Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
At first I wanted to try the hack so I figured I'd do a quick speed test first. Wow - 45 down + 9 up! Seems like AT&T actually put some money into back haul in my area. LTE cellular is almost twice as fast as the highest tier of U-verse fiber. No complaints from me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 53

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Ok, so you prefer a system where the first 50% to reach the tower gets full speed and the second 50% gets totally screwed?

I'd prefer a "everybody gets half speed" system. Seems more useful to me.

Don't misinterpret my meaning!!

Sure, everybody gets half speed, but at the same time the cellular carrier needs to refund me half of my data service monthly fees, unless they advertise the reality from the very beginning.

Mr Dobey

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
Can't wait to see what my unthrottled speeds will be ;)

Fastest speed I've got on Verizon LTE so far. But accordingly and not coincidentally this kind of speed only occurs at night when much less users are on the network. I can totally see providers throttling speed during peak hours even though I disagree with it. Though you would think it would help the providers actually clear up more bandwidth since a faster connection means users will be hanging on the network for a shorter period of time.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    790.6 KB · Views: 40

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
I doubt it would be Apple that is responsible, as it would make no sense for them to want their smart phone to have worse bandwidth that others.

It's also not clear what is meant by iOS devices using more bandwidth than other smart phones; i.e - is that they're somehow inefficient, or simply that more users have them? If the latter then that is a terrible excuse to throttle them as those customers are paying the same as anyone else for that connection.

mmp1964

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2011
Shelby, NC only has a population of 20k residents, I'd imagine there is plenty of bandwidth to go around in that area so there wouldn't be a need to throttle, compared to a city like NYC

Shelby, NC is also used as a test access point, or whatever it would be called, for Charlotte, which has slightly more than 20K people.

ellergek

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
No way this is happening in Northwest Indiana on ATT LTE - I am getting close to 60Mbps download (consistently) and almost 20 Mbps upload speeds. Also, I was on wi-fi when I took the screen shot, but on LTE when I did the Speedtest (you can tell by the symbol to the left of the date).

Attachments

• IMG_0019.PNG
    IMG_0019.PNG
    513.4 KB · Views: 54

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
the cellular carrier needs to refund me half of my data service monthly fees, unless they advertise the reality from the very beginning.

And what speed did they advertise to you? I'm just trying to figure out what we're talking about here because I get the speeds AT&T told me I'd get on their website.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Must not be everywhere or for everyone.

In my area we have AT&T LTE and I'm sitting at:

27.47 Down
16.81 Up
46ms Ping

My wifi with Comcast and an Airport Extreme give me:

26.56 Down
3.90 Up
17ms Ping

Seems good here.

Cancelled
Oct 17, 2006
Umm....you're on WiFi??? maybe that has something to do with it...:cool:

Jesus Christ, you're like the 15th person to make this same comment. No, I was not on wifi when that test was done. Learn how to read the results.

njchris

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca USA
I have an iphone, my friend has Android phones... we hang out a lot and test the speeds at the same time. we get the same speeds.

This is on Sprint.

So with probably over 30 tests and the same speeds.... how is that throttling only the iphone?

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Bingo. This needs to be repeated over and over again.

And is that you GSMinCT from HoFo? :D

Maybe. :D

Ok, I'll correct you. Higher data speeds does NOT mean more data consumed. For example: if you check your email.. a fast connection may download 50 new emails in one second.. a slow connection may take six seconds. Lol, the data in the emails doesn't somehow get larger because you received it faster.

In today's terms, network speed doesn't mean more data use. Going from EDGE to 3G though, did mean more data use, as the first megabit or two of speed will use more data, and after that, it flattens out. Newer device also use a lot more data. An iPhone 5 on HSPA+ will use a lot more data than a 3G on HSDPA, just because it's so much more powerful and can run more apps more quickly, even though it's running on the same physical network (not quite fair since the 3G is limited to 3.6mbps vs. 21mbps, but still...).

I get 55 to 60 Mbs download and 10 Mbs upload on cable.

Comcast Blast? My SGS III and laptop both get 62/12, although the iPhone 4S seems to be limited to about 30mbps.

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
If every iPhone user is online sumultaneously you have a capacity problem. That's a seperate though tangentially related issue from having a data limit.

Yes.. IF EVERY iPhone user is online... Then throttling should be automatic as the network should distribute resources accordingly. But there's no good reason to throttle just for the sake of it.
It looks like the overload process should be improved, not prevented when there's no reason for it.

lilgto64

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2009
Ohio
wrong thread

Even out my ass.

I think you need to see a plastic surgeon or maybe an exercise guru or even just a nutritionist for that.

How about if the carriers only allow iPhones to use data on their networks - then all the traffic will be evened out, right?

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
If this is done through carrier updates, wouldn't the carriers be responsible? Another reason I am happy on T-Mobile.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I wanted to do a comparison from yesterday (no hack) to this morning (hacked) on the AT&T network for my iP5. In general, the building I'm in at work limits my connectivity to LTE to 2 to maybe 3 bars max which generally kills my battery life.

Yesterday when I first read about the hack and trottlegate (is it a gate yet?) I got the following results:

Test 1 / 2 / 3:
Ping: 90 / 103 / 164
Down: 7.14 / 6.65 / 5.81
Up: 0.98 / 1.04 / 0.74

All in all my experience with the phone isn't bad at work considering I could hardly use my iPhone 4 when I had 3g service only.

Here is after the hack was applied:

Test 1 / 2 / 3:
Ping: 99 / 106 / 97 (not too different, I guess)
Down: 10.80 / 10.60 / 10.90 (noticably better)
Up: 0.93 / 3.72 / 0.87 (somewhat better)

I have never seen over 10kbps with AT&T at work so I guess the hack is legit!

----------

Also as a follow up to show how much being inside a building affects my signal, outside in my car I got the following this morning:

Test 1 / 2:
Ping: 99 / 119
Down: 26.41 / 24.55
Up: 12.59 / 13.75

These speeds are much higher than I would typically get in this part of Las Vegas prior to applying the hack.

jweinraub

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Sol III
Why throttle if there's a quota limit anyway?

Seems dumb.

I have unlimited data still. I was in CT the other day and got about 57.34 Mb/sec which seemed pretty damn fast. My wifi I am usually in the 20s, so I really hope LTE gets into my neighourhood soon!

toaster64

macrumors regular
May 14, 2013
I'm pretty sure that the carriers also give you extra bandwidth when doing speedtest.net tests, which would be easy for them to do. I've seen iPhone 5s with reported 30mbps down / 30mbps up speeds, but data takes way longer than that to load. Those speeds also seem unrealistic, considering that cable ISPs give you 15mbps down and 1mbps up in most cases.

Funny, guess my AT&T didn't get the memo.

I got 24/23 just today out in the boonies.

----------

At first I wanted to try the hack so I figured I'd do a quick speed test first. Wow - 45 down + 9 up! Seems like AT&T actually put some money into back haul in my area. LTE cellular is almost twice as fast as the highest tier of U-verse fiber. No complaints from me.

Do websites actually load quickly?

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
I still havent tried the hack with verizon. From what i have been reading, it really doesnt show much if any improvement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.