Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Not looking good, whichever way you look at it! HTC and Sony now have true competitors, the iPhone always sells well year on year and Blackberry and Nokia / Microsoft are making inroads.

I think this is where Apples strength in depth, and their rock solid ecosystem will come shining through. Now if Apple decides to drop them as a supplier things could start to get even worse.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/samsung/10105633/Samsung-Galaxy-S4-sales-to-disappoint.html
Yep...Samsung is doomed......
/sarcasm

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/05/samsung-may-have-surpassed-apple-in-the-u-s-for-now/
Looks like CNN agrees...
http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/29/tech/mobile/samsung-spanking-apple

until the new iPhone is released.......

Last edited:

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
Not looking good, whichever way you look at it! HTC and Sony now have true competitors, the iPhone always sells well year on year and Blackberry and Nokia / Microsoft are making inroads.

I think this is where Apples strength in depth, and their rock solid ecosystem will come shining through. Now if Apple decides to drop them as a supplier things could start to get even worse.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/samsung/10105633/Samsung-Galaxy-S4-sales-to-disappoint.html

OMG. If it came from the Telegraph, it has to be true. Because they are never known for making up facts. Might as well cited your source as Tim Cook. Would have been about as accurate.
Funny thing is, I have read this exact same worded piece several times over the last year or so. Only, the word Apple was used in place of Samsung.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
OMG. If it came from the Telegraph, it has to be true. Because they are never known for making up facts. Might as well cited your source as Tim Cook. Would have been about as accurate.
Funny thing is, I have read this exact same worded piece several times over the last year or so. Only, the word Apple was used in place of Samsung.

How about checking the source before posting next time?

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Word has it, the entire Samsung Corporation will be shuttered by this Tuesday.

Grief counseling will not be available in the USA.

All Samsung smartphone users will be mandated to purchase iPhones within 72 hrs.

It's as simple & straightforward as that.

Oh, by the way I have a bridge for sale :)

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010

it's not from the telegraph...it's from Bloomberg learn to read. The telegraph picked up the story just like http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22809855 so try again with your down playing.

Last edited:

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada

I suggest you look at the content of the articles and also the dates.

The first article deals essentially with Samsung in the US and is current.

The second article is over a month old. Things change. The Telegraph article, like those from Reuters, Bloomberg et al, is current and deals with worldwide estimated sales etc.

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
Word has it, the entire Samsung Corporation will be shuttered by this Tuesday.

Grief counseling will not be available in the USA.

All Samsung smartphone users will be mandated to purchase iPhones within 72 hrs.

It's as simple & straightforward as that.

Oh, by the way I have a bridge for sale :)
Seems Samsung Fanboi denial is just as strong as Apple's
Who knew, I thought they were smarter, they sure post like it on these boards :apple:

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
I'm not so surprised by this as the GS4 is hardly a must-have upgrade from the GS3 especially if you are in a two-year contract and don't want to pay full price or are looking to buy but don't want to spend money for the GS4.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It's almost like this whole thing is based on feelings or something, and not cold hard facts.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Is that anyone in the market for that kind of Android phone already has an S3. And thanks to 24 month contracts, few of us are looking to upgrade this year :).
If you choose to label 24 month contracts "a problem" then it's common place no matter what brand of phone one buys.

No one is forcing me to sign a 24 month contract.

These contracts are optional, just like the ownership of a smartphone. Their are alternatives, that leave one contract free and able to enjoy the latest in top of the line smartphones. It all comes down to personal preference.

I choose to upgrade at every new model release. That fits with my preferences and enjoyment of the latest in smartphone technology.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I suggest you look at the content of the articles and also the dates.

The first article deals essentially with Samsung in the US and is current.

The second article is over a month old. Things change. The Telegraph article, like those from Reuters, Bloomberg et al, is current and deals with worldwide estimated sales etc.
yes...a month is a long time....all those Galaxy S4 sales would count then......
Doom and Gloom.....Samsung is doomed.......
Everyone likes to predict gloom for the front runners...
Samsung sells more phones than anyone except for Apple depending on which report you read...so haters like to be the first one to predict the downfall so they can say: "see i told you so" don't know why but it is phenomenon.
Like all the haters predicting all the doom and gloom for Apple. All the reports of stock falling.......investors suing them......
Haters will hate.........I always like to get balanced information when posting something as fact......

Last edited:

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
The best way way to judge sales of new devices is to look at used prices on CL or Ebay. I've seen GS4s selling in the high $400s. That's a pretty big drop in just over a month for a $600+ phone. Let's see what happens after WWDC if Apple disappoints.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Smartphones are at a saturation point in most parts of the first world countries.

In the USA. Carriers like ATT and Verizon and even Sprint all discontinued their "full subsidy" early 12 month upgrades (while in 2 year contract). They all discontinued that nice perk for their best customers back in 2011.

The high end smartphone market in the USA is totally driven by the subsidy system. Most don't buy on the black market like CL or eBay. They wait till they are eligible for full subsidies $199 2 year pricing.

