Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lukejc1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
Wisconsin
Ok so now it's all but confirmed that iOS 7 will be announced next week. In the past, generally how much time has there been between new iOS announcement and it's public release?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Ok so now it's all but confirmed that iOS 7 will be announced next week. In the past, generally how much time has there been between new iOS announcement and it's public release?

last few years, the iOS release coincides with the next iPhone release.....

Meaning if it follows the 4S and 5, iOS 7 will launch with the iPhone 5S in late September/early October.

Prabas

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2010
Europe
Fall is bit late, but it is reasonable, since it is going to be something Apple never done with iOS, so there are going to be hundreds of bugs and it will take time to get everything right and ready for the masses.

But I guess I'll have to use beta versions for the first time.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Fall is bit late, but it is reasonable, since it is going to be something Apple never done with iOS, so there are going to be hundreds of bugs and it will take time to get everything right and ready for the masses.

But I guess I'll have to use beta versions for the first time.

"Late" is a relative term... Late compared to what? iOS had the last 2 major releases in early fall. Also... you will "have to" use beta versions? Why? Is your iPhone going to cease functioning when iOS 7 is announced?

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
As an user, I would want Apple to go through multiple beta testings before releasing it to us. iOS 7, based on rumors, will have many changes, and changes bring new bugs.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
If i had to guess: two months from now.

That would be an extremely quick beta process for developers to get their apps working. If they did that, iOS 7 would launch with very little app support.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
Going with the previous updates, it will be previewed at WWDC, betas will be released over the summer for testing & for developers to update their apps, and the public release will follow the new hardware in the fall.

And you need to be a developer to use the betas, unless you want to circumvent that restriction (I did it with iOS 6, was a pain to update from beta to the full release)

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
That would be an extremely quick beta process for developers to get their apps working. If they did that, iOS 7 would launch with very little app support.

I'd say 3 months tops. That's a beta release every 2 weeks. People have to be fast in these times. It's not like they're going to make iOS 7 completely backwards INcompatible! I mean, iOS 3.0-built apps still run on iOS 6, y'know?

I say we look back at history:
http://willhains.com/iOS-version-history

ninjazoe

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2013
I'd say 3 months tops. That's a beta release every 2 weeks. People have to be fast in these times. It's not like they're going to make iOS 7 completely backwards INcompatible! I mean, iOS 3.0-built apps still run on iOS 6, y'know?

I say we look back at history:
http://willhains.com/iOS-version-history

Yes, but as someone mentioned eariler there may and will be lots of bugs considering they changed many things. The most important factor here I think is the release of iPhone 5s. Why would they give us iOS 7 without showing off great working-only-on-iPhone5s features. Your chart shows 90 days for 6.0 and I am sure it will be similar here. Some sites even mentioned about iPhone 5s delays so I would not expect August release :<

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.