Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rossmadden

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Swansea, UK
Hi everyone, let me precede the discussion with two things. Firstly, an apology if threads like this are somewhere in this forum. But hopefully we can get a lot of good ideas and conversations flowing around. I find this forum one of the friendliest and the advice is often very constructive.

Secondly, about myself, I've been using a Fujifilm HS20 EXR, but tomorrow my new Canon t5i/700D (please don't tell me it's a t4i/t3i etc, I got a good deal) and I'm looking to spend even more time and visiting different places to shoot different things. I would also like to do small bits of video, but thats unimportant in this discussion. I enjoy using my HS20, the zoom is truly great, but some areas of the camera are found wanting. I plan to spend one day a week around work to take photos. I don't really plan on what I'm going to take but I try to thing of cool places to go. I live in the South Wales valleys, but I love photos of buildings and candid photography, although I more than appreciate other forms of images. I having a bit of an issue with candid photography, as it appears people aren't too fond of being aimed at with a camera.

Anyhow, I wanted to hear from all of you. I want to hear how much time a week/month you spend taking photos.

Do you take photos for fun or professionally? If for you're doing it as a hobby - which I am currently doing - why did you choose photography? If you earn your bread by taking photos, what made you chose that path. I take photos as a hobby, though perhaps when my abilities and equipment list get better I might offer services to friends and family

What equipment are we all using, what as your decision behind choosing what you chose. (Please NO Nikon v Canon v Sony v whatever, arguments of x is greater than Y are among the worst aspects of forums and comment sections). Are you happy with your selection? Which certain bodies/lens etc do you use the most? My t5i is coming with the 18-135stm lens, nothing groundbreaking but I feel I'll start in a good place. I'll probably add a nifty fifty to my collection soon

What areas of photography are you most interested in?
I enjoy many types of photography and I'm having trouble nailing down which I'd like to concentrate most on. Perhaps a wide scope is the way for me. As I mentioned above, I enjoy looking at cityscapes and candid pictures. But I also love portraits, seascapes (I'm looking at you 'TheReef', I've really enjoyed your work on the P.O.T.D threads), macro, landscapes ('Phrasikleia') and everything else in-between. There are other users on here who's work I absolutely adore as well.

Do you decide where you're going to go before hand, or do you let the wind take you? Do you drive, take a train, catch a bus, cycle? How far would you travel (excluding holidays/vacations).I walk and drive to certain locations. Luckily I live in a mountainous area which is covered in forestry which I can walk around in, but I have to drive to other locations for a bit of variety.

Do you have an idea of what shot you want to take? Or do you take many photos and see what you have when you get back to your computer.
At the moment, I'm taking lots of images and seeing what I like. I will try to change this and think more about lighting and composition before I take the photo. I've seen good tip which is to pretend you only have the amount you'd have on one roll of film, so you wouldn't take a photo you wasn't happy with.

Do you fly solo, with a friend, partner, group, club, colleagues?
At the moment, solo. Though I have a friend with a photojournalism qualification who I will try and shoot with. I'm passing on my HS20 to my girlfriend who seems interested in joining me.

I hope this gets the ball rolling. I hope this helps me - and hopefully other people reading this thread - to enjoy photography and take jaw dropping photos. Sorry for the length!

Ross.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I thought this was the pub?

Maybe it is a bit much, but I thought it would have been interesting.

I'm kidding...sort of. ;) Don't worry, we're all gluttons for discussion here. I'll tackle a few of these later on when I have more time. Now heading out to go point that little black box at stuff...

rossmadden

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Swansea, UK
I'm kidding...sort of. ;) Don't worry, we're all gluttons for discussion here. I'll tackle a few of these later on when I have more time. Now heading out to go point that little black box at stuff...

Haha, I hoped you was kidding, that took me a while to type! Enjoy yourself, I look forward to seeing what you capture.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Do you take photos for fun or professionally? If for you're doing it as a hobby - which I am currently doing - why did you choose photography? If you earn your bread by taking photos, what made you chose that path.
Entirely for fun. I help run a photo club at work too.

