.

Why the OP would not understand this I don't know.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I think this it (below). Off-network usage = roaming. Every carrier contract that I've seen (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc) contains a similar clause.

Sprint reserves the right, without notice, to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if off-network usage in a month exceeds: (1) voice: 800 min. or a majority of minutes; or (2) data: 300 megabytes or a majority of kilobytes.
https://manage.sprintpcs.com/output/en_US/manage/MyPhoneandPlan/ChangePlans/popLegalTermsPrivacy.htm

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Roaming on another carrier is how you do it. And you do that by using a PRL that forces roaming. My understanding is that Sprint's limit is 300mb of data on roaming.

Why the OP would not understand this I don't know.
IMO, looking at a previous post from the OP (in another thread), he does seem to understand it. To me, he was just gambling that they wouldn't drop him because "they need customers".

yes ive done it on my 4s and im gone over 500mb in a month and they havent canceled my contract,but when they asked me about it i told them how can i go over 300mb when im on 1x i get no 3G or LTE where im at.Im pretty sure they dont want to lose any customers:)

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
One of the best post I've seen on this forum. Well put my friend.

Right, so when you sign up for service with carrier A, but somehow finagle it so that your phone spends the majority of time roaming on carrier B's network, you end up costing carrier A extra money (to cover your roaming costs).

From reading HowardForums over the years, carriers seem pretty firm about this. Your usage is costing them significantly more than other users that just occasionally roam, so they're dropping you.

By loading Verizon's PRL (preferred roaming list <of towers>) onto your Sprint phone, it kind of sounds like you went out of your way to help create the situation that you're in. :eek:

We you trying to engineer a situation where you pay Sprint's lower rates (and get unlimited data), but trick your phone to stay connected to Verizon's (subjectively "better") network? Best of both worlds?!

Anyhow, sounds like you should probably just sell your Sprint iPhone and sign up for proper Verizon service.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
uhhh....most of the ppl that installed the PRL did it to get out of their contract with sprint when I was with them.

Amaro2021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
No ETF!

Nope they wont charge me anything they just said cause i violated their terms and conditions and its costing them a lot of money and you guys are right sprint sucks hard! But i just don't want to lose my number that's what i'm worried about but other then that im happy that im gone..so other news i called T-mobile and asked if i can use my sprint iphone, the lady says o yes you can unlock your SPRINT iphone 5 and use it with us I'm like o OK so i called sprint back to confirm the unlocking they said we can give you a msl code but we cant walk you through the steps i was wondering is there a jailbreak source out there that allows unlocking since its illegal now, i don't know that's going to be hard to do so does anybody know? Thanks guys!:apple::apple:

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
Nope they wont charge me anything they just said cause i violated their terms and conditions and its costing them a lot of money and you guys are right sprint sucks hard! But i just don't want to lose my number that's what i'm worried about but other then that im happy that im gone..so other news i called T-mobile and asked if i can use my sprint iphone, the lady says o yes you can unlock your SPRINT iphone 5 and use it with us I'm like o OK so i called sprint back to confirm the unlocking they said we can give you a msl code but we cant walk you through the steps i was wondering is there a jailbreak source out there that allows unlocking since its illegal now, i don't know that's going to be hard to do so does anybody know? Thanks guys!:apple::apple:

Better port your number now.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay

That T-Mobile rep you talked to had no idea what she was talking about. Sprint will only unlock their iPhones for international sim cards only.

If you do decide to go to T-Mobile, you need to sign up with one of their phones.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Like I told you in the other thread that tmobile lady gave you wrong info.
You cant use a Sprint iphone 5 on Tmobile or any other US carrier.
They only unlock it for international GSM use.
Best bet is to sell it and get one for Tmobile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.