Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parkschr

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
Dayton, OH
I was wondering where the cheapest place is to get Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac.

I am a teacher, if that helps me get it even cheaper.

Thanks everyone! :)

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
Best education discounts...

I was wondering where the cheapest place is to get Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac.

I am a teacher, if that helps me get it even cheaper.

Thanks everyone! :)

It depends on your school. The best deals involve sales inside college campus computer stores, where you can get Office for around $30, but you have to teach or attend that college. However, almost every school has some kind of discount deal that is typically much lower than the generic education pricing of around $120, for example, my wife teaches at a community college and they have a deal for around $50. So it totally depends on your school.

If all else fails, and your school has no license deal with Microsoft, you are pretty much stuck with the standard academic price of around $120, unless you find someone selling a used copy for much less, but then you risk issues in transferring over the license.

But just to emphasize, beating the retail education discount is an institutional membership kind of thing - you can't just walk into a school you don't belong to and get it.

parkschr

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
Dayton, OH
It depends on your school. The best deals involve sales inside college campus computer stores, where you can get Office for around $30, but you have to teach or attend that college. However, almost every school has some kind of discount deal that is typically much lower than the generic education cost of around $120, for example, my wife teaches at a community college and they have a deal for around $50. So it totally depends on your school.

But just to emphasize, beating the retail education discount is an institutional membership kind of thing - you can't just walk into a school you don't belong to and get it.

I just checked with our tech coordinator and he can get it for what everyone else can $139.

onekerato

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2011
If your friendly IT nerd has a Microsoft Technet subscription, he can give you a legit Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac license. Of course, it's meant for evaluation of the software on computers "managed" by the subscriber and not for "production". It still requires internet activation and all that.

That said, beware of purchasing Microsoft products on ebay - these are usually serial numbers sourced from the Technet program.

Jose
http://www.onekerato.com/ebooks.html

parkschr

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
Dayton, OH
Ok. Amazon has the "old version" for $93 or the new one for $120. Wouldn't the old version update to the latest version?

dan1eln1el5en

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
hmm, my work we can buy it for around 20$ since we have a volume license that includes a sweet deal.

or you could start an awesome business, join BizSpark and get it for free.

you should, as a teacher, be able to get it cheap, since MS is really good for entrepreneurs and educators, while ripping of students (and laymen)

but ok, that business have worked (well) for many years.

parkschr

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
Dayton, OH
Ok. Here's another one. If I get the $93 from amazon (which is the old version), does that mean I can only put it on one computer? I have 2 macs in the house.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
Note that you need "Office Mac 2011 Home and Business" if you also want to have Outlook.

"Office Mac 2011 Home and Student" comes only with Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Ok. Here's another one. If I get the $93 from amazon (which is the old version), does that mean I can only put it on one computer? I have 2 macs in the house.

Yes. That is correct. One license per machine. If you buy the 3-pack, you get 3 licenses.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
The Microsoft Home Use Program (HUP) is a great deal if you qualify for it. Was able to get both the Windows and Mac versions for a total of $20.

jjmcpherson

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2013
My school sells it for $20. All you need is the code as you can download the installation from microsoft. And I was able to install in both Airs, the one I returned and the new Air.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
365Office is free for educators.

But WHY OH WHY put that on your computer? Just buy Pages and be done with all microsoft.

jjmcpherson

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2013
I can't work as fast on iPad as I do on Mac and I have to pay $99/year for the "non-productivity?" Thanks, but no thanks.

----------

My school sells it for $20. All you need is the code as you can download the installation from microsoft. And I was able to install in both Airs, the one I returned and the new Air.

My school gives it away for free. All I had to do is download from the server and activate it through school network, either WIFI or VPN.

mikespe

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2015
I got mine here at OnTheHub for $9.95....I got the Mac version and the Windows version...you need a valid school email address and I believe your district needs to be registered with them (a LOT of districts are)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.