Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
amazon, samsung, chinese android.

No, they are compatible

it seems that you don't understand how market works, either android or linux. They both don't work :)

You must be joking

the whole existence of android. without samsung its just a niche software for use of which you have to pay royalties to Microsoft.

You seem to ignore that Samsung is just a fraction of Android devices sold, not even the majority.

you are very naive if you think people will not change to S services if nothing of G is available - that about such scenario (learn to read, btw).

You're very naive if people will buy Samsung, they will change to other vendor.

----------

How about FIVE more phones? :D

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/0...campaign-lowers-prices-of-all-android-phones/

Promotions like this happen all the time with android. Another recent one was Verizon offering bogo on the droid razr maxx.

While it's not a constant thing, it definitely does happen.

Yes, it happens, but not always and mostly on USA carriers, and tied to contracts for any of those "free" smartphones.

So it is hardly a fact that Android numbers are high because BOGO as a lot of people on this forum say

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013
Yes, it happens, but not always and mostly on USA carriers, and tied to contracts for any of those "free" smartphones.

So it is hardly a fact that Android numbers are high because BOGO as a lot of people on this forum say

Yah it doesnt matter if its USA carriers or not, that is irrelevant, nor does being tied to contracts matter. Those free smartphones add to the android numbers. Obviously, carriers are not going to just give you 5 free phones without a contract. I'm not saying Android numbers are high simply because of BOGO, obviously that's not true, but I was just answering your questions where you said show you where it happens.

It happens often with Android.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
No, they are compatible
For now. As I said, learn to read. What I wrote is that they will go incompatible. Takes some time, so don't worry for tomorrow. Linux didn't disintegrate in one year.

You must be joking
No, I am not. Android is bringing royalty revenue only to MS. Maybe it was designed by Google to be like from beginning?

You seem to ignore that Samsung is just a fraction of Android devices sold, not even the majority.
Only one that matters in smartphones and only one who managed to get some profits from Android. Motorola got bought, HTC in free fall, Sony Ericcson no longer exists, LG in red. Great work from Android buddies. Who else? Ah, Chinese copycats like meizu or Xuawei, maybe you heard about them. Or another great brands for Android like Xunrui Communications http://www.technologyreview.com/news/511796/heres-where-they-make-chinas-cheap-android-smartphones/! You know, cheapskates like cheapskates. Thats why only cheapskates buy them. These Chinese cheap brands somehow love Android! Match made in heaven.

In tablets, no one from Android matters at all. Ugh, Amazon fires maybe, I forgot, you know, cheap things for christmas trees? with ads.

You're very naive if people will buy Samsung, they will change to other vendor.
You are very very naive if you think that people can't use S services. Give it time for Samsung to steal enough ideas from G services and at some time, they will become similar. Samsung is very very experienced in that :). Compared with Samsung, google is a tiny one trick pony which can only make search and dissipate freeware reporting private information back to google. FYI, a year ago no one heard about Apple maps. Even though they are as good as Google, already a lot of people use Apple maps and they are becoming better.

Last edited:

youdidntreadit

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2013
How about FIVE more phones? :D

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/0...campaign-lowers-prices-of-all-android-phones/

Promotions like this happen all the time with android. Another recent one was Verizon offering bogo on the droid razr maxx.

While it's not a constant thing, it definitely does happen.

It happens all the time everywhere. It is in fact a constant thing.

You can go into any AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint or Verizon shop and do almost the same thing. Just open a 2-year family plan with 5 lines. Pay $100 for the first iPhone 4s and get four iPhone 4 for free. It is no different from the US Cellular offer you linked.

It doesn't even have to be yesterdays iPhone or Android either, you can do it with Windows 8 phones and blackberry too.

<sarcasm>
Apple must be losing money giving away iPhones for free just to pad their market share numbers.
</sarcasm>

Last edited:

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013
It happens all the time everywhere. It is in fact a constant thing.

You can go into any AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint or Verizon shop and do almost the same thing. Just open a 2-year family plan with 5 lines. Pay $100 for the first iPhone 4s and get four iPhone 4 for free. It is no different from the US Cellular offer you linked.

It doesn't even have to be yesterdays iPhone or Android either, you can do it with Windows 8 phones and blackberry too.

<sarcasm>
Apple must be losing money giving away iPhones for free just to pad their market share numbers.
</sarcasm>

i dont get it.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
These statistics are a little surprising. In my part of the country, I usually see people with an iPhone. A few of my friends that had iPhones but dropped and broke them went on to get a Samsung only because they were cheaper. But still, mostly i see iPhones.

In Canada, a lot of people have moved on from the iPhone - seems the number of Android users is growing significantly, most are ex-iPhone users too.

----------

Software should be the reason why people stay away from Samsung.

Where is Swype on iOS? That is one of my biggest grips - iOS's keyboard is antiquated.