What equipment are we all using, what as your decision behind choosing what you chose. (Please NO Nikon v Canon v Sony v whatever, arguments of x is greater than Y are among the worst aspects of forums and comment sections). Are you happy with your selection? Which certain bodies/lens etc do you use the most?
Hmm, I have a few different kits. I probably use the EOS 7D most, favourite lenses being the 35mm f/1.4 L and the 70-200mm f/4 L. I also love shooting with my Leica M3/Summicron 50mm. I am getting more into medium format with a Mamiya AFd. I also have an Epson RD-1 and a Rolleiflex which get occasional use!

Pretty much everything except portraits!

Do you decide where you're going to go before hand, or do you let the wind take you? Do you drive, take a train, catch a bus, cycle? How far would you travel (excluding holidays/vacations).
I tend to go out with a plan/location and some sort of idea of a route

Do you have an idea of what shot you want to take? Or do you take many photos and see what you have when you get back to your computer.
Normally the shots are dictated by the chosen location. And with reference to your response I sometimes am shooting on film!

Normally with friends or with the club I help run at work.

rossmadden

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Swansea, UK
Entirely for fun. I help run a photo club at work too.

Hmm, I have a few different kits. I probably use the EOS 7D most, favourite lenses being the 35mm f/1.4 L and the 70-200mm f/4 L. I also love shooting with my Leica M3/Summicron 50mm. I am getting more into medium format with a Mamiya AFd. I also have an Epson RD-1 and a Rolleiflex which get occasional use!

Pretty much everything except portraits!

I tend to go out with a plan/location and some sort of idea of a route

Normally the shots are dictated by the chosen location. And with reference to your response I sometimes am shooting on film!

Normally with friends or with the club I help run at work.

Do you have many members in your club? Would you usually travel together? Your location says you're from London, does that mean you live in the centre, does that limit you as the mountains around me does?

Is portraiture a field that you don't like or one you generally just don't shoot?

The 7D looks like a great camera, and I'm sure the 35mm is amazing, especially at f/1.4.

Thanks for getting involved! :)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Do you have many members in your club? Would you usually travel together? Your location says you're from London, does that mean you live in the centre, does that limit you as the mountains around me does?

Is portraiture a field that you don't like or one you generally just don't shoot?

The 7D looks like a great camera, and I'm sure the 35mm is amazing, especially at f/1.4.

Thanks for getting involved! :)

We have in excess of 100 members (it's a big company and this is a big office within it). But most don't turn up for most events. We usually try and shoot with the club locally to where we are in the east end of the city (Canary Wharf). We can find quite a few different terrains close by, although no mountains! I have to go on holiday for them.

I don't really do setup shots: it's all what I find at the time so spending time posing models and setting lighting is not for me. Candids are different!

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Anyhow, I wanted to hear from all of you. I want to hear how much time a week/month you spend taking photos.

As much as I possibly can. I typically go out three or four days per week, weather permitting.

What equipment are we all using, what as your decision behind choosing what you chose.

The right tools for the job, though half of the people on the internet will never agree. ;)

I enjoy many types of photography and I'm having trouble nailing down which I'd like to concentrate most on. Perhaps a wide scope is the way for me. As I mentioned above, I enjoy looking at cityscapes and candid pictures. But I also love portraits, seascapes (I'm looking at you 'TheReef', I've really enjoyed your work on the P.O.T.D threads), macro, landscapes ('Phrasikleia') and everything else in-between. There are other users on here who's work I absolutely adore as well.

I only just now noticed that you mentioned me here. Thanks for the props. :) So I guess you've answered this one for me: landscapes.

Do you decide where you're going to go before hand, or do you let the wind take you? Do you drive, take a train, catch a bus, cycle? How far would you travel (excluding holidays/vacations).

