Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Hopefully these are "worldwide" agreements. Waited an additional year for iTunes Match and still no sign of Movies in the Cloud here in Germany....

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
I was hoping "someone familiar with the talks" would disclose the terms between Apple and Sony. Or should we assume its the same across the board...?

Either way, I don't like using spotify and I love pandora. For spotify to really be useful I have to pay their monthly fee. And Pandora is already a great music discovery tool. If "iRadio" is similar to pandora then I'll be switching over. Most likely it'll be another service managed by your Apple ID and if rumors are true, being able to fast-forward/rewind, IMO, gives it a distinct advantage over both Spotify and Pandora. And if you like the song enough to buy it on iTunes, iRadio should just transfer the song it already downloaded to your device to the music app, effectively cutting down your download time to 0.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
wont be much use for me either way because it would be added to my data volume which Spotify does not

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
The fundamental problem is that the battery of your iPhone (5 for me) will die after using this for 3 hours and that it will eat your data plan up so fast.... I know I know, it's still a welcome feature, but the battery life/data plan is the limiting factor for all mobile streaming services.

wont be much use for me either way because it would be added to my data volume which Spotify does not

How is that possible? Is spotify included in your plan or what?

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
I'm not really sure what it can do to wow us. I used to listen to Pandora, but I found the repetition to be very high so I switched to Slacker. I just don't know what they could offer that would make me use it over something else.

The only thing that may do it would be for some kind of built-in feature of the OS that a 3rd party app isn't able to do. I can't really expand on that because I can't think of any examples.

Also, while it may be free, I hope they offer no-ads for a nominal fee.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Hope this doesn't turn into another Ping

I hope it does. I hope it is Ping done the way it should have been all along. Opened to all artists with real sharing of more than just reviews but playlists etc.

Ping was great when it was Lala and had it come over full form it would have stood a chance. But for whatever reason it didn't and that was the iceberg that sunk it.

Better metadata combined with the connection data from Lala, Ping, iTunes Match and Genius would be a powerful and possibly 'killer' discovery tool.

shiny01

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2013
Also, with the $10/month for spotify, you can use offline playlists and basically save songs and playlists you listen to often, so it wont have to use up data when playing those.

Other than that, it does use a ton of data--especially when on the high quality bitrates.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Code:
Jobs would've closed these deals last year, and got better rates too.

Its more than likely that "iRadio" (god thats a terrible name) was in the works for several years.

Clearly nobody at Apple was as good at negotiation than the folks at Spotify.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
Also, with the $10/month for spotify, you can use offline playlists and basically save songs and playlists you listen to often, so it wont have to use up data when playing those.

Other than that, it does use a ton of data--especially when on the high quality bitrates.

Rdio is so clearly superior to Spotify for the simple reason the apps are better and there's actually a library function.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
I really dont get this. WTF! Apple should be worring about giving a MacMini that holds 10TB of data. WE already have Radio on iPod and we already have ANY MUSIC on the internet for FREE

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Code:

Its more than likely that "iRadio" (god thats a terrible name) was in the works for several years.

Clearly nobody at Apple was as good at negotiation than the folks at Spotify.

There is some evidence that Spotify's financials are not in good shape. I wouldn't necessarily call their negotiation skills better.

http://hypedsound.com/news/details/SPOTIFY-FINANCIALS-DEEMED-UNSUSTAINABLE

and

http://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyolson/2011/10/11/spotify-loses-42-million-on-licensing-costs/

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
I hope apple has something awesome lined up next week..

iRadio is not one of them for me but at least it's good that apple is working on something actively.

IOS 7 .. oh please... it better have complete overhaul of UI.. it better

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
There is some evidence that Spotify's financials are not in good shape. I wouldn't necessarily call their negotiation skills better.

http://hypedsound.com/news/details/SPOTIFY-FINANCIALS-DEEMED-UNSUSTAINABLE

and

http://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyolson/2011/10/11/spotify-loses-42-million-on-licensing-costs/

Their biggest problem is that they make nowhere near enough on the free model, and there are way too many people using it and not converting to paid customers. Solving that is key to their survival in the long run.

IMO they would do a lot for the business if they let you upload your own content like Google Music does.

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Their biggest problem is that they make nowhere near enough on the free model, and there are way too many people using it and not converting to paid customers. Solving that is key to their survival in the long run.

IMO they would do a lot for the business if they let you upload your own content like Google Music does.

Agreed. From the prior rumors it also sounded like Apple was trying to negotiate a more favorable royalty with the labels. Apple probably could take a loss on the service if it meant selling more hardware and/or iTunes tracks. Spotify doesn't really have that luxury.

AaronEdwards

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011

And one thing is sure, iRadio won't be the holy grail.
Ads won't pay artists nearly as much as a paid subscription does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.