Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
I love Photoshop, but is it just me, or is CS6 a slow dog running on a computer that can run CS5 just fine?

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
How does it compare with Pixelmator?

They're not similar programs. Lightroom and Aperture are comparable because they're both digital asset management and raw workflow programs.

Pixelmator is an image editor and would be more compared to something like Photoshop or Gimp.

Aperture is more about processing and cataloging the camera raw files from your memory card and adjusting white balance, sharpening, light retouching, etc.

I use Aperture, but since Apple has abandoned it i will move all my photo library to Lightroom. I was just wondering. Do i loose all the adjustments that i have made in my raw files if i will move the pictures to Lightroom?

Yes you would lose everything. They're different libraries so you would need to redo everything unless there is some magic way out there I haven't heard of that lets you convert them.

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003
This will be available via creative cloud exclusively right? What a shame.

Nope, it will be on shelves, and for download as a direct purchase.

Why? Because it actually has competition, unlike the rest of the Adobe suite. Adobe knows well enough that if they went with CC for Lightroom right now, everyone would dump it.

----------

The healing brush is ok, but not sure this is enough for an upgrade. Most of this they could have just put in 4 as an update.

But it's pretty good if you skilled LR4.. :D

nordicappeal

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
Will be nice to get updated to 5. But seriously Adobe you need to work on those videos? It for photographers ... we can be trendy and even girls! The video really aim for the tech-sawy-guys :)

Well will be great to get it....

AND CANT WAIT FOR WWDC - COMEON APPLE:)

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Check and mate, Apple. it's embarrassing that Aperture hasn't had a decent update while competitors are running circles around it.

We get it, iOS, iPads, iPhones, "Angry Birds", games, Facebook and Twitter are your bread and butter focus. Yet you once made great displays, powerful and current tech, and a great, stable OS. I'm not buying this post-PC era ****, try real work on a tablet. At most, they're entertainment devices and extensions for desktop systems. Market over-saturation and breaking into the Chinese market aren't doing well for that stock, and you lost the business/pro sect that supported you through your tough years. With Adobe releasing subscription apps, now's the time to get some of that market back, it adds up when businesses invest tens or hundreds of thousands at a time in upgrades.

Bring back the Mac!

Last edited:

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
And yet you still have to round trip to Photoshop* for actual layers functionality, protecting the Ps franchise.

* And all the baggage that requires.

Earthling7

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2013
This sounds great, but I'd rather stick with Aperture if possible. Here is hoping Apple has some nice tricks up their sleeve.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I like how you invented your own reality.

Apple hasn't produced a major update aside from RAW support and Facebook integration in a pro-App in a long time. Before anyone claims it helps Professional Photographers, it really doesn't. People "like" your page, and most of us are asked for "trades" or free shoots. The best business marketing is the old school way, word of mouth and [actual] advertising.

Facebook is a social network, you'd be better with LinkedIn, and that's not stating much.

----------

And yet you still have to round trip to Photoshop* for actual layers functionality, protecting the Ps franchise.

* And all the baggage that requires.

Adobe has a great professional photo editing suite, Aperture is a good conduit but lacks the features in Photoshop. Apple should either make Aperture more useful by adding full editing features or producing a pro photography editing app.

Last edited:

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
iRadio may be part of iOS 7, so that's different. There's an OS focus, not a creative app focus.

Same with iCloud and iTunes Match.

Please stop now.

They're both spot on. WWDC is for developers, at least, was until Apple began announcing consumer related "features". Apple used to hold special events for iTunes and iPod updates with bands such as U2 and Coldplay. Now they've just thrown it into WWDC, probably trying to get consumers interested in development. Still doesn't relate to those of us who develop.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
You're kidding, right? Caaaause, Apple hasn't produced an update aside from RAW support and Facebook integration... in a pro-App... Before anyone claims it helps Professional Photographers, no, it doesn't. People "like" your page, and most of us are asked for "trades" or free shoots. The best business marketing is the old school way, word of mouth and [actual] advertising.

Facebook is a social network, you'd be better with LinkedIn, and that's not stating much.

What more do you want? It holds/organizes all my photos and I can edit them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.