All of the above. I travel extensively for photography. Even if I'm just driving locally, I usually know where I'm going before I leave the house. Sometimes it's more spontaneous, especially if the weather is changing rapidly and 'Plan A' no longer seems like the best bet.

When I pursue a destination, I typically have in mind a best-case scenario for what I would like to do there--a basic theme, at least. I sometimes have a very specific, highly researched dream shot that I'm trying to get and will return to a location again and again chasing that white whale. But very often the conditions are not right for anything that I had in mind and I have to go with what looks workable. Sometimes I actually abandon a viable plan after coming across an opportunity that looks especially promising, but that's pretty rare (I find it very hard to ditch the bird in the hand for the one in the bush). Occasionally I leave a location without ever taking my camera out of the bag, but if I've never been there before, I'll at least take a reference shot for a return visit.

I'm happiest when I get to go out shooting with my husband. I sometimes shoot with photographer friends, but I usually find that the social dimension is too distracting. I've also done a lot of shooting alone, and it's fine so long as I'm in a safe area; otherwise, fear for my personal safety eats into my concentration and enjoyment.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Do you take photos for fun or professionally? If for you're doing it as a hobby - which I am currently doing - why did you choose photography?

Mainly for fun, but I do get a bit of paid work and some sales via my agency. Why did I choose it?, Not sure to be honest. I think having cameras around my house since I was small probably helped.

What equipment are we all using, what as your decision behind
choosing what you chose.

Canon Eos - probably the decision was made by brand familiarisation (I used to fix their laser printers so I guess it's I've heard of them)

Are you happy with your selection? Which certain bodies/lens etc do you use the most?

Main body is an Eos 6D, though for nature and fast aircraft I'd probably use my Eos 1D Mk II. As for lenses, my most recent purchase (24-70) will most likely replace my most used lens (24-105). That said most of my lenses get used a lot, with the exception of my 100mm macro and 15mm Fisheye.

I like aircraft, landscapes and the Sea - so I try to shoot them as often as I can. Though living in Birmingham means I'm limited to urban landscapes, canals and Birmingham Airport

Do you decide where you're going to go before hand, or do you let the wind take you?

I do plan some things, but not often enough

I like to cover as many options as possible, so I do shoot quite a bit. Saves me missing something. Though it's important to stop and look around for a while.

Do you fly solo,

Usually with the wife and kids so I tend to get dragged in other directions.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
Do you take photos for fun or professionally?
I used to sh0ot professionally but now its an expensive hobby

What equipment and what as your decision behind choosing what you chose?
Canon (gear link in sig), They have a vast Lens catologue.

Travel/Landscape and Urbex

Do you decide where you're going to go before hand, or do you let the wind take you?
I usually plan a trip, specifically to shoot a certain subject/location.

Do you have an idea of what shot you want to take? Or do you take many photos and see what you have when you get back to your computer?
In my mind I know what the shot should be, but depending on conditions when I get there is can be a lot different, like the weather in snowdonia for example. it changes pretty quick, then I use a custom setting and shoot 3 bracketed exposures, usuall 1 or 2 stops apart.

And for my own sanity and the fact a trip to a nice isolated location is perfect for thinking things over I like to fly Solo, Good Questions Ross, my answers in blue thanks, hope you enjoy your new 700D ;)

rossmadden

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Swansea, UK
Some great answers here so far, and as I was hoping, varied.

On account of shooting with others or by yourself, I find I can linger a lot longer over taking a photo if i'm by myself as I don't feel I'm slowing others down. Earphones in, music on and camera out.

As for my 700D, I've just unboxed it and am now playing around with the touch screen (which is a very cool feature). Going to take it out for a run on Sunday.

Thanks for answering everyone :).

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I shoot for fun. I've always been fascinated by photography and a few months ago started questioning my "career" choice and whether I wanted to keep doing what I do for the rest of my life (I'm a dancer). Very briefly, I pondered making a career switch to photography but quickly realized I'm a long way from being competitive and, considering the amazing talent that there's already out there, I don't stand a chance in hell. So I think I'll just keep doing it as a hobby.

