Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
You craigsist people crack me up. OF COURSE you can get more on craigslist, go do it. It's like the people coming to a pawn shop and telling the owner 'I can get XXX amount more selling it on ebay!". No crap, go do it. You brought the phone to me, I didn't call you. This is my offer, if you don't like it or are offended, leave. Some people don't have the time or inclination to sell to people in parking lots, they will take a hit and save themselves the hassle. Now quit paying full retail for underwear and go to Salvation Army....

cuda12

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2011
Miami, FL
AT&T Offer

My contract just expired and AT&T offered to give me the iPhone 5 for free if I traded in my 4S, valuing it at $199. This seems to be a better option for those who are already eligible for an upgrade and not averse to signing another contract with AT&T.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Apple is pulling every trick out of the bag to keep sales up until new products are released later this year. AAPL is down 1.6% so far today.

Nonsense. AAPL is down today b/c 1) the entire market is down, 2) The uncertainty of the ITC ruling on Apple's bottom line and 3) no one expects any new exciting products to emerge from WWDC. AAPL has basically been stagnant since the big drop in Jan but it's chart is improving, not deteriorating further.

An iPhone trade-in program is hardly novel. Apple is just copying what it's carriers and some resellers already do. It may affect direct sales, but it has zero effect on total sales.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
I think it's more valuable to see privately or just use it as an ipod touch. I just think it may be worth more in its use versus companies turning around ane making $100-200 on your property.

Exactly!

I often use my original iPhone and 3GS as iPod touch's and at least they still work with my 'older' 30 pin AV equipment and accessories. Trade in price would not be worth it, if you wanted an extra iPod or back-up phone.

jagsrock

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Different Amounts

I just did my 16gb iphone5 and was quoted 296.00 for Verizon - 336.00 for AT&T.

isomorphic

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
I have had some sort of issue with scammers on the last three eBay auctions I've done. Craigslist is probably better if you deal in person in a public place, but I'd never be 100% sure I properly wiped my phone, so the Craiglister would end up watching my Photo Stream. (This actually happened when I sold an AppleTV to a buddy of mine. I logged out of all accounts on the AppleTV, reset all the data, did a factory reset, and it still had my AppleID signed in.)

If Apple can properly wipe the phones (and they'd know how), then I'd be happy to take the overhead hit. Craigslist and eBay are a giant PITA.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Yes, you can.

But from a typical consumer's standpoint, this is what they see:

Paid $199 for an iPhone 5 in 2012.
not eligible for an iPhone 5S upgrade, but I want one....
The upgrade fee is $399 from AT&T/Verizon...
Apple will give me $199 to trade in my iPhone 5 I won't use...
(I've never heard of that Craigslist thing... seems too complicated...I might get ripped off...and it will take time and effort...I can do this Apple thing right here, right now, and get a new phone NOW)
Hmmm.... now only $200 for an iPhone 5S after trading my iPhone 5 in...
same price as getting the iPhone 5!
Looks like a good deal, I'll do it!

And you just extended your contract by one year!

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
You craigsist people crack me up. OF COURSE you can get more on craigslist, go do it. It's like the people coming to a pawn shop and telling the owner 'I can get XXX amount more selling it on ebay!". No crap, go do it. You brought the phone to me, I didn't call you. This is my offer, if you don't like it or are offended, leave. Some people don't have the time or inclination to sell to people in parking lots, they will take a hit and save themselves the hassle. Now quit paying full retail for underwear and go to Salvation Army....

Amen.

This is so true. High School and college students have the time to post messages on craigslist, ebay, and sit in a parking lot to make a deal, and take the risk of being robbed, just don't understand that to other people, the cost-and-benefit, and the time to do this is not worth it.

The CONVENIENCE of Apple doing this IS worth it to many people.

The same as the CONVENIENCE of Apple's iOS actually working is worth it to many people vs. screwing around learning all sorts of geek stuff to get Android to work.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
apple takes trade in iphone unit, refurbished it. sell it in other countries that prefer low cost price = win for apple

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Exactly. Apple or any business doesn't understand this and tries to seek the biggest margins. The only people would trade-in are completely oblivious people.

Or some guy who makes $80 per hour working his "day job" and does not want to hassle with Crags list for the extra $25 he'd get. It all depends on what your time is worth.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
A nice solution for getting some lower cost iPhones into emerging markets... sell the same phone twice. Nice. :)

Smart move... trade-in price aside. This may help Apple address a huge hole in their market that other phones are quickly addressing.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

THANK YOU

Remember how iTunes got popular? It was because it was easier than piracy despite costing $1 per song more! Convenience is worth money to people. Not all people, obviously, but to some. It's good to have options.

Even knowing I could get more on Craigslist I'd still consider this trade-in. I'm sick of having to respond to a dozen scammers for every legitimate offer I get. (And then it takes 3 or 4 legitimate offers before I find one who didn't buy something else first. It's a lot of work.)

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I would do this. Craigslist probably gets me more but I have to spend TIME (which isn't free) to communicate and meet up. Plus, there's the safety concern which varies and such depending on your location. I only use Craigslist to sell my MBA or iPhone because Apple doesn't already have a trade-in program.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
How would this affect your upgrade pricing? The upgrade price is between you and the your carrier.

Yes but Apple sells phones too right? They could be in the middle. Let's say carrier wants $199 for iPhone 5S (assuming your 2 year contract is up) and Apple offers you $199 for your existing iPhone 5. For most people, it's a "free" upgrade. What were they going to do with their existing phone? Carriers don't have to get involved. Apple will pay the carrier the $199. And customer gives Apple their existing iPhone 5, takes home iPhone 5S. In terms of cash, Apple is down $199 but they also have the traded-in iPhone 5 which they can then sell, use for parts, refurbish, etc. and sell for $300 or something in a poorer part of the world. And voila, they've made back their $199.

kkalkut

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
iPhone Flip

I, for one, have had great success with the eBay flip every two years.

My wife and I both got the 3G, waited for the 4, sold our phones on eBay and covered the cost of the upgrade (with new 2yr contract of course). We did the same thing with the 5 last year and actually made a $75 profit on the upgrade. I can only imagine this trend will continue.

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
Well, I'll be looking to sell or trade in my iPhone 5 through Apple to upgrade to the iPhone 5S. (Only if they don't completely rip me off)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.