Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hismikeness

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2009
For all we know

It could just be the technicians hired to care for the robots. Maybe a dozen (12) or two to build the, what, million units Apple might sell?

Either way, better in America I guess.

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
I have to wonder why there are no design similarities between the new pro and the new AirPort Extreme and AirPort Time Capsule?
Putting them side by side you'd think they were designed by 2 different companies.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
It's good they are moving some jobs to the US. Just wonder if there is something about the Mac Pro that makes it more suitable for moving production to the US than their other models.

I'm guessing the low volume :(

scotsrule08

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
ohhh my gurd

:apple: That would be AWESOME if they made the mac pro here in fort worth! :) i think i almost !@*$ in my pants when i saw this post

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Flextronics was the company who produced the original Xbox - Made in Hungary - Since 2005, Flextronics has had a contract from Microsoft to build the Zune, Xbox, and Xbox 360

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Why Texas, not New York or San Francisco? Is helping hillbilly bumpkins out of poverty Apple's priority # 1?

I don't think they need any help.

Texas unemployment - 6.4%
California - 9%
New York - 7.9%

Not to mention individuals and corporations pay no state taxes. I can GUARANTEE that NY and CA individual and corporate state taxes are among the highest in the country.

Perhaps lower tax attracts business? Perhaps then businesses provide jobs? No, that doesn't make any sense at all. I know, lets tax the heck out of businesses and then wonder why they don't set up shop in our state. Or country for that matter. Then, when people aren't working because busineses choose to go elsewhere and we don't have enough money to provide for all the nanny state plans we have, lets just tax those that do work even more. Then when they leave to move to texas, lets ask the federal govt for aid.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I wander what the annual shipping numbers of this product will be. I imagine this will be far less popular than the existing mp

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Made in the USA, sure. Made by an American? No. Made by an automated robot. The level of automation for this has to be above their typical products, otherwise there's no way it'd be made in the USA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L5KWIrG1vY

An American will still need to program, maintain, and monitor that robot. The same number of people can make more of the product in same time.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Why should I pay more for goods when it can be built overseas cheaper? Why do you think the answer is to artificially prop up the labour market in ways that the economy doesn't support? Market forces are best left to do their thing unless intervention is absolutely necessary.

You'd think that they have made calculations pointing to it making economic sense doing so.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
I'm guessing entry level new MP will be $3k. Could be higher though. It's a niche market for people willing to pay lots for lots of power.

Lets hope not. But I wouldn't doubt it. But Apple has been lowering prices across the board in general. It can't be cheaper than an iMac. So let's see, top iMac 3k. But it has a 1k screen built in. Okay, so it's really a 2k machine. Add better processors and another GPU and 2k thunderbolt and all...

you're probably right. 3k minimum. If they're in below that somehow, which is what many are hoping, then it'll be a winner. People are looking for the same price point as the previous MacPro. Which would be around $2500 starting point. But with those dual GPUs I don't see how.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I don't think they need any help.

Texas unemployment - 6.4%
California - 9%
New York - 7.9%

Not to mention individuals and corporations pay no state taxes. I can GUARANTEE that NY and CA individual and corporate state taxes are among the highest in the country.

Perhaps lower tax attracts business? Perhaps then businesses provide jobs? No, that doesn't make any sense at all. I know, lets tax the heck out of businesses and then wonder why they don't set up shop in our state. Or country for that matter. Then, when people aren't working because busineses choose to go elsewhere and we don't have enough money to provide for all the nanny state plans we have, lets just tax those that do work even more. Then when they leave to move to texas, lets ask the federal govt for aid.

Romney pls go.

Shaggymax

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2013
Lanc, Penn USA
That is a great precedent to set. Their flagship Pro computer now assembled in the US. Hopefully this will lead to bigger and better things.

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
I thought it was being made by Rubbermade or Tuberware.

(You see, I made a trashcan joke there... ha...ha... ok, that's joke's old already.)

maybe made by Brabantia in Belgium! hahahahahhahahahhahaaa err.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.