What equipment are we all using, what as your decision behind choosing what you chose.
I bought my first DSLR in November. At the recommendation of a friend, I started out with a Nikon D3200. After reading endless forums and articles of "DX vs. FX", I foolishly convinced myself that I didn't have a "real" camera, immediately returned my D3200, and bought a D600. It didn't take me long to realize I that I was biting more than I could chew. I hadn't stopped to think about the long-term investment in lenses and FX lenses are well beyond what I want to spend on this hobby, whereas DX lenses are more affordable. I sold my D600 and now I have a D7100. I only have three lenses: Tokina 11-16mm 2.8, Nikon 17-55 2.8, and Sigma 30mm 1.4. I love ultra-wide shots, so the Tokina is on my camera 95% of the time.

I am obsessed with nighttime and architectural photography. If I ever had the opportunity to do photography for a living, I'd want to be the guy that shoots those lavish homes you see in magazines and real estate websites. HDR photography is another thing I'm interested in but I've yet to experiment with that. - Two things I refuse to photograph: humans and flowers (no disrespect to those who do - just not my thing).

I've only been shooting for about 8 months and the only thing I've put all of my focus towards, so far, has been the Walt Disney World Resort. I've challenged myself to photograph the entire resort. Luckily, I work there and only live six miles away. I always drive.

I look at many, many images online and in books of WDW photography and use them as guides as to what it is I want to capture. When I go out shooting, I'll take anywhere from 200-300 and only end up keeping about a third. With time, however, I've started to understand photography a little better and come back home with less of the "bad" pictures.

Solo! At home and at work, I'm always surrounded by people so this when I have a chance to be alone and unwind. I am taking photography classes and we sometimes go out to shoot together on field trips but that's the only exception.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.

My allowance of time to this obsession is variable, with it being dependent on family and self-employment needs. I last picked up my camera a week ago and will get it in my mitts again this morning, if I'm lucky! One of the members of a local bird watching group is heading off on an 8 week jaunt across the country in September and I'd love to be able to wangle the time to go snap birds with him!

Do you take photos for fun or professionally? If for you're doing it as a hobby - which I am currently doing - why did you choose photography? If you earn your bread by taking photos, what made you chose that path.

My hobbies have always been revolving around the technical. Designing and building bass-reflex speaker enclosures was an early one (late 80's) for example. More recently it revolved around racing radio control cars, electric (brushless) and nitro powered, from drift-cars to 4x4's with 4 wheel steering modifications. I got to a point around this time last year where I wanted to exercise my creative side away from work where I am a graphic designer. Enter photography! Something I enjoyed in high school and hadn't touched since.

What equipment are we all using, what as your decision behind choosing what you chose. Are you happy with your selection? Which certain bodies/lens etc do you use the most?

Being a frugal man supporting a family of five, including three (progressively more expensive) teenage boys, I started off with a Canon 1100D/T3 kit (for about $400) in case I didn't actually get hooked, I really didn't want to be wasting a huge amount of do$h that could otherwise be spent on the family and their needs. I got the Canon 55-250mm and the 50mm f/1.8 to go with it and got bitten by the bug pretty quickly! Around the beginning of this year I got the 60D (as the 1100D was missing too many features I really wanted) and my two favourite lenses thus far, the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 and the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro. I recently got a 400mm Vivitar lens for birding with, it's been restored/cleaned and converted with a chip and EF mount so it talks to my 60D properly. It's a bit slow to use and lacks image stabilisation, but, it produces good shots otherwise, especially at f/8 or over, in good light.

