Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
So I got the iPhone 5 on launch day and it was fine but has quickly become problematic for me.

1. Shortly after getting it I tried to get a replacement one because my wifi would always go on and off, but they told me there was nothing wrong with it. I knew there had to be because my iPad and MacBook that I use in the same places never have the problems. They told me it was fine and I left the store. It still happens.

2. Back then my battery was fine, getting at least 6-6.5 hours of usage. A few months ago out of no where it started getting around 4-4.5 and I haven't changed what I was doing using the phone.

3. The phone freezes out of no where, at least twice a week I have to turn it off or restart it. Not a huge problem, but still shouldn't be happening.

4. The back camera has noticeable dust in it.

I may sound like I'm bitching, which I kinda am, but I paid $400 for this and don't think I should have all of these problems on this phone I take very good care of. So I want to go to the Apple store, but it's 40 min away and I don't want to get turned down again.

Is there any way these problems can guarantee me a replacement phone? If I mention all 4 problems will the genius just think I'm making stuff up for a freebie?

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
They are much, much tougher nowadays with regards swaps and changes. It needs to be a tangible defect and I would warrant the freezing and dust under the camera the ones you want to pick up on. They can test and see if it is overheating via their diagnostics and dust under lens is something they won't be able to deny.

Of course sometimes accidents can happen and that is what insurance is for.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I think #4 is your best bet, but even then, with their new "fix the defective parts on iPhones instead of replacing the entire phone" program that they're rolling out, who knows what they'd do.

IMO, there is no guarantee. It comes down to how the person working with you that day wants to tackle your list of issues.

rmeadejr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
San Francisco-Twin Peaks
So I got the iPhone 5 on launch day and it was fine but has quickly become problematic for me.

1. Shortly after getting it I tried to get a replacement one because my wifi would always go on and off, but they told me there was nothing wrong with it. I knew there had to be because my iPad and MacBook that I use in the same places never have the problems. They told me it was fine and I left the store. It still happens.

2. Back then my battery was fine, getting at least 6-6.5 hours of usage. A few months ago out of no where it started getting around 4-4.5 and I haven't changed what I was doing using the phone.

3. The phone freezes out of no where, at least twice a week I have to turn it off or restart it. Not a huge problem, but still shouldn't be happening.

4. The back camera has noticeable dust in it.

I may sound like I'm bitching, which I kinda am, but I paid $400 for this and don't think I should have all of these problems on this phone I take very good care of. So I want to go to the Apple store, but it's 40 min away and I don't want to get turned down again.

Is there any way these problems can guarantee me a replacement phone? If I mention all 4 problems will the genius just think I'm making stuff up for a freebie?

i just bought my iPhone 5 on saturday and my phone acts like your number 1. everytime i unlock the phone my wifi would always go on and off for at least a minute.

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
The guy acknowledged that there were a few software related problems so they were going to do their own restore for it or whatever and I mentioned the dust so he asked to take the camera out and try to remove the dust - I said go for it. 5 minutes later he said he realizes that I use the phone often for work to take pictures and replaced it instead.

However, now my Gmail/Exchange account isn't working. I deleted it and redid it numerous times and still says connection to server failed?

----------

Woah I just read that Gmail Exchange is no longer supported on new devices. Well that sucks...

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
I believe #2 and #3 are software issues.

You say you've done nothing, but the battery drains faster now. Should I assume by you saying you've done nothing that you have never ever installed any new apps, removed any apps, or upgraded any apps or iOS at all?

I ask because most battery drain problems are directly due to software, such as apps not closing properly. Hard to blame the hardware on that.

Freezing up could be the same problem or at least related.

Dust is a problem that I'd have a fit with, so I'd go with that. But you'll need proof, if the unit is under warranty. If not, you're probably out of luck.

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
I believe #2 and #3 are software issues.

You say you've done nothing, but the battery drains faster now. Should I assume by you saying you've done nothing that you have never ever installed any new apps, removed any apps, or upgraded any apps or iOS at all?

I ask because most battery drain problems are directly due to software, such as apps not closing properly. Hard to blame the hardware on that.

Freezing up could be the same problem or at least related.

Dust is a problem that I'd have a fit with, so I'd go with that. But you'll need proof, if the unit is under warranty. If not, you're probably out of luck.

Read my post right above yours - they replaced it, mainly because of the dust. And I wasn't saying I hadn't done anything on the phone, I was saying my routine using it hardly changed. I rarely add new/remove apps to it, and would upgrade software when it came out. As for proof having dust, what proof do you need other than looking at the camera and seeing that there is dust covering it?

After fully charging the replacement last night and using it throughout the day, I'm at 50% battery left with 4 hours 22 min of usage. My old would probably be at <10% with that much usage.

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
Screenshot missed standby but I think it was at about 16 hours:

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    116.2 KB · Views: 153

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
For future reference, a factory wipe is always useful :).

I forgot to mention I had already done that when I first noticed the battery got much worse. I think it was around February when erased and restored it.

teribithia

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2012
London
#1 is all the iphone 5's problem, you must update the ios to the newest.
#2 the battery usage will reduce as the using, but your battery capacity seems reduce too quickly.
#3 reinstall some apps , especially the big app. My iphone also freeze as the ibook ( I download too many books)
#4 just clean it

If you iphone 5 just under warranty, take it to apple store and replace one.

Hopes that help you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.