Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmanderson

macrumors regular
May 20, 2013
I don't really hear people say Oh Ess Ex. Maybe on RARE occasion. I'd rather them stick to numerical values, like 10 or 11. When people say Lion or Mountain Lion or Tiger, I can't even remember which version that was.

I'm pretty sure when Apple goes to version 11, they're drop the X, and it will just be Mac OS 11.1, 11.2 etc.

Nah. It's not Mac OS anything now. They dropped the Mac a while ago.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
It makes perfect sense. Some unification between the two operating systems is inevitable. By unification, all I mean to say is that there is increasingly more overlap in the interface and the functionality of OS X and iOS. It would only make sense to do this.
Yes... that would make sense... but that isn't what the original post was implying.

And calling 10.9 , sea lion, etc.. is?????
I don't see how that pertains to anything I said. I wasn't discussing the name of the next OS X version.

Super original.
What makes it worse is them trying to pass it off as their own idea... even though it's been said 800 times in this thread already. :\

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Goodbye to IOS and OSX......welcome to 7X , a dual operating system for iPhone/iPad and Macbooks/iMac

Hmmm Microsoft already did that. And failed.

Until the day that there are no iPhones or iMacs, but just one thing that oes everything the software will never be dual. Just doesn't make sense.

They will have similar features, same frameworks but be two variations on the theme

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Hmmm Microsoft already did that. And failed.

Until the day that there are no iPhones or iMacs, but just one thing that oes everything the software will never be dual. Just doesn't make sense.

They will have similar features, same frameworks but be two variations on the theme

It failed? Early days still, and Windows 8 is so nice to use I don't see how it can fail, except that there is no accounting for people.

Everyone that thought of Sea Lion ... well done :D.

The Deepness

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008
Whether you pronounce the numeral X as 'ten' or 'ex' does not matter. Just like in hexadecimal, you could say 'A' (ay) or 'ten'. No difference. In fact typically it's done quite the other way: 0x4ab9aab would be pronounced 'four a b 9 a a b' rather than 78355115.

It's not the numeral system we're "used to" so when you see 'MCMXCIV' do you immediately see that as the '1994' it stands for, do you work it out or do you just go 'em cee em ex etc'? I suspect it's the latter.

So next time someone says 'OS Ex', calm down.

Actually, it does matter. One is the name of the product, the other is not. But more to the point, Roman numerals are NUMERALS (that means numbers) not letters. Maybe YOU don't know how to read Roman numerals when you see them, but I don't have that problem, especially with a number as simple as ten.

When I see Roman numerals, I think and say the numbers represented, not letters, because I know what they are and how to pronounce them. Star Trek II is pronounced "Star Trek Two" not "Star Trek Eye Eye". Super Bowl XXX is "Super Bowl Thirty" not "Super Bowl Triple Ex". Letters and numbers are not always interchangeable as you suggest.

And it's not just like hexadecimal. Hexadecimal, and decimal for that matter, are both shorthand for binary, a computer language. Whether you say 0x4ab9aab or 78355115, both actually represent 100101010111001101010101011. But that is a completely different usage than what we're talking about.

Firstly, this is about what I consider to be bad branding. And secondly, Roman numerals are numbers, not letters. Having such a conversation about Roman numerals in 2013 (that's MMXIII) is ridiculous to me, not because they're rarely used, but because they're so often used and people should know what they are and how to pronounce them correctly.

Alright, I'm done poking back at you, CyBeRino. You're right. I'll calm down now. :)

Regarding Mac OS X, and I'm saying "Mac OS Ten" here, CyBeRino, I think HenryDJP has a point. While X, pronounced "ex", is often used in product names these days, with Mac OS it's been established since 2000 (that's MM) that the name of the operating system is pronounced "Mac OS Ten" and anyone pronouncing it "Mac OS Ex" is doing so either because the don't know any better, don't care, or are making a point to mispronounce it deliberately. Regardless, it's the wrong pronunciation and is very annoying to some of us.

And this just goes to my point that Apple should drop the X in the name altogether. When so many people arbitrarily or deliberately mispronounce the name of your product, you should seriously consider changing the name.

Last edited:

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
Nah. It's not Mac OS anything now. They dropped the Mac a while ago.

Oops I forgot. Well then they'll just call it OS 11 and whatever. The X and whatever other roman numerals are gone. Even though they still used Final Cut Pro X recently.