Plus someone who had an S3 with a 720p display and 2GB RAM ( USA model) don't feel the need to upgrade even if one of their other lines is eligible.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
yes...a month is a long time....all those Galaxy S4 sales would count then......
Doom and Gloom.....Samsung is doomed.......
Everyone likes to predict gloom for the front runners...
Samsung sells more phones than anyone except for Apple depending on which report you read...so haters like to be the first one to predict the downfall so they can say: "see i told you so" don't know why but it is phenomenon.
Like all the haters predicting all the doom and gloom for Apple. All the reports of stock falling.......investors suing them......
Haters will hate.........I always like to get balanced information when posting something as fact......

I was simply pointing out that if you wish to rebut a report with another URL (within a week, for example) you should use current sources, not outdated ones.

I have been very even-handed in my sources if you care to review my posts. For example, I have cited in the last week of my posts both a negative HTC report and a positive one.

One suggestion. Cut down on the "haters" bit. It would appear to be more appropriate to be used in a nursery school sandbox environment. I know from your posts that you are not like that, but if someone were to glance at your post cited above, they may get the completely incorrect impression.

----------

Smartphones are at a saturation point in most parts of the first world countries.

In the USA. Carriers like ATT and Verizon and even Sprint all discontinued their "full subsidy" early 12 month upgrades (while in 2 year contract). They all discontinued that nice perk for their best customers back in 2011.

The high end smartphone market in the USA is totally driven by the subsidy system. Most don't buy on the black market like CL or eBay. They wait till they are eligible for full subsidies $199 2 year pricing.

Plus someone who had an S3 with a 720p display and 2GB RAM ( USA model) don't feel the need to upgrade even if one of their other lines is eligible.

I fully agree with your post. I said essentially the same thing in almost the identical thread in another forum here:

Deleted - In the same sub-forum as cited.

However, this sub-forum seems to ignite enormous passions. Any comment which may be deemed to be negative about one's favourite phone/brand would appear to be akin to besmirching the reputation of one's family/girlfriend/significant other.

Last edited:

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
And I see no point if the GS3 runs just as or even better then the GS4 minus some features. Now these phone companies are going to have to release useful must have features to get ppl to buy their phones. Bumping the specs isn't cutting anymore.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I was simply pointing out that if you wish to rebut a report with another URL (within a week, for example) you should use current sources, not outdated ones.

I have been very even-handed in my sources if you care to review my posts. For example, I have cited in the last week of my posts both a negative HTC report and a positive one.

One suggestion. Cut down on the "haters" bit. It would appear to be more appropriate to be used in a nursery school sandbox environment. I know from your posts that you are not like that, but if someone were to glance at your post cited above, they may get the completely incorrect impression.

I was purposely being over the top....the same way these so called analysts give an opinion about sales, supply chain concerns or just insert an reason...here________. They do this to manipulate stock prices and it works....very well. They have been doing this to Apple as the leader of the mobile space. In spite of reports of increased net profit....sales holding steady....even before a Apple product launch. It is stock price manipulation pure and simple......Now they are doing it to Samsung....

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Why is losing $12 billion of market cap such a big deal? How much has Apple lost since the stock went from $700 to $440's? $200+ billion.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Why is losing $12 billion of market cap such a big deal? How much has Apple lost since the stock went from $700 to $440's? $200+ billion.

It hardly is a big deal. However, Samsung seemed, in the short term at least, to be semi-impervious. Also, recall, this was over a period of 1 day, and would be equivalent to Apple losing over $42 billion in market capitalization in a day when it was at its peak. Apple's market cap decline was over a much longer period.

As has been reiterated by several people here, this may be indicative of saturation of the high-end smartphone market.

damitssam

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
GS4 was a pretty crappy update, lets be honest. Just like the 5S.

Only worthy looking phone to wait for is the Nokia EOS with its 41 Megapixel optical focus / shutter / xenon flash (same flash as P&S).

Seems like everyone else is content just launching incremental upgrades.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
GS4 was a pretty crappy update, lets be honest. Just like the 5S.

Only worthy looking phone to wait for is the Nokia EOS with its 41 Megapixel optical focus / shutter / xenon flash (same flash as P&S).

Seems like everyone else is content just launching incremental upgrades.

It really depends what one is looking for in a phone. For some of us, a camera in a cell phone is not a hugely critical matter and the Nokia EOS is hardly a radical update. The same thing was in the symbian Nokia 808 which came out over a year ago. For myself, for photos that I would want to blow up or print, a dslr is a far better solution for that.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
It hardly is a big deal. However, Samsung seemed, in the short term at least, to be semi-impervious. Also, recall, this was over a period of 1 day, and would be equivalent to Apple losing over $42 billion in market capitalization in a day when it was at its peak. Apple's market cap decline was over a much longer period.

As has been reiterated by several people here, this may be indicative of saturation of the high-end smartphone market.

Apple lost almost $60 billion in one day back in January.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.