Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

jobs_movie_logo-150x150.jpg
The Wrap reports that Ashton Kutcher's film "Jobs" will now debut on August 16 in the United States. The film, which premiered at the Sundance Music Festival in late January to mixed reviews, had been scheduled for an April 19 wide release, but was delayed.
Five Star Institute's Mark Hulme financed and produced the movie, which Open Road acquired in a service release deal prior to this year's Sundance Film Festival, where "Jobs" was the closing night film. Both sides decided to wait and create proper buzz before releasing "Jobs" rather than rush the movie out so soon after Sundance.

By opening after most summer blockbusters (Sony's "Elysium" is the last major title on Aug. 9) rather than mid-April, "Jobs" now stands a better chance to succeed and distinguish itself in the marketplace.
"Jobs", which stars Ashton Kutcher as Steve Jobs and Josh Gad as Steve Wozniak, is one of several Jobs-related films in the works or already released. Back in April, rumor site Funny or Die released a rather poorly received "iSteve" comedy film starring Justin Long, who had played the "Mac" character in Apple's long-running "Mac vs. PC" ad campaign.

A third film is being written by Aaron Sorkin and is the official adaptation of Jobs' authorized biography by Walter Isaacson. The film, which is still in the early stages of development, is planned to encompass three 30-minute scenes showing Jobs backstage just prior to the launches of the original Mac, NeXT, and the iPod.

Article Link: Ashton Kutcher's 'Jobs' Film to Launch on August 16

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Whether these films are done with well intention or not, I'll be glad when these films are finally released and people can stop monetizing Steve's death.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Already forgot about this movie. The longer they delay, the little I have interest with this.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
I don't know why, but I will prob watch this film; oddly compelled perhaps.

Waiting for Aaron really tho.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
Replace the word "Film" with "Abortive attempt at cinema," and you'd be a bit closer to the mark.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
It will be difficult to watch, but the world needs to know who Steve Jobs really is... That monster! :mad:

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
As long as the film producers put a good amount of effort into it I'll go see it. Jobs remains a fascinating figure. I don't think there will be a documentary or movie about him I won't be able to avoid watching.

ElTorro

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
Kutcher would be more suited to play a village idiot than one of the most charismatic public figure of recent times.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Whether these films are done with well intention or not, I'll be glad when these films are finally released and people can stop monetizing Steve's death.

You realize this will never stop. Look at history and people that had a big influence, people never stop talking about them and creating shows or monetizing on what they did.

I see nothing wrong with this and rather enjoy different perspectives on someones life. Not a big history person, but I enjoy watching shows on how things were created and changed by people.

swatts1012

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
Kutcher

Ashton Kutcher should not be put in a role like this, ever! His voice is so goofy sounding, he just cannot be taken seriously in a real role like this. Noah Wyle's rendition of Steve Jobs in the 99' made for TV movie, "Pirates of Silicone Valley", was more compelling, and...that is not saying much.

lzyprson

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
Honestly this movie is a joke... Why Ashton Kutcher and Co. were in such a rush to make this movie is beyond me. Sony pictures bought the rights to the jobs biography right when it came out and they've been talking about Aaron Sorkin writing the screenplay ever since.

Seriously... Who is going to make a better movie: Ashton Kutcher or Aaron Sorkin??

Thats a no brainer...

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
You realize this will never stop. Look at history and people that had a big influence, people never stop talking about them and creating shows or monetizing on what they did.

I see nothing wrong with this and rather enjoy different perspectives on someones life. Not a big history person, but I enjoy watching shows on how things were created and changed by people.

I enjoy learning about Steve's life and will probably watch both movies but it just seemed like a race to see who could get a movie about him released. I'm sure within the next 15 years, we'll see many more films, documentaries, and books about him. But by then it won't be seen as such a money grab.

And at the same time I understand that if they didn't release their version soon, the audience wouldn't be nearly as large. I just hope they did their research and stayed reasonable when they start to adapt the story to film.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Still wish Noah Wyle got the part instead of Kutcher. Long live Pirates of Silicon Valley :cool:

brookshanes

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2011
Midwest
waaa

This doesn't even make sense. It's like saying I wish the Beatles albums were never sold again because we're monetizing Lennon's death.

The most influential people always get bigger when they die, because they can no longer make any mistakes, and we are supposed to only remember them for the good they did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.