Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chewy48

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Hey everyone! Well here's my situation. Yesterday I was bored and I was playing with my iPhone 5. My iPhone has always had this problem where the screen is loose when you press it. So yesterday I had time to spare and I decided to see if I could fix it by opening it up. By the way I also have experience with iPhones I've done a lot harder things like installing led mods on iPhones and replacing screens on iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S. Anyway I just decided to take the screen of which was 1000x easier than the iPhone 4 and I also disconnected the battery and took off those 2 black little flex cables located under the emi shield and battery shield. I then put everything back together which I thought was no problem but apparently something must of went wrong. After I put everything back together I tried turning my iPhone on and it wouldn't turn on! I was freaking out and I took it apart again and double checked that all the cables were connected and they were. It then came to me that maybe the power button isn't working so I plugged in the charger and what do you know! It turned on! I was relieved but still confused as to why the power button wasn't working. When my iPhone got to the home screen I unlocked it and that's when I noticed that my home button wasn't working too! I was and still am pissed haha. I tried recalibrating the home button with assistive touch but that still didn't work. So my last resort was restoring and losing my jailbreak because I thought that maybe it's a software error. But after a restore I had the same problem so I now know its something hardware related. Can someone please help me find out what the problem is. It's annoying having to plug my phone into the charger just to turn the screen on! I know that the home button has contact with the gold contacts so its probably not that. I was thinking that maybe the oil from my hands possibly got onto some components possibly those 2 flex cables I mentioned above but then again I don't know if those have anything to do with the power button or home button at all. I was also thinking about taking out the logic board and cleaning it with alcohol but I don't know if that would do anything because I don't see any corrosion. So anyways I would really appreciate it if someone can help me find out what the problem is! Please give me your input and stuff thanks!

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Yep. This is an insanely common problem after disassembling the iPhone 5. You most likely knocked off a capacitor near the edge (this is what usually causes the buttons to fail)

hockeyman94

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2012
California
Thanks for the quick reply And can I fix it or am I screwed?

I would take it to apple and see if you get lucky make sure that everything is in the right place, no fingerprints (especially on the LCD shield[back of the screen]) say it just slowly stopped working might get lucky & get it replaced.

chewy48

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Ok thanks and I don't have a warranty. Do you think they would still give me a replacement my iPhone looks really good?

hockeyman94

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2012
California
Ok thanks and I don't have a warranty. Do you think they would still give me a replacement my iPhone looks really good?

You have a 1 year warranty when you buy the iPhone that covers manufacture defects. So if everything is clean inside & out they should give you another one just say it stopped working thats it.

chewy48

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Ok I'll try that and btw I'm in Ecuador for a few months so will that matter? Like will I need a receipt or something

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Another reason I never crack open an iPhone anymore, there are too many little connectors and things that can go wrong :(

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I would take it to apple and see if you get lucky make sure that everything is in the right place, no fingerprints (especially on the LCD shield[back of the screen]) say it just slowly stopped working might get lucky & get it replaced.

Or don't lie and just pay for your mistake. Jesus, people wonder why Apple has cracked down so much on service....

chewy48

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Or don't lie and just pay for your mistake. Jesus, people wonder why Apple has cracked down so much on service....

I don't have time for douchbags like you and first of all this would have never happened if APPLE didn't give me a phone with a loose screen

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
For what it's worth, if you knew the phone had a loose screen and was defective, you should have brought it to apple for replacement since it has a one year manufacturers warranty. Since you took it upon yourself to fix it and made it worse, you probably shot yourself in the foot. I commend you on your efforts to repair it yourself, however you compounded the issue and are now blaming it on apple. I don't care if you bring it back to them and they replace it, I would do the same. However, I wouldn't point the finger at them and try to make it sound like you broke the phone for attempting to fix something you shouldn't have, knowing it would lead to possibly worse consequences.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
For what it's worth, if you knew the phone had a loose screen and was defective, you should have brought it to apple for replacement since it has a one year manufacturers warranty. Since you took it upon yourself to fix it and made it worse, you probably shot yourself in the foot. I commend you on your efforts to repair it yourself, however you compounded the issue and are now blaming it on apple. I don't care if you bring it back to them and they replace it, I would do the same. However, I wouldn't point the finger at them and try to make it sound like you broke the phone for attempting to fix something you shouldn't have, knowing it would lead to possibly worse consequences.

Well said.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

jer04

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
Townsville, Australia
just out of curiosity,

if he said he opened it up and tried to fix the phone himself, would apple sell him an out-of-warranty replacement?

i think i saw a post a while ago about apple wouldn't let you pay $200 to get a replacement if the phone had been opened up. not sure whether it's true.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Really! He is just asking for help.

And just preforming fraud :rolleyes:
just out of curiosity,

if he said he opened it up and tried to fix the phone himself, would apple sell him an out-of-warranty replacement?

i think i saw a post a while ago about apple wouldn't let you pay $200 to get a replacement if the phone had been opened up. not sure whether it's true.

Completely untrue. Given phones baths and had amateurs ruin them during exploring inside... they'll let you buy an OOW as long as you have the phone.

chewy48

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
And just preforming fraud :rolleyes:

Completely untrue. Given phones baths and had amateurs ruin them during exploring inside... they'll let you buy an OOW as long as you have the phone.

Thanks everyone for trying to help! And to those who commented on this just to be annoying find something Better to do with your lives. I'm aware it's my fault that the home and power button aren't working I accept that. But just because I made a mistake and like to do things myself unlike most of America now a days I get criticized for it hahah. Good luck to you guys in the real world when someone's not there to do something for you.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Thanks everyone for trying to help! And to those who commented on this just to be annoying find something Better to do with your lives. I'm aware it's my fault that the home and power button aren't working I accept that. But just because I made a mistake and like to do things myself unlike most of America now a days I get criticized for it hahah. Good luck to you guys in the real world when someone's not there to do something for you.

Wasn't trying to come across as criticizing you for taking things into your own hands. I applaud that kinda of action in fact, sorry for appearing otherwise.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012

Opening your iPhone up, whether it's me or anyone else, is probably a bad idea. I guess you took some kind of twisted initiative, and now you'll pay for it. In the future just call Apple or go make a Genius Bar appointment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.