Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamsen47

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2012
Kobe, Japan
As above in title. If I were to run a cable from the battery/alternator/that-thingy into say, a lighter socket, and use that to charge my MBA. Would the power provided be stable enough?

It is but a mere 50cc scooter, I don't know how much power the alternator actually provides or whether it's stable. I know people that've connected USB outlets to charge their phones/GPS.

Will an unstable current damage the battery or charger?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Assuming the scooter's electrical system is 12 volt, then a cig. lighter adaptor attached to the battery would work fine. Don't attach it to the alternator though, you want the battery there to provide stable power.

mattferg

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2013
As above in title. If I were to run a cable from the battery/alternator/that-thingy into say, a lighter socket, and use that to charge my MBA. Would the power provided be stable enough?

It is but a mere 50cc scooter, I don't know how much power the alternator actually provides or whether it's stable. I know people that've connected USB outlets to charge their phones/GPS.

Will an unstable current damage the battery or charger?

Not sure if the 12V current coming out would have enough Amps to charge the battery in any meaningful timeframe.

iamsen47

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2012
Kobe, Japan
Not sure if the 12V current coming out would have enough Amps to charge the battery in any meaningful timeframe.

That might be true.

I had been thinking of going on a short little road trip into somewhere remote, camping most of the time. The little scooty will have to charge an iPhone, iPad, MBA and a mifi. Honestly, I don't know if it'll work. I might get a solar charger for some extra juice if necessary, though I'm more worried that an unstable current might damage the chargers/batteries.

----------

Assuming the scooter's electrical system is 12 volt, then a cig. lighter adaptor attached to the battery would work fine. Don't attach it to the alternator though, you want the battery there to provide stable power.

yes that. Cig lighter, forgot what it was called for a moment there. My friends have those on their big touring bikes. Mine is but a mere city commuter :(

photo.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.