Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has made the iWork for iCloud in-browser versions of Pages, Keynote and Numbers available to registered developers as a beta release. The browser based version of iWork was announced at Monday's WWDC Keynote address.

icloudbeta.jpg
The browser-based versions of iWork are meant to be a competitor to Google Docs and other cloud-based office productivity platforms -- they work on both a Mac or PC in Safari, Google Chrome and Microsoft Internet Explorer.

iWork for iCloud is expected to be released to the public later this year. For now, registered developers can log in with their developer credentials at beta.icloud.com.

Article Link: Apple Makes 'iWork for iCloud' Beta Available to Registered Developers

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
I wonder why they didn't make any changes to the icons on the beta iCloud site. Unless of course they're waiting to do all of that at once after the beta.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I don't know if I wasn't paying attention or not, but I presume they're not making these apps free to everyone? Especially with how much their counterparts actually cost. How are they managing this?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
For the love of god, please fix that website and update it from the 1990's look. So un-Apple looking. Start stealing Google designers Apple!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I wonder why they didn't make any changes to the icons on the beta iCloud site. Unless of course they're waiting to do all of that at once after the beta.

All of the icons need to be updated, and they need to remove the linen. I imagine that'll happen before release. The iCloud apps themselves will also need facelifts.

I hope they add collaborative features before release. They have a lot to do if they want to catch up to google docs.

izyreal

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
USA
I really hope they support multiple editors of a document at one time and that it works better than google docs. And that copying and pasting from/to Word retains ALL the formatting!
Good stuff! :)

Nalmond92

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
UK
This was certainly a surprise in he keynote..

I do wonder how thy will manage this as it makes the desktop apps rather redundant for mac. More interesting that now pc will now experience iWork which could break office's monopoly if this s done right and marketed!

Watch this space!

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
I don't know if I wasn't paying attention or not, but I presume they're not making these apps free to everyone? Especially with how much their counterparts actually cost. How are they managing this?

I wonder the cost as well. Is it free? Included with the app purchase?

r3m1

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2012
Earth

I do wonder how thy will manage this as it makes the desktop apps rather redundant for mac. More interesting that now pc will now experience iWork which could break office's monopoly if this s done right and marketed!

Watch this space!

I have used both (iWork and Office 2010) and iWork is way, way behind on what Office 2010 offers in terms of functionality. They will need to play catch up big time if they want to be an alternative at all ...

Playing catch up ... that seems to become the dominant theme with Apple ... too bad.

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
I really hope they support multiple editors of a document at one time and that it works better than google docs. And that copying and pasting from/to Word retains ALL the formatting!
Good stuff! :)

Different versions of Word don't even retain formatting. This will likely be better than Google though as Apple owns the rights to use lots of fonts, and has been doing publishing since before it owned Claris.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
Just a heads-up, it seems like you need to own the respective iOS apps to use the beta. Sadly, I do not on my developer account and am presented with a "more info about iWork" page.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-13 at 2.12.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-13 at 2.12.01 PM.png
    334.6 KB · Views: 120

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
I have used both (iWork and Office 2010) and iWork is way, way behind on what Office 2010 offers in terms of functionality. They will need to play catch up big time if they want to be an alternative at all ...

Playing catch up ... that seems to become the dominant theme with Apple ... too bad.

I hate to tell you, but Apple is not trying to go after Office users. It wants Microsoft making Office. It wants people with less demanding needs. Keynote by the way kicks Powerpoints butt. Pages gets the job done.

weezor

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2012
Just a heads-up, it seems like you need to own the respective iOS apps to use the beta. Sadly, I do not on my developer account and am presented with a "more info about iWork" page.

That's not true. Maybe you need a paid developer account but I certainly don't own any of those apps and I have access to them.

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
All of the icons need to be updated, and they need to remove the linen. I imagine that'll happen before release. The iCloud apps themselves will also need facelifts.

I hope they add collaborative features before release. They have a lot to do if they want to catch up to google docs.

Yeah I didn't even think about all of the extra legwork needed to give the facelifts to the web apps themselves. Yikes.

You'd think they would have done this before the beta, because I would guess changing the UI a bit would require some testing.

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york

What can Office do that iWork can't? Our company gave up Office several years ago and we don't miss it. We work for a lot of tech companies, sharing files with them. No issues at all.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012

IF that is a requirement in the final released version (and I understand that's a big if) it would be a huge handicap. They're competing with GoogleApps which is free. If there's any admission fee to use the web apps then most people just won't. OTOH if the web apps are available to everyone then they could be the 'gateway drug' for iWork. A demo version that could let more people to try it out to see what it's like before they buy the full version. Free web versions could result in a big uptake in full version sales.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville

Watch this space!

Doubtful, for two reasons. First, achieving feature parity with the desktop versions would be difficult if not impossible. Second, it would be a step backwards and a big mistake to push the existing iWork user base into apps that work only online. I'd expect the cloud versions of the iWork apps to be subsets of the desktop app functionality, just as the iOS versions are today.

----------

What can Office do that iWork can't? Our company gave up Office several years ago and we don't miss it. We work for a lot of tech companies, sharing files with them. No issues at all.

A few things, mostly of interest to Excel jocks.

Nalmond92

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
UK

I used iWork to write all my assignment for my last year at university, including my dissertation and had no problems at all.

If these are free, then for joe public there should be no need for them to buy office for their windows pc!

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I used iWork to write all my assignment for my last year at university, including my dissertation and had no problems at all.

If these are free, then for joe public there should be no need for them to buy office for their windows pc!

I know many people slept through the iWorks for iCloud portion of the keynote, but I was very excited to see Apple introduce cloud based productivity.

Being able to work from any device and have your work follow you is a blessing for one, and the majority of the time all I need is a light productivity suite, not full blown MS Office. The savings could go to a myriad of other things...like new iPhones or iPads...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.