Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rapsuperhase

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2013
Germany
I want to buy a Mac Mini, too. Actually I think the current model with the Intel quad CPU is pretty fast. And since I want to have the server version I don't care about the graphics performance. The reason why I'm not sure if I should buy it today is the new 802.11ac WiFi chip every new macs is likely going to get.

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
Go read up on the Haswell graphics -- the improvements are many, including for the first time, dedicated DRAM on some of the models for graphics. That alone should help out a lot, since the GPU won't be sharing the memory bus with the CPU. Plus they increased the shader units over HD4000, which unlike CPU core increases, actually does yield pretty much a linear performance increase.

I won't go out as far to say that Haswell graphics will be an AMD or Nvidia killer, but it should be a very big upgrade over what we've typically seen from Intel.

I am sure that Haswell graphics will be quite a bit better. I just don't buy into the Intel marketing department reports of a 2-3 times improvement in graphics performance (or at least not for real world applications). Haswell was designed as an x86 competitor to the growing number of integrated ARM architecture based chipsets for portable devices and less so as a higher performance CPU replacement for desktop systems. Except for reduced power consumption and lower operating temperatures these new chips won't have much else going for them for traditional desktop and laptop/notebook users so they have to have some kind of pre-release hype to market them and a major improvement in integrated graphics performance is what they are heavily promoting. It will be interesting to see if the 2-3 times graphics performance marketing claims hold true since claims for the HD4000 ended up not being as ground breaking as the Ivy Bridge integrated graphics pre-release hype led some Mac Mini users to believe. We won't have to wait very long for independent test reviews since Haswell is supposed to be released very soon.

Last edited:

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
I want to buy a Mac Mini, too. Actually I think the current model with the Intel quad CPU is pretty fast. And since I want to have the server version I don't care about the graphics performance. The reason why I'm not sure if I should buy it today is the new 802.11ac WiFi chip every new macs is likely going to get.

If you don't have an urgent need for an updated system and you can wait six to eight months for the next Mini release then wait. I also like the prospect of 802.11ac in the next generation of Macs but I wouldn't let that hold you back. You can always get a third party 802.11ac wireless USB dongle or a wireless ac bridge device with Gigabit Ethernet to plug into your Mac Mini that will work as well or better than built in wireless ac. The thing that I don't like about waiting for the next Mini releases is wondering what hardware design features in the next generation of systems Apple may or may not discontinue (Firewire ports, hard drive and memory upgrade capability, aluminum case, etc.). If you want to go with a Mini right now and want to maximize the time until the next future upgrade then a i7 quad core Mini model would be the way to go.

Last edited:

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013

Hmmm...

The Wifi card is removable on the current Mac mini. It is pretty much the only part that is. I wonder if they update the card in the new model whether it is a potential mod/upgrade on the current 2012s and 11s?

No way to know now but it is a thought.

----------

If you don't have an urgent need for an updated system and you can wait six to eight months for the next Mini release then wait. I also like the prospect of 802.11ac in the next generation of Macs but I wouldn't let that hold you back. You can always get a third party 802.11ac wireless USB dongle or a wireless ac bridge device with Gigabit Ethernet to plug into your Mac Mini that will work as well or better than built in wireless ac. The thing that I don't like about waiting for the next Mini releases is wondering what hardware design features in the next generation of systems Apple may or may not discontinue (Firewire ports, hard drive and memory upgrade capability, aluminum case, etc.). If you want to go with a Mini right now and want to maximize the time until the next future upgrade then a i7 quad core Mini model would be the way to go.

Good point on the question of ports/connections.

They will get rid of FireWire because it is outdated and add a T-bolt so there are two. You can then use their T-bolt to FW adapter. I just cannot see them keeping FireWire when you have USB3.0 and T-Bolt.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Is there any reason to wait till after the WWDC to get a mac mini?
Also, would you spurge for the server mac mini.
I'm using this for a home computer with typical family video and photo editing.

If you don't have an urgent need for an updated system and you can wait six to eight months for the next Mini release then wait.

This is ridiculous.

"If you don't have an urgent need for an updated systems and you can wait 1 to 2 YEARS, the next, next, next Mini will have [fill in the blank]."