----------

Imagine, iPhone 5 at $200, iPhone 4S at free on contract, and iPhone 4 at $250 off contract for prepaid. There would be no competition.

I don't know - sure they'll sell someone more, but the larger Galaxy/Note screen is very tempting too.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
It's not really the brightness I object to at all. What you're talking about is saturation, and yes the Samsung screens look over-saturated to me. They're downright garish.

But it's more than that. They have a district cold green color-cast that is not subjective at all — it's simply inaccurate.

P.S. I got a Ph.D. in materials science & engineering, research area: photonic crystals. I have stared at enough color spectrums to know a bad one when I see it. I imagine many others are also sensitive to this effect, particularly people in art and design (or really anyone who has a moderately discerning eye)

IMO the people buying Samsung phones for the look of the screen are for the people who go to Best Buy and pick out the most unbalanced but bright TV they can find, and then leave it in store "demo" mode when they watch it at home. Hey, it's not color-accurate at all, but damn it's BRIGHT! :D

(No offense intended to anyone who does that. Beg pardon in advance.)

I'm with you

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Yeah this was the point I was making earlier. We get it, there are a bunch of cheap android phones out there and a bunch of expensive android phones out there and all of them combined outsell the iPhone.

But like you said it's a hollow headline because after that fact, which we've heard over and over again, the story ends. That's it, android has market share and apple controls the industry in every other way.

Contrary to what strangely appears to be popular belief, companies that are not making money don't really care about market share.

Samsung and apple are the leaders of the industry in terms of earnings. The market share of neither matters one bit.

It's true that the market share thing isn't a serious problem to Apple at present, but if Apple doesn't do anything to alter the trend, by the time Android's market share goes beyond 85%, the market share thing will sure cause the developer support problem and all of the consecutive consequences afterwards. And, if Apple wait till that happens, there will be nothing Apple could do to save its ass by then.

afs_nj

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2001
CT
World vs US

These statistics are a little surprising. In my part of the country, I usually see people with an iPhone. A few of my friends that had iPhones but dropped and broke them went on to get a Samsung only because they were cheaper. But still, mostly i see iPhones.

Would not be surprised if I never see the new blackberry.

B

Which country? US?

The landscape for smartphones is VERY different in the US as compared to the world share the article is quoting. All iPhone models dominate the market in the US.

sneaky butcher

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
Which country? US?

The landscape for smartphones is VERY different in the US as compared to the world share the article is quoting. All iPhone models dominate the market in the US.

amazing that dudes implying the worldwide stats are wrong beacuse of what he sees in his office lol

SeniorGato1

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Software should be the reason why people stay away from Samsung.

Software's the reason why I switched to Samsung and the LG Nexus 4

----------

Apple won't make a bigger iPhone due to cannibalization of the iPad.

This is what the ipad mini is doing to the iPad, hence lower profitability.

People will eventually figure out there are better options out there to suit their taste.

TheOtherSteve

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2009
iPhone screen size makes me sad

I have used the iPhones up until the latest generations and I just need a bigger screen. Why? I hate surfing the net with such a small screen (sometimes you also need a bit of girth). iOS is still my favourite mobile OS, but I need a bigger screen to be able to fully appreciate all those non-phone related features (that is my case and point and no amount of counter arguing from anyone - about ergonomics and "what I really want" is gonna change my mind).
I have officially decided to jump ship to the likes of the Nokia Lumia line (I am done with Android lines) until a decent size model is released by Apple.
Sometimes the plebs need to be heard, they could continue with the "thinner" models for all those who appreciate them - but there is whole bunch of Cinderellas out there just waiting for the iPhone that fits.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
I agree with you, the 5's extra 1/2" also does nothing for me, it will take a 4.5" screen for me go go back to iphone.

Do you honestly think 3.5 being too small for some people is a fad? I have big hands and fingers and need something larger, period. Not to mention being able to see it. My wife also prefers in the 4.5 range, she also jumped ship from iphone. Fad has nothing to do with it, ease of seeing and using does. I would love to have a 4.5" iphone, I would be there immediately.

On the other hand a 3.5 is perfect for our 10 year old.

The point is that I do not get why some iphone users think everyone else is just clones of them, people are different. Period.

If you really accept that people are different then pandering to your demands for it having a larger screen because it suits you personally is self-defeating nonsense.

It's become a large smartphone.

As large as it needs to be before it's in the category other companies are happy to cater for which is the too small to be a tablet/too big to be either pocket sized or usable for a lot of people using only 1 hand category.

Last edited:

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
If you really accept that people are different then pandering to your demands for it having a larger screen because it suits you personally is self-defeating nonsense.

What a load of BS. Pandering to my personal needs? Wake up, there's a huge market for large phones and that's not pandering, it's just plain smart. Having one size phone reminds me of when I was in the philippines years ago (many times) and they had one bra size. Not everyone is the same size and to call the idea of making phones that fit more than just the ones with child hands "pandering" is REALLY nonsense.

