Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah, trying to protect the consumer is pretty stupid, I agree. :eek:

Trying to protect the consumer from what? If there is not product to sell then it doesnt matter anymore.

----------

Amazon controls upwards of 60% of the book market. That's a majority, not a monopoly.

----------

And you obviously don't know what's going on. Read the other thread on the subject and educate yourself.

In 2010 amazon was nearly 100% of the e book market. Just want to make sure we have facts in this conversation.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2010/02...rket-share-may-plummet-great-news-for-amazon/

----------

Amazon didn't have a monopoly. Fact.
Amazon was not guilty of doing anything illegally. Fact.

Amazon being hated by publishers was what you said but not just because of perceived value - but because Amazon sold some eBooks below what hard copy books were being sold for and reduced sales for printed books. The thing is - if you don't sell an eBook - you don't eat costs. When physical books don't sell - they get sent back to the publisher. Amazon was rapidly increasing the desire for eBooks OVER physical books. Which is why some publishers decided to hold back popular titles either "permanently" or until they believed they had gotten their physical sales "rush" and were comfortable releasing them electronically.

At the end of the day - Amazon was paying the publishers the very same regardless. The publishers weren't losing money on eBooks. They were losing money on printed books.

And the agency model didn't really help them diminish Amazon's sales of eBooks AND they were making less much of the time because of the 30% "commission."

I'm not saying you are factually incorrect. I just think you're posting with a bias that doesn't tell the entire story.

All these links say otherwise: https://www.google.com/search?q=amazon+ebook+market+share+2010&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari also note that while amazon was going the wholesale route for ebooks amazon would issue a harsh punishments if publishers didnt go along with their plans.

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
All these links say otherwise: https://www.google.com/search?q=amazon+ebook+market+share+2010&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari also note that while amazon was going the wholesale route for ebooks amazon would issue a harsh punishments if publishers didnt go along with their plans.

Very few of those links portray Amazon and their ebook business in a negative light, and really, they shouldn't. Amazon might be guilty of some underhanded tactics here and there (what business isn't), but nothing they did could be considered outright illegal.

Amazon's push into ebooks was very similar to Apple's push into digital music. Sure, there were e-readers before the kindle, much like there were MP3 players before the iPod. But Amazon and Apple both managed to launch the right product with the right services at the right time and claim a huge chunk of the market.

No one's screaming that Apple should be punished for owning 63% of the digital music market as of April 2013, so why should we be giving them but not Amazon a pass for basically being in the same position?

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
Very few of those links portray Amazon and their ebook business in a negative light, and really, they shouldn't. Amazon might be guilty of some underhanded tactics here and there (what business isn't), but nothing they did could be considered outright illegal.

Amazon's push into ebooks was very similar to Apple's push into digital music. Sure, there were e-readers before the kindle, much like there were MP3 players before the iPod. But Amazon and Apple both managed to launch the right product with the right services at the right time and claim a huge chunk of the market.

No one's screaming that Apple should be punished for owning 63% of the digital music market as of April 2013, so why should we be giving them but not Amazon a pass for basically being in the same position?

Thanks again for avoiding the data point that Amazon had MORE than 63% on the day of iPad's release. Correlation is not causation, but wouldn't the agency model be at least partially responsible for moving Amazon to the position it is now in sales versus where it was? Couldn't it be argued that the agency model created more competitors in the ebook space?

It can even be argued that prices have come down from an early peak and are similar to those of the wholesale model, averaged over time for an ebook bestseller. Isn't that exactly what was stated would happen?

Guilt or innocence of Apple's "collusion" will be determined in this trial, but I believe that DOJ jumped the gun on this case and trial based on a single metric of "consumer" pricing.

Renzatic

Suspended
Thanks again for avoiding the data point that Amazon had MORE than 63% on the day of iPad's release. Correlation is not causation, but wouldn't the agency model be at least partially responsible for moving Amazon to the position it is now in sales versus where it was? Couldn't it be argued that the agency model created more competitors in the ebook space?

It can even be argued that prices have come down from an early peak and are similar to those of the wholesale model, averaged over time for an ebook bestseller. Isn't that exactly what was stated would happen?

At one time, Apple had more of the digital music market as well. When it comes right down to it, Amazon never had a stranglehold on ebooks, even with having nearly 100% of the marketshare. They were never a true monopoly, in a position to squash and and all competition that came up against them. They merely had the most popular service that everyone preferred using.

Yes, it would've been difficult for a newcomer to go against Amazon, but not impossible. After all, they're a retailer. It's difficult to corner a market when you're not producing anything, but rather selling someone else's goods. Yes, they do have a lot of say in their particular market, and have worked out quite a few deals to their advantage, but none of it was illegal.

