Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Glenmorangie and Talisker are two that I always have on hand. Two very dependable choices,IMO..
I recently tried a Bowmore,but wasn't a fan of the peaty flavor. Little too much for me...

I don't like Bowmore at all. I've got Lahproaig and it's not that bad. I have to be in the right mood, but it's okay. if I want peaty it's usually Talisker, which I think has the best of both worlds.

POX

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
I don´t like so much old whisky, they are all very dry.

I always drink Jameson, cheap and very smooth.

The old ones I always prefer Johnnie Walker black label.

Sorry for my english :)

MultiM

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2006
TO. I've moved!
I used to like Crown royal, but then I had Gibson's. However, from what I'm reading here, I apparantly don't have a clue. I'll take notes and try some of these others. I have had Scotch, but I think it was cheap stuff 'cause it was horrid! maybe I'll put th4e gin and vodka away for a while and try more whiskies....

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Single Malt:
Laphroaig (Islay varieties are interesting)

Bourbon:
Bulleit

But I often drink less-expensive whiskey like Jack Daniels as well.

PSmith said:
With whiskey you usually get what you pay for.

I have had some good, inexpensive Scotch. I bought a bottle of Glen Garioch 8 Year for just over $20 a few years back and it was quite good in my (fairly untutored) opinion. Tasted light for a Sctotch but good nonetheless.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Jameson Irish Whiskey never lets me down.

whiskey-jameson.jpg

scotty96LSC

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Single Malt:
Laphroaig (Islay varieties are interesting)

Bourbon:
Bulleit

But I often drink less-expensive whiskey like Jack Daniels as well.

I have had some good, inexpensive Scotch. I bought a bottle of Glen Garioch 8 Year for just over $20 a few years back and it was quite good in my (fairly untutored) opinion. Tasted light for a Sctotch but good nonetheless.

Bulleit. Stumbled on to that the other day at the base package store while looking for a new Whiskey/Bourbon/Scotch to try. That is quickly becoming my favorite and not that expensive. Very smooth. Even my wife will sip it. Pour it over the rocks and you are good to go.
image_200682217274444736.jpg

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I've never had a blended Scotch, and for me personally I'm not sure I'd ever try one... it's like polluting perfection for the masses. I like Jameson (better than Bushmills) very much but that's Irish blended which isn't quite the same.

I realize this is an old post but I figured I'd drop in: an excellent blended whiskey made by a true master blender (see Johnnie Walker Blue, for example) can have much more depth of flavor than you can get in a single malt. You call it polluting perfection, I call it bringing all of the best together to make a superscotch! :p

whiskeylover

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2010
best whiskey

Ive been drinking whiskey properly since my early 30s, I have quite a varied taste but the bottle I always come back to is a yamazaki 18 year old, I never new the japanese were so good at brewing whiskey!:)

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Though my brother bought me a glass of the lovely, buttery Oban and did indeed appreciate the Macallan 18 he got for his 50th, he also told me that the Sheep Dip was actually passable. I gave him a bottle of the Pinch recently to satisfy his need for something that would fail to roll around the floorboards in the fast turns (the thin wire wrap helps slow its slide).

I must be missing something with the Bushmills. What I sampled recently seemed to have the same character as Cutty Sark: suitable for mixed drinks only.

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC

So overpriced, so is the blue. . . No offense, if you like it you like it, but I cant drink $10 Johnnie or $200 Johnnie without mixing it with coke. . .

I love me some:

Yamazaki
Laphroig
Chivas (blended but still like it)
Jameson (when on a budget)

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
So overpriced, so is the blue. . . No offense, if you like it you like it, but I cant drink $10 Johnnie or $200 Johnnie without mixing it with coke. . .

Please don't.

I know they are both highly over-rated for a blend, but just drink the coke if you must. ;)

To each their own because IMO Black Label on the rocks cannot be easily beat.

Well, it's been two years since my last post here (my, how time flies when your having fun), but I will repeat my recommendation of Bushmill's Black Bush, neat, or over ice.

But hold the water, please. :mad:

Ingster

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
What's Your Whisk(e)y?

Hello all, i was wondering as we have faveourit cologne/food/movie etc i'd like to discuss my favourite thing - Whisky.
At 30 i've only recently started to drink whisky but i'm loving it, and last year i visited Islay in Scotland, visiting all the 8 distilleries on the island and popped over to nearby Jura to the distillery there. Hopefully this summer i'll be going up to speyside for those distilleries.

Anyway here's a list of current Whisk(e)y's - (Whisky is mainly classed as Scottish and Whiskey is usually other country's offerings eg Irish)

Scottish
Ardbeg 10 year old 1L
Ardbeg Uigeadail 70cl
Bowmore Small Batch Reserve 70cl
Bruichladdich Rocks 70cl
Bunnahabhain 12 year old 70cl
Caol Ila Moch 70cl
Isle of Jura Superstition 70cl - 3 bottles
Isle of Jura Prophecy 70cl
Isle of Jura Elixir 70cl
Isle of Jura Boutique Barrel 1999 Bourbon Xu Finish heavily peated 70cl
Kilchoman Machir Bay 2012 70cl
Lagavulin Distiller's Edition 1995 70cl
Lagavulin 16 Year Old 20cl
Laphroaig Quarter Cask 70cl
Laphroaig Triple Wood 70cl
Macallan 10 year old fine oak 70cl
Oban 14 Year Old 20cl

Ohter bottlings

Bushmill's 1608 400 Year Anniversary edition 70cl - IRISH
Penderyn Madeira finish 70cl - WELSH
Tullamore Dew 70cl - IRISH
Jack Daniels Honey 70cl - USA
Jack Daniels Old No7 70cl - 3 bottles - USA

Have to say the peated varieties are my favourite, I am looking at getting a bottle of smokehead at some point, but my wife frowns saying i have too much already but hey I'll drink it at some point!

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
I no longer drink, except for one or two bourbon (jack Daniels or Wild Turkey) and Coke every 6-12 months or so, but i used to love this stuff. I could drink as much as i wanted without getting a hangover. I was a happy, albeit sarcastic drunk but stopped after a couple of years of excess due to the problems i caused to people close to me. It doesn't seem to be available in Australia now, but when it was, it was priced ($28) as a budget brand. The similarly priced Jim Beam used to make me really really ill. JB was bottled in Australia from imported concentrate.
Evidently Keith Richards used to drink Rebel Yell and Billy Idol wrote a song using the brand name.
250px-Rebel_Yell.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebel_Yell_(whiskey)

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Whisky

Ive got about 1/3 bottle of Lagavulin 16 at home that was gifted to me. Its got some interesting flavors, but not as much a fan of it as I am of the whisky from Speyside region. My usuals are Glenlivet and Glenfiddich,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.