Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pacuthbert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2013
Hi,

I hope you all are having a great day and a lovely easter.

I was hoping if any of you would be able to point me in the right direction. Note: This is a bit long!

I bought my 13" MacBook Pro in Feb 2012, with OSX Lion installed. It has never really been stable since the day I bought it. I don't have AppleCare either.

Basically, I keep getting the BeachBall spinning for ages, but I can click around a bit but nothing new will open nor will it actually do anything. It's just stagnent. The only way to resolve it is to force shutdown via holding down the power button for a while (which I absolutely hate doing).

It never comes with a crash message, but I've once left it to maybe think about what it wants to do, and decided to stay that way for more than 40 minutes. I try to Force Quit, and that does not work at all. It lets me force quit, but nothing closes.

I've noticed the crashes generally occur to Google Chrome. I've never uninstalled it or changed to using Safari or FireFox as I don't really like it. Basically my partner's Macbook from 2008 is even more stable than mine and can go for months without a shutdown. The most mine has ever done is: 4 days.

Here's the specs I've got:

Macbook Pro 13" early 2012 edition
OSX version 10.7.5 (Lion)
- 2.8 GHz i7
- 4GB memory

What I've done so far to tackle the problem:
- Reinstalled OS Lion
- Installed the Latest Java
- Done a whole bunch of system/permission repairs via Disk Utility
- Reset PRAM and SMC

It's not like this computer uses heavy processes either. It freezes randomly, but always when I've got multiple tabs open on Chrome.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch and definitely thanks for reading!

Cheers,
Ashley

tekksan

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
Hi,

I was hoping if any of you would be able to point me in the right direction. Note: This is a bit long!

I bought my 13" MacBook Pro in Feb 2012, with OSX Lion installed. It has never really been stable since the day I bought it. I don't have AppleCare either.

Basically, I keep getting the BeachBall spinning for ages, but I can click around a bit but nothing new will open nor will it actually do anything. It's just stagnent. The only way to resolve it is to force shutdown via holding down the power button for a while (which I absolutely hate doing).

It never comes with a crash message, but I've once left it to maybe think about what it wants to do, and decided to stay that way for more than 40 minutes. I try to Force Quit, and that does not work at all. It lets me force quit, but nothing closes.

I've noticed the crashes generally occur to Google Chrome. I've never uninstalled it or changed to using Safari or FireFox as I don't really like it. Basically my partner's Macbook from 2008 is even more stable than mine and can go for months without a shutdown. The most mine has ever done is: 4 days.

- 2.8 GHz i7
- 4GB memory

- Reinstalled OS Lion
- Reset PRAM and SMC

It's not like this computer uses heavy processes either. It freezes randomly, but always when I've got multiple tabs open on Chrome.

Cheers,
Ashley

I had the same hassles with Chrome on my 2012 rMBP. I gave up on it and started using the webkit nightly browser instead and have had zero problems since. Chrome would lock up my whole system every few days.

damolat

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2013
Please help. I'm having exactly the same problem. I only had some peace when I uninstalled the chrome. Once I open chrome, my computer hangs for like 10-15 minutes and I can't even do anything reasonable on it. I just actually downloaded that version of chrome because I did a clean erase and install of my machine. So I'm thinking its something that has to do with that new version of chrome. I also run Lion 10.7.5 with 2.53 GHz Core i5 Processor and 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3.

Please help us!!!

thetoolwiz

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2013
I recently upgraded my Mac Mini from a Spring 2009 version to a brand new Oct 2012 model. I've been running the latest OS and apps all along.

My new Mac Mini has a 2.1 GHz quad-core i7 CPU in it, with 16GB of RAM. The older machine had a 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo CPU.

Ever since I got the newer Mac Mini, I've been experiencing frequent system freezes and crashes that always seem to be associated with Chrome.

Chrome is also repeatedly displaying pages that say, "Oh, Snap! ______ crashed!" It's almost always one of the video codecs, like Shockwave, Silverlight, or something related.

I'm wondering if there's an issue with Chrome running as a 64-bit app in an i7 CPU?