Landscapes, Seascapes, Birding, Architecture and Macro are my loves. I don't do people shots unless I'm really pestered to by the family and even then it's begrudgingly done by me! That includes the pictures of the folk musicians I posted yesterday on the POTD thread, I'd rather not be shoving a lens in others faces... :eek:

I made a choice to be as minimal with my involvement and usage of petroleum products some twenty years ago, so now live my life accordingly in regard of travel. My days of overseas travel are way behind me! I would train it into the big smoke for architectural shots if our local line wasn't out of operation for a conversion to electric till September, so it's one hour bus rides for now if I want to get into the city for something in particular. I always have a destination or subject in mind, unless I'm out with the family or local bird watching clubs and then you never know what you may spot. When out with the bird watching clubs, I'm more about seeing, experiencing and enjoying the birds and nature first, then grabbing a shot or two if I get the opportunity.

I'm usually going off with an idea in mind and have the luxury of being able to go do reconnaissance shots prior to the actual finished shots as I'm a patient guy and don't have to venture hundreds of kilometres for a good shot. If I'm off with the family somewhere and I think I might be able to find some interesting things I'll just go and wander around, seeing what I can find. I always take my travel tripod, monopod, all lenses and my macro ring flash with me if I decide to take my gear with us, as you never know what you may find.

Usually solo, but I'd love to have the opportunity to share the experience and learn from others. At a local photo club I was really surprised at the level of secrecy and competitiveness amongst the members! I've found the photographers at the bird watching clubs much more willing to share their knowledge with a newbie like me. Some of these guys do meet during the week for bird photography mini expeditions and I'll start going soon.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.

Fun, but I am in the process of commercialising some aspects of it.
I like it because it takes me to places, encourages exploration and is just nice being outside at 11pm on the rock shelf under the Milky Way sky.

• I like weather sealed cameras, as I shoot in saulty/wet conditions.
  • My favourite piece of kit is a Hoya 400x ND filter. Colours remain neutral (no magenta cast) and I'm loving the results.
    And I can put the lens cap straight on it :p
  • My least favourite kit are my square filters/holders surprisingly. They get scratched, are hard to clean, are prone to flare, slow to set up and pack up and most of mine have had magenta casts.

Seascapes. :p and thanks for the mention :)

I'm currently interested in incorporating figures into seascapes with studio lighting, but so far have been unsuccessful in pursuing that properly. It's good to talk to people about these things it can be encouraging and you can get inspiration.

Half of the time I'll plan locations that are further in distance away. Those shoots are much more structured.
Other times if the light is good, I'll hop in the car and randomly choose a beach, or walk to a local spot.

Usually I drive up to 20 minutes, even at the same locations there is plenty of new potential to be seen each time.
I get out around 2-3 times a week. Once parked the maximum I'll usually walk for is 1 hour each way, often it's up to only 10 minutes each way dependant on how accessible the beach is.

Yes, usually only take a handful of shots per location.
Often I'll only have 2 or 3 main compositions, but each with a couple of variations in timing.

Solo or with friends. I sometimes organise little adventures with friends which are the more structured shoots. They are great fun.
If I'm walking through the bush or near cliffs at night it's reassuring to have others around. It's good we talk about all things photography on the walk to the location, then once there we each generally do our own thing.

The nice thing about solo is I can spend hours and hours out there without bothering anyone :p

Last edited:

rossmadden

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Swansea, UK
iJohn - some brilliant and in-depth answers there. Thank you. Not long ago I was an increasingly expensive teenager so I empathise with you there. I actually enjoy ornatholgic photos and I've been impressed with your entries on P.O.T.D. I think you're about to be my first flickr followee(?) as it'd be interesting to see snaps from 'Down Under' - the other side of the world from me. The RC car racing sounds cool, are you into your V8s or f1? The Melbourne f1 Grand Prix is an event I'd love to go to one day, as I visit Australia, which looks a fascinating country.

theReef - Thanks for your answers, it'd be interesting to see what you can come up with when you can get your new idea working well. As a bit of a newcomer to this expensive hobby, I was wondering what do you do for your shots, do you take multiple shots and then combine them in post? a HDR effect? (Also, hello to New South Wales, from Old South Wales).