But you know what's best for everyone, right?

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
What a load of BS. Pandering to my personal needs? Wake up, there's a huge market for large phones and that's not pandering, it's just plain smart. Having one size phone reminds me of when I was in the philippines years ago (many times) and they had one bra size. Not everyone is the same size and to call the idea of making phones that fit more than just the ones with child hands "pandering" is REALLY nonsense.

But you know what's best for everyone, right?

Apple do in the case of screensize. You don't. It's just suits your personal preferences or it's not right. No compromise, which is what they have done, just what suits you and nothing else.

If they made the next one even thinner still and had a true edge to edge screen then going slightly larger without increasing the overall volume of the phone might work but those huge beasts from Samsung are almost comical.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Apple do in the case of screensize. You don't. It's just suits your personal preferences or it's not right. No compromise, which is what they have done, just what suits you and nothing else.

If they made the next one even thinner still and had a true edge to edge screen then going slightly larger without increasing the overall volume of the phone might work but those huge beasts from Samsung are almost comical.

You are losing it, Apple knows what is the right size for me??? You think everyone's hand's, fingers and needs are the same???? I'm a strong believer in choices, one size does not fit all. I'm not sure why you are pulling this BS out of your backside. I think Apple should make different sizes for different people. If they make a 5" phone in a few years and abandon the smaller sizes will you STILL be saying they know what size is best??? They went from 3.5 to 4, who says they will stop there? I doubt they will over the next few years.

Not everyone has child hands, get over it. People are not clones of you.

----------

[/COLOR]
Saw this new Samsung TV ad last night, it's well done.

If they keep this up & Apple keeps its tiny display, Samsung is really going to succeed. Their market share is just getting larger & larger.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/05/0...hey-have-too-much-money-to-spend-on-marketing

I agree with you, if apple stays with the tiny hands segment they will miss out on the rest. I have a 10 year old that's very happy with a 3.5" iphone 4 though.

I think they need to go with 3.5 for the little hands and 4.5 for those of us that have trouble on 3.5 screens with big fingers. I have no idea why some, like the guy I replied to above, seems to think everyone has tiny hands and fingers. Some people drive tiny cars, I cannot fit into one. I like mini cooper's, but will never be able to own one. Not everyone is the same size.

Last edited:

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
You are losing it, Apple knows what is the right size for me??? You think everyone's hand's, fingers and needs are the same???? I'm a strong believer in choices, one size does not fit all. I'm not sure why you are pulling this BS out of your backside. I think Apple should make different sizes for different people. If they make a 5" phone in a few years and abandon the smaller sizes will you STILL be saying they know what size is best??? They went from 3.5 to 4, who says they will stop there? I doubt they will over the next few years.

Not everyone has child hands, get over it. People are not clones of you.

Not everyone has YOUR hands, get over YOURSELF. People are not clones of YOU :rolleyes:

What's stopping them having 2 models like the iPad or adjusting the overall volume of the device? An edge to edge screen and a few less mm of thickness and it could have a 4.5" screen and be almost the same size as the current model. The iPhone 5 is barely bigger than the 3GS I replaced with it but the extra width and height is still noticable when using it with 1 hand in some apps.

Last edited:

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
So a cheap smartphone isn't a smartphone?

Apple make one phone, that one phone runs iOS, no cheaper model or other brand of phone runs iOS so that means marketshare based on phones running iOS and market share based on phones running Android or Windows Mobile can come in a multitude of specs and prices and all those cheap phones that are on the market now add up to more users based on the OS used.

It's the same principal that made windows so popular, cost alone.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Not everyone has YOUR hands, get over YOURSELF. People are not clones of YOU :rolleyes:

I have clearly said all along that multiple models, choice, is the way to go. NOWHERE have I said apple needs to ONLY make a large phone, there is DEFINITELY a market for larger phones and I am part of it. That is not pandering.

Just like they are missing out here, mexico, by having a phone that sells for 883.00 us. Even the iphone 4 sells for 508.00 us.

Some hate the idea of either larger or cheaper versions of the iphone, but the whole world is not filled with norteamericanos with tiny hands and piles of money.

I have never had a leather chair, I don't think they are as comfortable.

I think a closer analogy would be a 6 cylinder car (honda accord) with performance standard transmission, cloth seats and plastic trim (android) vs a 4 cylinder, automatic, wood trim, leather (iphone).

Last edited:

afs_nj

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2001
CT
amazing that dudes implying the worldwide stats are wrong beacuse of what he sees in his office lol

I didn't say any such thing. I'm saying certain factions love to highlight the stats from other countries. This give the impression to MANY US readers that this this must be the case here in the US, where the opposite is true.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.