This is getting really annoying, as it crashes 2, 3, sometimes 4 times PER DAY!

My older machine only crashed 2-3 times PER YEAR.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
For those having issues with Chrome, first make sure you're running the latest version.

If you still have issues, reapply the combo update for your system and then apply any patches that are available (10.7.5 will have at least a security patch available after the combo update is installed).

And if that doesn't work, there's always Firefox or Safari.

10.7.5 was prone to beachballs when it went looking for network items, and couldn't find them.
There were options short of rebooting:
Making Finder BeachBalls go away without rebooting System
This does not sound like the issue that they're talking about at all.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
This does not sound like the issue that they're talking about at all.
Beachballs are beachballs, they don't exactly tell you why they're there. The triggering by Chrome may simply indicate that the app is asking for something which the network cannot provide.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Beachballs are beachballs, they don't exactly tell you why they're there. The triggering by Chrome may simply indicate that the app is asking for something which the network cannot provide.
You are right about beach balls in general, however from what the various people who are having issues said, I don't think it is a network issue for them.

One of the people reporting issues is apparently on 10.8.?. There have been reports in the past of Chrome causing system crashes, so it may actually be a Chrome issue.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Yeah, having fought beachballs in 10.7.5 I tossed the link in as a possibility, certainly not as a certainty.

fbcooper

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2013
Chrome on Mac causing excessive Inactive Memory -

I have 2 versions of Chrome on my Mac. The 'normal' one is my goto browser, but it recently started using excessive inactive memory and it was showing very choppy performance. Just starting it, I saw inactive growing more and more. I deleted, reinstalled, cleared all cache, cleared local data, watched the console logs. I watched the Chrome Task Manager but didn't see a huge difference but something seemed to be starting every few seconds on Chrome (normal) then stopping and leaving Inactive Memory increase. The amount of the increase was 15Mb or so. In the console, there are some chrome messages there. However, I started the Canary version and its stable. It has the same messages as the Normal one.

I used 'purge' to free up the inactive memory and had to manually kill Chrome to get it off line. The normal quit just hung up.

Here's the current Chrome and Mac Os versions.
Mac Os 10.7.5
Chrome (normal) Version 27.0.1453.116

Chrome (canary) Version 30.0.1552.0 canary

biblicaldemoman

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2014
Quincy, MA
ReL Mac OS X Lion v 10.7.5 keeps crashing due to Chrome

I've been having the same issues ever since I installed Chrome on my iMac 5, 2CD. I'll usually have Spotify and one other program running (usually iTunes or Mail.), and while I'm listening to a song, my iMac will lock up. I usually will have a couple tabs open, including Facebook with the Ponyhoof extension. I have 2 GB of DDR memory and a Intel Core 2 Duo processor. I remedied the problem after reading this post by deleting my copy of Google Chrome Canary and switched back to Opera, which hasn't locked up since I switched back to it. At the time, I was wondering if the programs I was running was causing it to lock up, but then it locked up earlier today while just Spotify, Chrome, and Finder were open. The point I'm trying to make is, was it just the fact that I had Chrome, or was it the programs I was running?

Zendokan

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2011
Belgium
Hi,

- 2.8 GHz i7
- 4GB memory

- Reinstalled OS Lion
- Reset PRAM and SMC

Cheers,
Ashley

Hello,

I'm wondering why you would keep OSX version 10.7.5 (Lion) on your 2012 MBP? Serious question!
You can download and install 10.9.x (Mavericks) free of charge, your hardware can run it easily, it's a lot more stable than Lion and it won't slow down your machine.

I've installed it on my 2010 iMac, which came with 10.6.x Snow Leopard and on my 2011 MBP which came with Lion...
Technically, I first installed 10.8.x Mountain Lion when that came out and afterwards Mavericks. ML and M ran a lot smoother without slowing down anything and I will later upgrade both machines to 10.10.x Yosemite.

Maybe that's an alternative route to consider instead of trying to get Lion to work smoothly...

Reactions: kern1988

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Simple answer: don't use Chrome. Use Opera, for instance, it is a good browser and frees you from Google.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.