Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roymiller

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2013
My point of view 18 years old Dewars whisky is really good in taste and you can say that its one of the best brand of whisky.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Rather than start a new thread, I prefer to try to revive a venerable - and somewhat older - one (which has been contributed to, on and off, for the past six years, most recently, last year, in 2013).

In any case, I'm not really a whiskey (or whisky) drinker, preferring the entire wine family (wine, cognac, sherry, port) or beer instead. However, this evening past, I had the opportunity to sample a glass (or two) of Johnnie Walker Blue Label (their flagship product), which I had spotted, and mulled over, not so long ago, in an airport.

This was a beverage I had never sipped or sampled before; the tasting notes - for once - are not a million miles away from reality. Velvet smoothness, scent of honey, molasses almost and vanilla, smooth, sweet, soft on the palate, and an astonishing smokey aftertaste. Actually, this stuff was simply delicious. Sublime, in fact.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Not sure of the scope of “whiskey” ...

I’m a fan of single malts, but certainly don’t limit myself ... also enjoy Irish single or blended, American bourbons, heck, I’ll give anything a shot.

Lately we’ve been enjoying Birddog bourbon, the flavored varieties like Blackberry, mixed with Tres Leches cream liquor. Most delicious. :) Also have some Maker’s 46, Redbreast 12 year.

Off topic: also currently “in stock” here at the World HQ ... 1800 Coconut tequila, 360 Vodka, Absolut Apple & Giner, Absolut Currant, Appleton Estates rum, Camarena Reposado, Crown, Gosling black seal ... :cool:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This is an interesting topic. Primarily I am a beer drinker, fancy beers, God forbid, Bud! ;) Recently I bought a bottle of relatively good aged Tequila because I had heard there was a huge difference between the good stuff and the rot gut, "gold" varieties. ;) Well I've killed off most of the bottle drinking shots (over a period of time) and honestly I'm not that impressed with it straight, but I love it in Margaritas.

Ok, with this lead in, I'm now considering Whiskey or Scotch. A History Channel show on Scotch made me want to go buy a bottle! I just don't have a clue where to start. I'd like to try something slightly sweet and full bodied and I'd like to give a domestic brand a chance for whiskey. Is it a taste that is acquired? Anyway, any suggestions? Is Jim Bean any good? Thanks! :):)

----------

Not sure of the scope of “whiskey” ...

I’m a fan of single malts, but certainly don’t limit myself ... also enjoy Irish single or blended, American bourbons, heck, I’ll give anything a shot.

Lately we’ve been enjoying Birddog bourbon, the flavored varieties like Blackberry, mixed with Tres Leches cream liquor. Most delicious. :) Also have some Maker’s 46, Redbreast 12 year.

Off topic: also currently “in stock” here at the World HQ ... 1800 Coconut tequila, 360 Vodka, Absolut Apple & Giner, Absolut Currant, Appleton Estates rum, Camarena Reposado, Crown, Gosling black seal ... :cool:

Tres Leches Cream sounds really good! I love liqueurs and things like Baileys Irish Cream

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Ok, with this lead in, I'm now considering Whiskey or Scotch. A History Channel show on Scotch made me want to go buy a bottle! I just don't have a clue where to start. I'd like to try something slightly sweet and full bodied and I'd like to give a domestic brand a chance for whiskey. Is it a taste that is acquired? Anyway, any suggestions? Is Jim Bean any good? Thanks! :):)

Whisky = single malt from Scotland, scotch
Whiskey = all others

Im a huge fan of those sourced from the speyside region, Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, and Macallan. Bonus they are some of the lower cost ones.

Ive never had a scotch I would call 'sweet'. Bourbons are often sweet. Scotches are very earthy and more dry.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I found this Whiskey of Beginners article to be of interest. Did not realize the importance of drinking it with distiller/pure water (no chlorine). How many of you drink Bourbon and water? I'm going to go pursue the liquor store for a good moderately priced bourbon.

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
Gentleman-Jack.jpg

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
How many of you drink Bourbon and water?

I rarely drink these days, but when I do, it's usually always whisky and water. The water comes from a mountainside spring about 1 mile from me, that's been a popular local source of "special" water for about 200 years. Its waters are crystal clear and basically tasteless. I usually keep a few gallons on hand... If I'd happen to be out of it, I'd probably be inclined to drink the whiskey straight. ;)

c073186

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2007
In general, Maker's Mark.

If it's rye, Knob Creek Rye.

I also really enjoy Woodford Reserve, but the price tag keeps it from being an any day bottle.

Currently, I'm enjoying whiskey (whichever one) with Fever Tree Club Soda.