No one knows when the next Mini;

1. Will be announced.
2. Will be available.
3. What features it will have.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I am waiting until they give the option for the fusion drive (or SSD) in the base Mac Mini. I don't want to disassemble the whole unit to do it myself, nor do I want to spend $1050+ to have a fusion option."

You could buy an external enclosure (or USB/SATA dock), buy an SSD, and create a fusion setup between the internal HDD and the external SSD.

I don't believe that Apple's fusion technology requires that both drives be in an "internal" enclosure. All you need are two drives.

Of course, once you do this, you'll always want the external portion of the fusion setup connected before you power on the Mini!

Aside:
Just in case the external drive got disconnected, and you then tried to power up, I don't foresee any damage to the fusion setup -- rather, the Mac just wouldn't boot (probably would put up a "?" icon)...

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
This is ridiculous.

"If you don't have an urgent need for an updated systems and you can wait 1 to 2 YEARS, the next, next, next Mini will have [fill in the blank]."

No one knows when the next Mini;

1. Will be announced.
2. Will be available.
3. What features it will have.

What are you saying is ridiculous? If you have no immediate need for a Mac Mini that you should just buy a 2012 model just to have one? I have to ask, what do you do? Collect Mac Mini's for a living?

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Of course, once you do this, you'll always want the external portion of the fusion setup connected before you power on the Mini!
And because you will make errors: just use the external SSD as main drive, don't fuse. It will be as fast. You can clone the system to your internal so you can boot from both drives in case of emergency, and putting the data files on the HD by hand is not much more complicated than Apple's automatic algorithm. And you won't have background moving tasks running all the time.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
What are you saying is ridiculous? If you have no immediate need for a Mac Mini that you should just buy a 2012 model just to have one? I have to ask, what do you do? Collect Mac Mini's for a living?

No, what you said first was ridiculous. What's quoted above indicates you either lack the ability to understand what I wrote or find it easier to lie about it. It's zero help to tell someone 'if they can wait for the next, big feature, that you're guessing will be in the next model, then wait.' Wow, what insight.

I did not say buy a Mini just to have one.

What should be common sense isn't, given the number of threads started by people who ask strangers on the Internet, who have no more knowledge about upcoming devices than anyone else, despite their ability to toss around technical jargon.

What's the common sense?

1. If you need one now, buy it now
2. If you want one now, buy it now.
3. If neither 1 or 2 apply, wait, and there's no need to start a thread about it.

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
No, what you said first was ridiculous. What's quoted above indicates you either lack the ability to understand what I wrote or find it easier to lie about it. It's zero help to tell someone 'if they can wait for the next, big feature, that you're guessing will be in the next model, then wait.' Wow, what insight.

I did not say buy a Mini just to have one.

What should be common sense isn't, given the number of threads started by people who ask strangers on the Internet, who have no more knowledge about upcoming devices than anyone else, despite their ability to toss around technical jargon.

What's the common sense?

1. If you need one now, buy it now
2. If you want one now, buy it now.
3. If neither 1 or 2 apply, wait, and there's no need to start a thread about it.

I didn't say that if he needed one now then don't buy it. I said that if he doesn't have an urgent need for one now then wait. That's only my opinion and that's what I would do. Are we assuming he is free to read our poster's suggestions and decide on his own or not? If he wanted to buy one now and didn't want other people to post their opinions then he never would have started a thread asking us whether he should wait for the Haswell Mini. He would have just bought a 2012 Mini without asking for anyone's opinion.

Obviously he's on the edge of wanting one but we don't know if he has an urgent need right now for one. If you read the majority of the rest of my post I also gave a number of reasons why he maybe shouldn't wait for the Haswell Minis. But at the same time I'm supposedly the ridiculous posting liar who lacks the ability to understand what another poster wrote about? ....Ok whatever...lol! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"And because you will make errors: just use the external SSD as main drive, don't fuse. It will be as fast. You can clone the system to your internal so you can boot from both drives in case of emergency"

I personally do as you recommend above. I don't really see the point of "fusion", so long as one is comfortable managing where one's files are supposed to go.