I will agree that moving to the agency model did allow for more players to enter into the scene, but it came at a huge cost. Basically replacing an alleged potential monopoly with an actual one. And like I said before, it's not the agency model itself anyone should have a problem with. It's how it came about.

Guilt or innocence of Apple's "collusion" will be determined in this trial, but I believe that DOJ jumped the gun on this case and trial based on a single metric of "consumer" pricing.

Apple's involvement is a little murky. They knew about it, and were certainly willing to take advantage of it, but were they directly involved? I think there's enough evidence to justify an investigation, but the matter of their guilt is still very much up in the air.

The publishers on the other hand, well, three of the big 5 have already settled out rather than going to trial. It certainly doesn't look good for them.

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Last edited:

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

Amazon has actually punished Book publishers who didnt go along with their ebook scheme. 63% is a far cry from 90%. Before Apple joined the ebook retail business, amazon charged magazines and newspaper sellers 70% and not the 30% apple was charging. I work for a major publisher and that was a major bone of contention for them.

Edited to say magazines and newspapers not ebooks. Publishers should have the right to set the retail price of the item being sold as eBooks are fundamentally different then something that is a tangible item for Apple they always charge 30% cut for any digital content or apps sold on their store. Why would eBooks be any different?

----------

Say what. What are they saying. You linked to a google search. Care to explain what your point actually is?

Claims that amazon didnt have a monopoly are false. They did have one.

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
Amazon has actually punished Book publishers who didnt go along with their ebook scheme. 63% is a far cry from 90%. Before Apple joined the ebook retail business, amazon charged ebook sellers 70% and not the 30% apple was charging. I work for a major publisher and that was a major bone of contention for them.

Okay, I might be willing to concede your point. I just read this, and it's pretty interesting. Amazon might've been doing a lot more than I thought.

Asia8

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2011
No.. no.. no..

All part of the plan... He was on his new boat apple bought him a couple of days ago getting smashed on booze the night before the case. His arguments were all true and honest, after drinking that much at such a huge party he couldn't even remember the 2 days leading up to the case.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Amazon has actually punished Book publishers who didnt go along with their ebook scheme. 63% is a far cry from 90%. Before Apple joined the ebook retail business, amazon charged ebook sellers 70% and not the 30% apple was charging. I work for a major publisher and that was a major bone of contention for them.

How they could charge a 70% when they had a wholesale model?

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
You are as right, as you think I am wrong. As I have already said, you have been very entertaining. However every show must have an ending and so I will take my leave. :p

Well... It now seems rather obvious that you were only pretending to be entertained, while I was and am extremely entertained by you. However, you are correct in saying this must end. Of course it only ends when I say it ends, and I say it ends now. I always get to have the last word. You should know and respect that. Please do not reply to this post...ever... I'm not kidding. :mad:

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
Amazon has actually punished Book publishers who didnt go along with their ebook scheme. 63% is a far cry from 90%. Before Apple joined the ebook retail business, amazon charged ebook sellers 70% and not the 30% apple was charging. I work for a major publisher and that was a major bone of contention for them

So why didn't they just sell their books cheaper to the reseller that required the smaller cut? Was it really necessary to break the law?

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
Well... It now seems rather obvious that you were only pretending to be entertained, while I was and am extremely entertained by you. However, you are correct in saying this must end. Of course it only ends when I say it ends, and I say it ends now. I always get to have the last word. You should know and respect that. Please do not reply to this post...ever... I'm not kidding. :mad:

Of course you are not kidding.... This really seems to have struck a nerve, however it has at least exposed the real reasons for your posts. Poster's who appear to display sociopathic tendencies are extremely amusing. Yes, I was getting a bit bored, but you have really come back with some really bizarre stuff.

Do you actually read what you post? Your last one is the funniest to date.

"Of course it only ends when I say it ends, and I say it ends now."
Really? You forgot to add "Na ha ha and the world will be mine!!!!" :rolleyes:

"I always get to have the last word. You should know and respect that."
Really, why is that? Remind me of your status here on MR, so that I can ascertain your reasons as to why you believe I should "know and respect you". :confused:

Coming from somebody as yourself, who poorly attempted to take the high ground and is now acting like a child demanding to have the last word, I think not.

"Please do not reply to this post...ever... I'm not kidding. :mad:"
Sure. Otherwise, you will probably write another inappropriate post, which will need modifying to avoid moderator intervention, as you did previously? It is widely accepted in debating that once a party loses control, they have generally lost all respect and the argument. You have demonstrated this point perfectly.

