Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has posted a new entry in its branding campaign, this time a ten-minute piece entitled 'Making a difference. One app at a time.'

The video looks at how Apple customers are using its technology and third-party apps to make a difference in communities around the world. The first example features an interview with Okari Denzil, a community health nurse in Lwala, Kenya.

I've never considered myself a visitor to this community. I'm a son of this community, I work here, this is my home. I have the opportunity as a community health nurse to ensure that there is health care available to this very rural setting. This is my goal.

I try to see 5-6 clients a day. Talking about those mothers who need prenatal care, mothers who are ready to deliver, mothers who have young babies at home.

We sit down with them and talk about how to ensure that we give the babies the best start in life. I also have an opportunity to ensure that the wellbeing of the entire family is taken care of.

We use Skyscape to diagnose and prevent any complications from setting in. The iPad is a resourceful tool. It's a doctor, it's a nurse, it's a public health officer in my bag.
Apps featured in the video include Skyscape Medical Resources, Orthocare's Galileo, Thornton Media's Cherokee Language App, and AssistiveWare's Proloquo2go.

Article Link: Apple Posts Ten-Minute 'Making a Difference, One App at a Time' Video

SongEmu

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
MMW, there's obviously some stock footage and staged shots. That's almost a prerequisite in any large scale production.

I enjoyed it. If only Apple did more of this, and less litigation...

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Lovely advert. Especially the language/verbal one was extremely moving and humbling. I'm definitely enjoying the new direction Apple are going with both their products and adverts. Not ashamed to say I'm a little misty-eyed at the moment. :eek:

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
A nice moving video that makes you realize how big of an impact in someone's life technology can have. Also kinda surprised to see my hometown in NJ was one of the places they visited.

brownpaw

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Strangely enough, I really liked the background music that was playing. Shazam didn't return any results. Any ideas?

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Apple should consider switching from hardware/software manufacturing to advertising. The most recent movie clips/commercials have all been very good.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
I don't think the movie crew used Apple Maps to find these people though.

andrew78

macrumors member
May 4, 2013
The world is changing quickly

Remember how only a couple years ago it was unheard of to give a smartphone to kids? Now it's commonplace.
Remember how in 2010 a souped up ipad 1st gen cost $800+? Now they sell used for under $200.
The technology we call advanced today will in 5 years be considered cheap and common. Within 10 years it will be commonplace for virtually every human being to be carrying around some type of personal computer.
Those who are now poor will become powerful and influential.
It's pretty exciting.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
Apple is smart to release this during WWDC. It's a very nice reminder that while they've returned $10B to developers through the app store that many of developer apps have profound even life-changing abilities. This is fuel for developers (and people who want to be developers) pure and simple!. :D

Nice Apple, very nice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.