But the person who asked the question seemed interested in fusion, so, yes, I believe it is possible to create a fusion setup with an SSD external, if that's what one really wants...

PJM82

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2013
United Kingdom
"And because you will make errors: just use the external SSD as main drive, don't fuse. It will be as fast. You can clone the system to your internal so you can boot from both drives in case of emergency"

I personally do as you recommend above. I don't really see the point of "fusion", so long as one is comfortable managing where one's files are supposed to go.

But the person who asked the question seemed interested in fusion, so, yes, I believe it is possible to create a fusion setup with an SSD external, if that's what one really wants...

Those talking about upgrading future mac minis probably need to get that idea out of their heads. With the way the new iMacs and MacBook pros are, I would suspect the mini will get the same form over function hit very soon. The intel NUC models give an idea as to just how small and powerful things could be. With the push for the cloud for your main storage, a small ssd/integrated ram combo could be the way forward.

Still, with Haswell it could be a cool little steam box for the tv.

Rapsuperhase

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2013
Germany
@TC25 and @SoCalReviews
Please don't argue about this. It's not worth it. I read all of your comments and then I digest them.
The thing is I'm actually totally fine with the current Mac mini. It has a fast quad core and USB 3.0. These are things I want so much. But on the other side there is the possibility that something new might be around the corner and from then on the 2012 version is not the latest version anymore. I know I already said I'm fine with the current Mac Mini but .... I don't know. Ah! It's so difficult.
Thanks for your opinions anyway!

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Are you fine with Jan or Feb 2014? If waiting until then works wait. Expecting the new mini before Christmas is not realistic.
The Major reasons are :
1) the 2012 is pretty darn fast most users do not need a faster machine.
2) Try to find a desktop machine the same size as a 2012 mini with a cpu equal to the 2.3 quad core and a price under 900USD.

My point is waiting for a new machine that is not just around the corner can be a bit slower then you want. Waiting for a Haswell machine of any type to release makes some sense. That may be July. You may get an idea of you will get once a haswell of any type hits the market.

This comes out soon.

http://www.techshout.com/laptops/20...-price-in-us-around-1000-runs-on-haswell-cpu/

Last edited:

Rapsuperhase

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2013
Germany
Well, actually I could wait but I don't want anymore. I only have a MB Air from 2011 and I work with lots of large files so I really want USB 3 and a quad CPU.
My latest plan is to wait until June 10th and if they don't release an update I'll buy one anyway.

Rapsuperhase

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2013
Germany
... Another reason to wait is the Apple Back to School Sale starting in June. :D
or do they usually exclude the Mac Mini from this sale?

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
My latest plan is to wait until June 10th and if they don't release an update I'll buy one anyway.

I have the 2012 i7 quad 2.6GHz custom order. I have had a few minis in the past (and still do) including the i7 2.0Ghz 2011 quad. This 2.6 CPU is definitely a stand-out for me. I get sustained 3.30 to 3.40GHz Turbo Boost on the Intel Power Gadget app as well using ALL cores. Buy the 2.6 if you can afford the extra few dollars and you will be slightly more future proofed with the top of the line CPU.

Rapsuperhase

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2013
Germany
@opinio
Yeah, that CPU you were talking about is exactly the one I'd take. Damn, the decision to wait or not to wait is so difficult and no one is able to help me. :eek:
I should find something that distracts me until the WWDC :p

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
I wouldnt be surprised if a new mini wasn't released until January 2014. It would be in line with Apple's longer release dates for minis. (400+ days)

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
I wouldnt be surprised if a new mini wasn't released until January 2014. It would be in line with Apple's longer release dates for minis. (400+ days)

I agree. A Mac Mini release at WWDC is VERY unlikely to say the least. End of Q4 2013 or early Q1 2014 is more probable.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
I agree. A Mac Mini release at WWDC is VERY unlikely to say the least. End of Q4 2013 or early Q1 2014 is more probable.

I agree. The Mac Mini and iMac will get a bump to Haswell in Q3 or Q4.

The notebooks will be in the limelight for now.

Hopefully the Mac Pro falls into place between now and end of 2013.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.