Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ibooks_icon.jpg
Just days after the U.S. Department of Justice presented its opening arguments against Apple in the antitrust e-book price fixing suit filed filed against Apple last April, the DoJ called Google's director of strategic partnerships Thomas Turvey to add credibility to its allegation, reports The Verge.

According to The Verge's Greg Sandoval, Apple's lead attorney Orin Snyder began "attacking" Turvey's story, eventually getting him to admit, under oath, that his lawyer helped him draft the statement he filed with the court. He also admitted that he couldn't remember whether he or his lawyer had written the important passages in his statement.

Sandoval says that Snyder was able to further weaken Turvey's testimony shortly after that, questioning the details of his statement:
Under Snyder's questioning, Turvey acknowledged that he couldn't remember a single name of any of the publishing executives who had told him Apple was the reason the publishers were switching their business model. He conceded that the publisher's move to the agency system was important to Google's own business, yet Turvey couldn't remember any details about the conversations with publishers. By the end of the interview Turvey had gone from saying the publishers had told him directly, to saying they had merely told people on his team, to finally saying the publishers had "likely" told someone on his team.
Sandoval notes that before today's witness testimony, much of the trial had been going the government's way and that the DoJ appeared to want Apple rival Google, which is not as significant a player in the e-book market as Amazon or Apple, to "pile on" Apple.

Turvey will return to the witness stand on Monday, with the trial set to last two more weeks. Apple's Eddy Cue is expected to testify on June 13.  Apple has consistently defended itself and has said the allegations are "simply not true."

Article Link: Google Executive's Testimony Weakens Justice Department's Case Against Apple in E-Book Price Fixing Trial

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
As for eBooks, I would rather have a paper copy most of the time. Besides, these days, a physical copy is cheaper.

Except I don't really read much anyways.. But when I do, I like paper and ink.

rmbpuser

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2012
As for eBooks, I would rather have a paper copy most of the time. Besides, these days, a physical copy is cheaper.

who doesnt like physical copies :)
ive personally never read anything on a screen but i think an ebook on an ipad mini wouldn't be that bad!

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Worst witness ever? Should have kept him on the stand another 10 minutes, he would have said it was all Google's idea in the first place.

Newton70

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
Big government doing what it does best, creating circumstances to justify its existence.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT

Yes, since you don't do much reading, a hard copy is probably better for you. For someone who reads a lot, it can be quite a hassle dragging books around with you. Not to mention that you can't easily search a hard copy.

I collect leather-bound books (Easton Press) and I love a beautiful book. But, ebooks have many advantages these days, not the least of which is that I don't have to go to a store to get it.

I also teach at a University and try to make an ebook version of my texts available. Kind of sad seeing some student walking with a huge backpack that looks like they could tip over at any moment.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
who doesnt like physical copies :)
ive personally never read anything on a screen but i think an ebook on an ipad mini wouldn't be that bad!

Actually, the iPad Mini is not a good experience for reading. I hated reading on a screen until the Retina screen came out on the iPad. It is actually quite comfortable to read on the full iPad. I know some people think that Retina is overkill, but I went to purchase an iPad Mini and when I looked at an ebook on it after having used my iPad, I aborted the purchase.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Yes, since you don't do much reading, a hard copy is probably better for you. For someone who reads a lot, it can be quite a hassle dragging books around with you. Not to mention that you can't easily search a hard copy.

I collect leather-bound books (Easton Press) and I love a beautiful book. But, ebooks have many advantages these days, not the least of which is that I don't have to go to a store to get it.

I also teach at a University and try to make an ebook version of my texts available. Kind of sad seeing some student walking with a huge backpack that looks like they could tip over at any moment.

I love Easton Press. But I also love my Kindle.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan

You sure about that? All of my company's ebooks are priced between 40 percent to 60 percent below the price we charge for their traditional paper counterparts. And many other publishers follow that same model.

Renzatic

Suspended
"Mr. Turvey, is it true you suffer from severe retrograde amnesia"?

"I think so. At least that's what they tell me. The doctors, I mean".

"Okay. Thank you for being honest. So now that that's out of the way, can you, in your own words, explain to me exactly who was present and what was said in Jeff Bezos' boathouse on the 8th of September, 2010"?

"OH MY GOD! I'M IN COURT! WHAT AM I DOING IN COURT? IS THIS THE DEAD PROSTITUTE THING AGAIN? THEY SAID I WAS ACQUITTED! THE DOCTORS, I MEAN! I HAVE SEVERE RETROGRADE AMNESIA"!

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013

I agree with you. What happens if these companies ever go bankrupt or nonexistent? What happens to all "our" books we bought?

Renzatic

Suspended
I agree with you. What happens if these companies ever go bankrupt or nonexistent? What happens to all "our" books we bought?

Your books won't mysteriously disappear off your iPad or Kindle the moment a publisher goes defunct. Whatever you have on your ebook reader now is what you'll have tomorrow. Assuming Apple or Amazon don't decide to whisk it away from your account for reasons unknown, of course.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
eventually getting him to admit, under oath, that his lawyer helped him draft the statement he filed with the court. He also admitted that he couldn't remember whether he or his lawyer had written the important passages in his statement.

Yeah, I am sure nobody takes the advice of their lawyer when embroilled in legal matters of this magnitude. Hardly a Eureka moment... :rolleyes:

Also, I cannot remember the exact details of matters I discussed last week at work, let alone something that happened years ago.

Turvey acknowledged that he couldn't remember a single name of any of the publishing executives who had told him Apple was the reason the publishers were switching their business model.

Yeah, so they are not guilty of price fixing then, [even though Steve Jobs sent emails and had it published in his biography], case closed move along nothing to see here... :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.