It appears that it is you and not myself who is pretending to be amused. I wish you good luck with your demands that we should all "know and respect" you etc. LOL!

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
How they could charge a 70% when they had a wholesale model?

For us at NYT Amazon kept 70% of all revenue from our kindle subscriptions and we at NYT got to keep 30% until apple got into the e-book retailing biz.

----------

So why didn't they just sell their books cheaper to the reseller that required the smaller cut? Was it really necessary to break the law?

I dont think they broke the law. Just because prices ended up being higher doesnt mean there was any law breaking and in the beginning Apple didnt have all of the publishers on board. I remember. When iBooks first showed up there was barely anything on there. It was quite obvious to anyone who actually tried to buy books all the publishers werent on board yet.

read here also

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

I edited the post to say newspapers and magazines.

Publishers should have the right to set the retail price of the item being sold as eBooks are fundamentally different then something that is a tangible item for Apple they always charge 30% cut for any digital content or apps sold on their store. Why would eBooks be any different? Apple has had the agency model in place way before book publishers got involved with Apple.

Was the music industry colluding to set prices when they all agreed to raise e price of songs from 99 cents to 1.29? That is a 30% jump in prices very much like book industry...except with Apple being the dominant player. Ebook publishers wanted to charge more than what the prices already are and Apple said they shouldnt because hen the books wouldnt sell and the book publishing industry ultimately agreed.

I think digital content is a different animal from physical items and I dont think the law adequately reflects this. But I will say that the difference between Apple and Amazon here is that mp3 prices weren't set so much lower that they initially were hurting cd sales. It gave people who werent in the market for cds to actually pay for what they consume.

Last edited:

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Of course you are not kidding.... This really seems to have struck a nerve, however it has at least exposed the real reasons for your posts. Poster's who appear to display sociopathic tendencies are extremely amusing. Yes, I was getting a bit bored, but you have really come back with some really bizarre stuff.

Do you actually read what you post? Your last one is the funniest to date.

Really? You forgot to add "Na ha ha and the world will be mine!!!!" :rolleyes:

Really, why is that? Remind me of your status here on MR, so that I can ascertain your reasons as to why you believe I should "know and respect you". :confused:

Coming from somebody as yourself, who poorly attempted to take the high ground and is now acting like a child demanding to have the last word, I think not.

Sure. Otherwise, you will probably write another inappropriate post, which will need modifying to avoid moderator intervention, as you did previously? It is widely accepted in debating that once a party loses control, they have generally lost all respect and the argument. You have demonstrated this point perfectly.

It appears that it is you and not myself who is pretending to be amused. I wish you good luck with your demands that we should all "know and respect" you etc. LOL!

Got Cha...:p

hill60

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2010
Your books won't mysteriously disappear off your iPad or Kindle the moment a publisher goes defunct. Whatever you have on your ebook reader now is what you'll have tomorrow. Assuming Apple or Amazon don't decide to whisk it away from your account for reasons unknown, of course.

Unless it was Orwell's 1984 or Animal Farm, removed from Kindles in 2009 due to them being published in Amazon's store by a company that did not have the rights to them.

Last edited:

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
The only way to stop the prosecution fabricating evidence is to require judges to immediately and permanently dismiss a prosecution - no chance of ever prosecuting again.

Currently, judges just shrug and say, it's only one case of evidence fabrication, the rest might be trustworthy…

It's so hard to expose this (common practice) and it should be stamped out immediately.

I don't know if OJ did it or not, but when the prosecution produced the gloves and they didn't fit OJ's hands, the whole case should have been thrown out. This 'we know they did it, we just don't have the evidence…' nonsense should be punished severely - not only thrown out, but prosecution staff and witnesses punished to the full extent of the law, not only for fabricating, not only for betraying the public trust over the future of people's lives, but wasting valuable time and money.

----

Also, not only does Google wish there were no laws, they don't bother with the ones we have.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
The only way to stop the prosecution fabricating evidence is to require judges to immediately and permanently dismiss a prosecution - no chance of ever prosecuting again.

Currently, judges just shrug and say, it's only one case of evidence fabrication, the rest might be trustworthy…

It's so hard to expose this (common practice) and it should be stamped out immediately.

I don't know if OJ did it or not, but when the prosecution produced the gloves and they didn't fit OJ's hands, the whole case should have been thrown out. This 'we know they did it, we just don't have the evidence…' nonsense should be punished severely - not only thrown out, but prosecution staff and witnesses punished to the full extent of the law, not only for fabricating, not only for betraying the public trust over the future of people's lives, but wasting valuable time and money.

----

Also, not only does Google wish there were no laws, they don't bother with the ones we have.

"don't know if OJ did it or not"

Seriously? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.