Caliber - great answers too, I bet it's quite eery, yet pleasant to walk around Disney after hours when the park is much quieter. I've never visited a Disney Park, Paris is the closest to me, but I think Florida is the one I'd like to visit, along with the other tourist parks around it. It'd be pretty cool if you could snap the whole resort. (Including Walt Disney's head in a cryotube - haha!)

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
iJohn - I actually enjoy ornatholgic photos and I've been impressed with your entries on P.O.T.D. I think you're about to be my first flickr followee(?) as it'd be interesting to see snaps from 'Down Under' - the other side of the world from me. The RC car racing sounds cool, are you into your V8s or f1? The Melbourne f1 Grand Prix is an event I'd love to go to one day, as I visit Australia, which looks a fascinating country.

My flickr is going to be shut within the next few days, I don't like the layout there, it's a nightmare for folks that aren't members to find your sets and collections, so it doesn't work at all for me, even if they have 1TB of space for free. I'll just continue with PhotoBucket for under $30 a year, where I can organise it as I want in collections that are easy to find and navigate through.

I'm inspired by Peter/Cheese&Apple and Robert/Rowbear's bird shots, I am just a newb with a slow lens in that regard! There are some others who share the odd good bird shot too and I apologise for not having the time to go grab their names right now for you, just watch the POTD thread, they will pop up. :(

Whilst I enjoy the RC cars and I am slowly moving them all over to being electrically powered, real car sports don't actually do anything for me! When I lived in the city centre and we had the Grand Prix here in Adelaide (a lifetime ago,) I would head out of the city whilst it was on! :rolleyes:

I see you enjoy cityscapes too, keep an eye out for JoeKing's pic's, he's another inspiration here for me.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
theReef - Thanks for your answers, it'd be interesting to see what you can come up with when you can get your new idea working well. As a bit of a newcomer to this expensive hobby, I was wondering what do you do for your shots, do you take multiple shots and then combine them in post? a HDR effect? (Also, hello to New South Wales, from Old South Wales).

All my shots are single exposures, I use dodge, burn, saturation and contrast brushes to selectively work on different parts of the images in Aperture where appropriate. I will usually burn (darken) the sky and selectively dodge (lighten) elements of the foreground such as rocks and water.

I also use neutral density filters to blur water and graduated neutral density filters to help darken the sky and bring the tones of the scene into balance.

The combination of these two processes may give my shots a semi HDR-like aesthetic as you mention where a wide variety of tone is present in the scene.

And hi to 'old' South Wales! :)

Oh, photography may be an expensive hobby but it doesn't need to be - you don't need to spend a lot to take great photos.
Especially with landscapes, all that you really need is a kit lens, tripod and interesting light.
Of course, everybody always finds themselves spending more and more :p

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
I want to hear how much time a week/month you spend taking photos.
Sometimes it is every day for several hours, sometimes I'll go a couple of weeks without picking up a camera. I do miss it though!

I started my career as a graphic designer but have steadily moved over to photography. It is an area that fascinates me and I'm willing to put up with the frustrations of making the thing you love into your job. I shoot commercially doing a wide range of work but concentrate on transport (mostly cars) and products. I also do quite a lot of landscape and travel photos just for the love of it. I exhibited at a fine art gallery this year for the first time and hope to do more in the future.

I've gone through a lot of equipment, selling on what I don't need. I try not to be sentimental about it and get rid of things I don't use. I use a Canon DSLR and a Hasselblad digital medium format. I love the Hassey, it feels like a 'proper camera' and the quality is lovely but it isn't very versatile. I have nothing against Nikon and have a soft spot for Sony cameras and lenses.

All kinds although I do seem to avoid people where possible. i don't know why.

Do you decide where you're going to go before hand, or do you let the wind take you? Do you drive, take a train, catch a bus, cycle?
Commercial work is planned carefully with locations scouted etc or it may be in the studio here or someone else's facility. My wife is Chinese so I visit China regularly and love to take pictures there.

