Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
I had TetherMe on my 6.1 iPhone 5, and now that I'm on iOS 7, tethering still works. Just thought I'd share :)

Could you tell us a little more like which carrier you have and how this might have worked? That is one of the things I refuse to lose. I paid for tethering for so long and now use tetherme. Would be great to go to ios 7 if I could still tether.

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
Stock iOS can tether. You have to pay your carrier for the privilege though.

Don't take it the wrong way, but we certainly do know that. He used tetherme on a jailbroken phone and then upgraded and can still tether without jailbreak. Now he either has a plan with tethering included or something happened that kept tethering unlocked.

Last edited:

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
Could you tell us a little more like which carrier you have and how this might have worked? That is one of the things I refuse to lose. I paid for tethering for so long and now use tetherme. Would be great to go to ios 7 if I could still tether.

It kept the settings that TetherMe used to hide the tethering. I've used it extensively and haven't gotten a message from sprint yet. I'm so far assuming they don't know.

As for how I did it, I just had TetherMe, and then restored to iOS 7.

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
It kept the settings that TetherMe used to hide the tethering. I've used it extensively and haven't gotten a message from sprint yet. I'm so far assuming they don't know.

Would be curious if this will work with Verizon as I'm on the old nationwide plan and tethering is not included. May wait for more people who try this.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
I used MyWi and didn't want to pay $5 for a trick that may not work so I use a cracked version of TetherMe and that didn't work for me.

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
I used MyWi and didn't want to pay $5 for a trick that may not work so I use a cracked version of TetherMe and that didn't work for me.

I'm using the cracked version of tetherme just fine. MyWi has too many issues whereas tetherme just activates the stock tethering.

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
TetherMe to iOS 7

When I said didn't work I meant when I upgraded to iOS 7 (the tethering setting was reset to default settings)

Yeah I definitely didn't gather that from your post. Thought you were just speaking in general.

So it looks like that was just a fluke for him. I didn't think it was really possible for settings to carry over like that.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009

Also to consider, sometimes betas have all these functions open. So ask someone that doesn't have tether me if in iOS 7 they can tether. Also, you prob did the update to iOS7 and not restore which would also explain why your settings stayed. Hell, even restoring from backup could cause tether to stay on ;)

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
Also to consider, sometimes betas have all these functions open. So ask someone that doesn't have tether me if in iOS 7 they can tether. Also, you prob did the update to iOS7 and not restore which would also explain why your settings stayed. Hell, even restoring from backup could cause tether to stay on ;)

I restored, not updated.

Also no duh a backup would cause it to come back, as it recognizes you have settings for the default tether built in. I think tetherme writes settings that enable it in the part of the file system that gets backed up by iCloud, thus it carried over into iOS 7.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I restored, not updated.

Also no duh a backup would cause it to come back, as it recognizes you have settings for the default tether built in. I think tetherme writes settings that enable it in the part of the file system that gets backed up by iCloud, thus it carried over into iOS 7.

So Mr. duh; did you or did you not use a back up then? Also, it doesn't recognize it, but backups overwrite certain things.

Jimmy Guphanti

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
I know this is old, but I just tried the same thing, also on Sprint, and it works, but when I go to turn on the hotspot, the Personal Hotspot preference pane quickly deletes itself from the settings app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.