Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Does anybody understand this? :confused:

No, I didn't 'get' that one either. Simply put, some people think that they're superior because they don't use a specific software. More often than not it actually means that they can't work out how to use the software so would rather express that they are 'above such things'.

See also:
Film is better than digital
Nikon is better than canon (or visa versa)
Android is better than iOS
(car) is better than (car)
dogs are better than cats
I haven't been laid in years
and so on.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Remember when Apple used to make Aperture? There was a time people were discussing on which of the two programs are better. Now Aperture is not even contemplated and the few people that are still using it are transferring all their work to Lightroom. Apple's lack of news and updates has been a betrayal to their customers, which were never informed of Apple's intentions of doing nothing when they purchased the program, and also a betrayal to professional photographers.

I use Aperture. I'm not moving to Lightroom. Who are you?

gwest

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2004
Version Numbers

Check and mate, Apple. it's embarrassing that Aperture hasn't had a decent update while competitors are running circles around it.]

Lightroom 4 introduced features that were in Aperture's version 2- softproofing, books, maps, video...you're confusing version numbers with content. Aperture is a great program and has been upgraded continuously without adding version numbers and new bills for users.
If you're going to complain about it, list its deficits, not its version number. Comparing version numbers is nonsense.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
You've got to love how Adobe squeezes out this announcement right before WWDC. It's a good idea because otherwise they'd have to wait about ten days to two weeks because they'd get buried in the avalanche of Apple news from WWDC.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Been looking into buying a full version of Lightroom at some point. 5 looks good, probably will soon.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
Unless Apple updates Aperture soon I think a lot of us will be abandoning it for Lightroom as Adobe has been constantly improving it while Apple focuses on it's phones :)mad:).

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Looks nice - I'm regretting that I bought Aperature last year - didn't think apple would abandon it. Wish I'd gone with Lightroom instead.

Eolian

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
Apple just released Aperture 3.4.5 this week which shows they clearly haven't abandoned the product.

They're definitely working on Aperture 4. I doubt we'll see it tomorrow but I'd bet we see it before the end of 2013 ...

I'd venture that the release of a stability improvement (3.4.5) one week before WWDC is a bit of a surprise, and that it does suggest a new announcement today. We'll see.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Unless Apple updates Aperture soon I think a lot of us will be abandoning it for Lightroom as Adobe has been constantly improving it while Apple focuses on it's phones :)mad:).

…and then coming back when Adobe finishes transitioning to CC. Well done. Futile

Cancelled
Oct 19, 2011
If they manage to bring a boxed version, I'll maybe buy a copy. No CC and no download-only - wouldn't have bought CS6 as download-only either and CC does not make any sense for a self-employed semi-pro. Unsure if it's worth the upgrade from 4.
Call me old-fashioned, but at these price points I want a physical medium carrying what I bought, be it a DVD, flash drive or HD.

sportsnapper

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
UK
I use Aperture, but since Apple has abandoned it i will move all my photo library to Lightroom. I was just wondering. Do i loose all the adjustments that i have made in my raw files if i will move the pictures to Lightroom?

Depends if you can export those files from lightroom with XMP sidecar files? Don't know, and haven't got aperture anymore. If you can, then lightroom will import the raw files and use the xmp sidecars to apply develop settings to the Raw images.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Apple still lagging on Aperture. This is why people should be moving steadily to LR's solution.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Anyone know if Adobe offers a discount if we migrate from Aperture to Lightroom?
Nope. Neither Adobe or Apple honor you for loyalty or switching.

The only advantage Aperture has is the price but LR5 is so far ahead of Aperture.

In what way do you think LR is far ahead of Aperture? Serious question.

----------

Cool. Can't wait to grab it from CC tomorrow.

So many good things happening this week!

CC? Creative Cloud?

Last edited:

KayFisher

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2011
And still no Faces

I wish the lightroom developers would look over their shoulder at Elements and figure out how to do Faces:)

quasibinaer

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
Hannover, Germany
Whoa. That came out way faster than I thought it would. I just played around with it for a bit and like most improvements. I would love to be able to set individual timings for every picture in a slideshow, though. If that were the case, it would be a massively powerful tool to do multimedia slideshows a la MediaStorm. Most current solutions are either crap or ... crap. It can´t be hard, can it, Adobe?

About Aperture vs. Lightroom ... I´ve been on LR since the very first beta and it hasn´t put a foot wrong ever since. Whereas Aperture feels cumbersome and complicated to me. Plus, the RAW processing is only second to Capture1, which has a completely different target audience (think portrait/art/advertising/science crowd). In photojournalism, most professionals either use Photomechanic, Photoshop, Lightroom or a combination of two of them. PM has quite a few powerful tools for metadata and thus many agency shooters rely on that and PS for simple retouching/cropping. If you don´t need that super-special metadata stuff, LR is the way to go.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Lightroom 4 introduced features that were in Aperture's version 2- softproofing, books, maps, video...you're confusing version numbers with content. Aperture is a great program and has been upgraded continuously without adding version numbers and new bills for users.
If you're going to complain about it, list its deficits, not its version number. Comparing version numbers is nonsense.

Um, actually, I did.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Call me old-fashioned, but at these price points I want a physical medium carrying what I bought, be it a DVD, flash drive or HD.

However you want to label yourself you best get use to download-only software. It's the future. No wait, it's the here and now. If you really want it on physical media d/l and burn it to optical or flash drive. Problem solved and one less box in the world that eventually has to be recycled or end up in a landfill.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.