Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djuarez03

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2008
At least in a subliminal way? I mean, I know they didn't outright take direct jabs at him by name, but the way they bashed the old aesthetics of iOS were, I thought, pretty direct jabs at Forstall's design aesthetics. I found it quite funny, but I thought it was a little un-like Apple to take jabs at an old executive like that. Still, I think some people were probably more surprised at seeing Windows 8 in an Apple Keynote. :p

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
The jabs, IMO, were well-deserved. While I'm not that much a fan of the gizmos and gimmicks shown in IOS 7 that I think are setting precedents in another extreme (no thanks, I really could do without Android-esque animated weather icons and the perpetual Ken Burns effect on my wallpaper images) the level of skeuemorphism in iOS 6 was really bad, and it's time to shed that stuff.

Forstall, even worse, was unapologetic for all of it. So, if if he was that way going out the door, then he kinda deserves this extra kick in the pants.

I just hope Apple moves on from it. And hopefully doesn't take this new direction to an even worse level. Right now, it's just barely not-obnoxious, so I'm still looking forward to the update.

If that moving background kills my battery life though, I'm gonna howl.

As for Windows 8: it shows that the web-based apps are cross-platform, which I think is useful and should be demonstrated. Windows 8 is no prize, but for people still using Windows 7, it'll be nice to collaborate with them.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
At least in a subliminal way? I mean, I know they didn't outright take direct jabs at him by name, but the way they bashed the old aesthetics of iOS were, I thought, pretty direct jabs at Forstall's design aesthetics. I found it quite funny, but I thought it was a little un-like Apple to take jabs at an old executive like that. Still, I think some people were probably more surprised at seeing Windows 8 in an Apple Keynote. :p

When they fail he can have the last laugh.

He will be remembered for great IOS's previous and this IOS7 will finish off sales and Apple will slip back to the dark ages.

Microsoft will win despite churning out crap themselves.

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
To anyone who knows the drama behind him leaving, it was pretty obvious they were mocking Forstall with a lot of the comments.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
The skeumorphism was fine for most people for a while. But people grew tired of it. Yet Forstall pushed it farther rather than changing (Find My Friends being the worst example). Then he acted like a dick about it. So yeah he got what he deserved.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Anyone else surprised how much they bashed Scott Forstall?

You are reading WAAAAAaaaayyyy too much into it.

Remember skeuomorphism was something Steve Jobs supported too, are you saying the new Apple is bashing the venerable founder?

I read the new team finally gets to do that they wanted, nothing more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.