I can spend several hours setting up just for one shot but I will usually then take alternative compositions and angles to give plenty of options. I generally take up to 100 shots in a day of shooting.

I often work alone but use an assistant or two on location if I can find them. When traveling my wife shows initial enthusiasm but soon gets bored!

rossmadden

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Swansea, UK
Steve, thanks for your answers.

As soon as I read you took photos of cars, I imagined a navy Volkswagen Golf, low and behold, the first image on your site! It's such a good car. Your work looks amazing, I especially love the detail on the interior of the MX-5, though all your photos are very very good! Are these picked up by the respective manufacturers for brochures etc? (The Jensen is the coolest looking car!)

With regards to the location scouting, is that something you do yourself, or have you got a team behind you that helps that?

I can imagine that China is a fantastic place to go, and especially varied. Was there a specific highlight from a photographers point of view?

I understand what you mean about your wife's interest waining slightly as time goes on, my girlfriend patiently waits while I take photos but I always feel guilty.

TheReef thanks for explaining your method (I see you have an app that explains it too incase anyone hasn't seen it). I think the the images look fantastic.

John I understand what you mean about flickr's navigation. It looks brilliant on the iPhone app (until my screen cracked in my pocket whilst driving yesterday) which it seems to have copied for the full website. It would look fantastic on an iPad but I'm not too sure if it's suited for a web browser. The 1TB for free is very good I feel, especially as a back up.

I think (from a very newcomer) that having peoples photos who you are inspired by is important and I look forward to seeing even more progress in you shots, though I enjoy them already anyway.

You share some Melbourne residents' sentiments about the racing coming to their home city, it is very loud.

On a side note, took my 700D out for it's first run today and I'm very pleased with it. Though there's a few things I'm trying to get my head around. All in good time.

Melizard

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
Canada/Germany
Strictly fun! It is a relatively new hobby for me, and I have no interest in trying to make money at it. I am learning, slowly, and it is fun to see my own progression when I look back to my first shots. It is something I will never stop learning, which makes it a perfect hobby for me.

I have a Nikon D5000, which is an entry-level SLR. I bought it because it went on sale when the D5100 came out. I have an 18-200 lens that is usually on my camera, along with a CPL filter, and a nifty fifty lens that I use mostly for low-light situations.

My photos tend to be all travel photos, mostly landscapes. I don't get out much to take photos when I'm not traveling, which is not great because it means that I'm not practicing my skills and learning new ones before I hit the road. I'm terrible at portraits.

I usually only shoot during travel, so very far! I travel a lot for work, so I go overseas once or twice a year, and I spend a lot of time working in northern Canada. I've taken everything.. drive, train, bus, bike, walking, helicopter...

I get inspiration from looking at other photos of areas that I'm going to visit, either on this forum or other places on the internet. So there are generally a few iconic shots that I want (I hope to get a good night shot of the Sydney harbor bridge and opera house next week), but the rest is just taking pictures randomly.

99% of the time I travel solo. When I get out with other people, generally they get bored when I'm spending all of my time taking photos, so it doesn't work so well...

rossmadden

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Swansea, UK
Strictly fun! It is a relatively new hobby for me, and I have no interest in trying to make money at it. I am learning, slowly, and it is fun to see my own progression when I look back to my first shots. It is something I will never stop learning, which makes it a perfect hobby for me.

I have a Nikon D5000, which is an entry-level SLR. I bought it because it went on sale when the D5100 came out. I have an 18-200 lens that is usually on my camera, along with a CPL filter, and a nifty fifty lens that I use mostly for low-light situations.

My photos tend to be all travel photos, mostly landscapes. I don't get out much to take photos when I'm not traveling, which is not great because it means that I'm not practicing my skills and learning new ones before I hit the road. I'm terrible at portraits.