----------

I dont think the wave is anything more than a photo to represent a "new wave" of software. iOS 10.9 probably just has more iOS integration is all. So it's almost pre-OS 11 software. It could represent a feature, but Google already used wave, and I don't think there will be a feature called break, surf, ocean, or tide.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
It failed? Early days still, and Windows 8 is so nice to use I don't see how it can fail, except that there is no accounting for people.

Everyone that thought of Sea Lion ... well done :D.
That is certainly your opinion.

5errated

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
SOLUTION!

The banner has waves, and an X.

Sound travels in waves. Apple has sound editing software. Logic Pro.

The current version is 9.

Next version would obviously be 10.

10 in roman numerals is X.

Logic Pro X.

You're welcome.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
SOLUTION!

The banner has waves, and an X.

Sound travels in waves. Apple has sound editing software. Logic Pro.

The current version is 9.

Next version would obviously be 10.

10 in roman numerals is X.

Logic Pro X.

You're welcome.

This is probably more correct than anything else here.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Actually, it does matter. One is the name of the product, the other is not. But more to the point, Roman numerals are NUMERALS (that means numbers) not letters. Maybe YOU don't know how to read Roman numerals when you see them, but I don't have that problem, especially with a number as simple as ten.

When I see Roman numerals, I think and say the numbers represented, not letters, because I know what they are and how to pronounce them. Star Trek II is pronounced "Star Trek Two" not "Star Trek Eye Eye". Super Bowl XXX is "Super Bowl Thirty" not "Super Bowl Triple Ex". Letters and numbers are not always interchangeable as you suggest.

And it's not just like hexadecimal. Hexadecimal, and decimal for that matter, are both shorthand for binary, a computer language. Whether you say 0x4ab9aab or 78355115, both actually represent 100101010111001101010101011. But that is a completely different usage than what we're talking about.

Firstly, this is about what I consider to be bad branding. And secondly, Roman numerals are numbers, not letters. Having such a conversation about Roman numerals in 2013 (that's MMXIII) is ridiculous to me, not because they're rarely used, but because they're so often used and people should know what they are and how to pronounce them correctly.

Alright, I'm done poking back at you, CyBeRino. You're right. I'll calm down now. :)

Regarding Mac OS X, and I'm saying "Mac OS Ten" here, CyBeRino, I think HenryDJP has a point. While X, pronounced "ex", is often used in product names these days, with Mac OS it's been established since 2000 (that's MM) that the name of the operating system is pronounced "Mac OS Ten" and anyone pronouncing it "Mac OS Ex" is doing so either because the don't know any better, don't care, or are making a point to mispronounce it deliberately. Regardless, it's the wrong pronunciation and is very annoying to some of us.

And this just goes to my point that Apple should drop the X in the name altogether. When so many people arbitrarily or deliberately mispronounce the name of your product, you should seriously consider changing the name.
To me, I agree with it being annoying to say it as "Ex" instead of 10, because that's very simply wrong. But what's almost as bad, if not worse, is when people call it some random thing like "iOS 10 Mountain Lion" or "iOS Lion" or something. That's just confusing the two different operating systems.

So whatever they do with the name, there will probably be people that will pronounce it wrong, so whatever Apple wants to do with OS X right now, it's likely going to happen.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
Its OS/X LYNX

CNet cited internal sources. then deleted, seems somebody at apple pressed.

Apple still has another Cat as trademark registeded: Jaguar for OSX 10.10

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Its OS/X LYNX

CNet cited internal sources. then deleted, seems somebody at apple pressed.

Apple still has another Cat as trademark registeded: Jaguar for OSX 10.10

Jaguar was 10.2.

prnoct90

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2007

You have no life.

prnoct90

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2007
To me, I agree with it being annoying to say it as "Ex" instead of 10, because that's very simply wrong. But what's almost as bad, if not worse, is when people call it some random thing like "iOS 10 Mountain Lion" or "iOS Lion" or something. That's just confusing the two different operating systems.

So whatever they do with the name, there will probably be people that will pronounce it wrong, so whatever Apple wants to do with OS X right now, it's likely going to happen.

You can call it whatever you want. Every employee I've ever talked to at my local Apple Store has pronounced it "O.S.Ex."

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
What if the wave is ACTUALLY a cover up of what "X" will be?? In other words, once the wave crashes , which looks like its about ready to, there is something behind it. Washout the old and see what's developing for the future :eek:

I could actually believe that. While everyone is in the keynote they peel back something and we see a slightly different photo when they come out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.