All that said, in the warmer summer months, I find myself going to vodka or gin more often.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Makers Mark and Bullet are my favorite. When I go up to NYC for work there is a bourbon bar I like to go to. They have all types some are samples for $100 bucks. Tho no way to justify paying that much for a drink. There is a drink that is suppose to be super rare that is 100 bucks per small shot basically and you have to sign up to be notified when they have it.

Unless it makes me, taller, faster, or smarter I don't get what all the hoopla is about tho I am curious to try it. Defiantly not on my company card. That would be questioned rather quickly.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
For relaxing times, make it Suntory time. Yes, I did buy this after Lost in Translation.

17 year old blended whisky.

I'm not really a whisky drinker, or a drinker at all but this has been a nice indulgence over the years. Seems to have gotten a bit pricier recently though which is a shame because this one is nearly finished. Speaking of which, I could've sworn there was more in here last time I had it out :mad:

The bottle is sublime, definitely not going to throw that away.

Attachments

• 2014-05-31 18.42.45.jpg
    2014-05-31 18.42.45.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 139

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I swore I posted in this (or maybe a similar thread?), but here it goes.

For a regular drink, it's Tullamore Dew, Johnny Walker Black (or Double Black), or perhaps Maker's.

While I appreciate the finer varieties (Woodford Reserve, higher Johnny, etc.), I don't feel like breaking the bank on a bottle. I just snag those at weddings, work events, and fundraisers with nicer bars.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Today I purchased a half pint of Jim Beam Black. It was not cheap at $14. Drank a shot mixed with 33% pure water. It was ok, better than straight tequila. I'm going to see if this grows on me. :)

jim-beam-8yrs-l.gif

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Lismore single malt.......a house brand from Trader Joe's is worth a try; locally the cost is $16 to $17 a bottle

Today I purchased a half pint of Jim Beam Black. It was not cheap at $14...

the bad news is that at $14 a bottle, that's relatively inexpensive drinking stuff

Barney63

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Bolton, UK.
I like the odd tipple of Jack Daniels at home. When I'm out I like to try to get Glenfiddich or Glenmorangie ( good old scotch )

Barney

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I'm drinking Macallan 17 Fine Oak. I used to drink Macallan 18, but it seems that it is no longer sold in the US.

The Macallan 17 fine Oak is a delightful single malt scotch.

(I also enjoy absinthe...but that ain't whiskey!)

Macallan%2017.png

Reactions: BenAigen

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Lismore single malt.......a house brand from Trader Joe's is worth a try; locally the cost is $16 to $17 a bottle

the bad news is that at $14 a bottle, that's relatively inexpensive drinking stuff

Regarding Jim Beam Black, I was referring to a half pint. A 5th was listed for $20 which I regard as a good price. Regarding bourbons, how much of a taste variance is there between bourbons?

For tequila, when young I used to drink Jose Quervo Gold, recently I tried a mid-grade tequila and the primary difference was it was smoother, but I did not really notice much of a taste difference. I primarily prefer tequila in Margaritas.

Honestly, I'm not sure if bourbon is going to grow on me. I might be a better candidate for liqueurs like Baileys. :p

Last edited:

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
...Regarding bourbons, how much of a taste variance is there between bourbons?

with experience you'd notice, but not so much if you're worrying about gagging and spitting it out! :p

...Honestly, I'm not sure if bourbon is going to grow on me. I might be a better candidate for liqueurs like Baileys. :p

I'm more of a gin drinker myself, but it's nice to have a tasty bottle of scotch around too

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
Macallan 12
Glenmorangie
Aberlour

There are others. But, these are my favorites.

----------

I'm drinking Macallan 17 Fine Oak. I used to drink Macallan 18, but it seems that it is no longer sold in the US.

The Macallan 17 fine Oak is a delightful single malt scotch.

(I also enjoy absinthe...but that ain't whiskey!)

Macallan 18 is available in Chicago, it is one of my favorites as well.

http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Macallan_18_Year_Old_Traditional_163461.html

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
Thanks for the link.:D

Unfortunately alcoholic beverages can't be shipped into Mass. from another State.

Howevewr, it means that I was to ally wrong (no news there:p) about it not being sold in the US.

Have your liquor store order it. :D

I used to run into that problem in Atlanta due to the strange distributor laws in the state. Mostly with wine though.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
...For tequila, when young I used to drink Jose Quervo Gold, recently I tried a mid-grade tequila and the primary difference was it was smoother, but I did not really notice much of a taste difference. I primarily prefer tequila in Margaritas.

Honestly, I'm not sure if bourbon is going to grow on me. I might be a better candidate for liqueurs like Baileys. :p

Well, you could always try corn whiskey. Some people claim the unaged corn whiskies tastes similar to tequila. (Personally, I like the aged variety.)

Either can be used to make an interesting Margarita, however. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.