I usually only shoot during travel, so very far! I travel a lot for work, so I go overseas once or twice a year, and I spend a lot of time working in northern Canada. I've taken everything.. drive, train, bus, bike, walking, helicopter...

I get inspiration from looking at other photos of areas that I'm going to visit, either on this forum or other places on the internet. So there are generally a few iconic shots that I want (I hope to get a good night shot of the Sydney harbor bridge and opera house next week), but the rest is just taking pictures randomly.

99% of the time I travel solo. When I get out with other people, generally they get bored when I'm spending all of my time taking photos, so it doesn't work so well...

Melizard Thank you for answering. I am envious that you get to travel. I've just looked at your Flickr. There are some ASTONISHING images and locations on there. I am truly jealous! You've covered many corners of our rock. You've shown that entry level cameras are just as effective in the right hands, I hope I can emulate you. Keep at it. I look forward to your Sydney photos (again, envious).

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
Steve, thanks for your answers.

As soon as I read you took photos of cars, I imagined a navy Volkswagen Golf, low and behold, the first image on your site! It's such a good car. Your work looks amazing, I especially love the detail on the interior of the MX-5, though all your photos are very very good! Are these picked up by the respective manufacturers for brochures etc? (The Jensen is the coolest looking car!)

With regards to the location scouting, is that something you do yourself, or have you got a team behind you that helps that?

I can imagine that China is a fantastic place to go, and especially varied. Was there a specific highlight from a photographers point of view?

I understand what you mean about your wife's interest waining slightly as time goes on, my girlfriend patiently waits while I take photos but I always feel guilty.

Thanks for your kind words. My work can be for manufacturers (PR or advertising) or for the press. Press photography is much lower budget and needs some improvisation with locations and lighting but I can show the work in my portfolio. Often for commercial work they prefer you don't publicise it, at least not on the web. Locations for commercial shoots are sometimes set by agency art directors. I keep a diary of locations, which I add to regularly whenever I spot somewhere. In addition to the more glamorous shots that make it into my portfolio, I also do lots of work for parts suppliers. I enjoy this work too but nobody says wow when you show them a picture of a bit of plastic!

The Jensen was shot for a friend. He had just sold the car after owning it for several years and it went to its new owner the next day. He wanted some shots to remember it by and we planned to do the shoot in the countryside. In the end it started raining just as I arrived so we shot it inside a large garage building. I hadn't really brought the right lighting so had to make the best of it, spot lighting the car and knocking the background out to black.

China is an amazing place for photography. I've been many times but only scratched the surface. The best photos I've taken there have been off the usual tourist trail. I'm lucky that we have family and friends there who take us to some fascinating places. I always say that if we ever moved to China I would try and set up some kind of photo tours business!

Melizard

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
Canada/Germany
Melizard Thank you for answering. I am envious that you get to travel. I've just looked at your Flickr. There are some ASTONISHING images and locations on there. I am truly jealous! You've covered many corners of our rock. You've shown that entry level cameras are just as effective in the right hands, I hope I can emulate you. Keep at it. I look forward to your Sydney photos (again, envious).

Thank you for the kind words! I guess I just want my photos to look as beautiful as nature looks in real life, and even with my best efforts it's never quite there. I'm lugging a tripod with me this week so we will see if there is any improvement.

Cheers!

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
- great answers too, I bet it's quite eery, yet pleasant to walk around Disney after hours when the park is much quieter. I've never visited a Disney Park, Paris is the closest to me, but I think Florida is the one I'd like to visit, along with the other tourist parks around it. It'd be pretty cool if you could snap the whole resort. (Including Walt Disney's head in a cryotube - haha!)

Believe it or not, it's anything but quiet or pleasant once park guests leave. The flood lights come on and all your hear is the cacaphony of fork lifts, delivery trucks, pressure hoses, rehearsal music, and cleaning & maintenance crews. A lot goes on during the midnight shift so that the parks once again look pristine by opening time. And, yes, the Florida resort is, in my opinion, the best one. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.