Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammyvine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
I am going to uni and want an ipad to listen to music to on the train and browse

which ipad do you recommend

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've been very pleased with the iPad mini. It's extremely portable, and yet very usable.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I recently picked up a iPad 4 and though it's really nice with the retina, I think I might exchange it for a mini; but still undecided.

----------

I've been very pleased with the iPad mini. It's extremely portable, and yet very usable.

curious, have you run into any sluggish performance/lag?

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I vastly prefer the 9.7" screen size-not to mention the better hardware it has.

Only advantage to the mini would be if it's pocketable, which I assume it's not (asking a question about that right now lol)

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
I am going to uni and want an ipad to listen to music to on the train and browse

which ipad do you recommend

yeah may wait for the retina

the ipad is too big imo

Do you play lot of games? And what about storage? iPad Mini is very portable and might be suitable for you but its older chip and 512MB isn't as good as the iPad 4. Also this year's iPad Mini might not get retina display according to the rumours -

https://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/19/analyst-flip-flops-again-thinner-ipad-mini-in-late-2013-retina-display-in-early-2014/

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Do you play lot of games? And what about storage? iPad Mini is very portable and might be suitable for you but its older chip and 512MB isn't as good as the iPad 4. Also this year's iPad Mini might not get retina display according to the rumours -

https://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/19/analyst-flip-flops-again-thinner-ipad-mini-in-late-2013-retina-display-in-early-2014/

That would make some kind of sense. It can't go to 4x the resolution very easily with decent battery life since it needs 4x the GPU. But they can still bump it to the dual core Swift + 3 GPU design used in the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.