Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During Apple's WWDC keynote, the company revealed that a number of new APIs will be introduced with iOS 7, including support for MFi (Made for iPhone) certified hardware game controllers, which will allow manufacturers to design and release dedicated iOS gaming peripherals.

Some new information on the controllers has been made available to us from a variety of sources, including Czech site Jablickar.cz, which reports that Apple will team up with both Logitech and MOGA to produce the upcoming controllers. While no details on design have been leaked, Apple did provide two reference images to developers displaying a standalone handheld controller and an iPhone enclosure.

mogaprocontroller.jpg
A MOGA Controller
Both of the aforementioned companies already produce gaming controllers for use with PCs and Android. Major gaming companies like Gameloft, Mad Finger Games, SEGA, and Rockstar Games all offer support for MOGA's Android controllers, suggesting that support for Apple's upcoming controllers is likely too.

Games that include support for the controllers will be required to support traditional touch-based gaming input as well. Though Apple has prototype controllers on-hand at WWDC, the company is expecting the third party controllers to debut in the fall.

Article Link: Apple Working with Logitech and MOGA on Upcoming MFi Game Controllers

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Apple said during one of the WWDC videos that Logitech and MOGA controllers will be out in the fall.

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
Though I agree something is cooking in the oven with the ATV and gaming, I am reluctant to say it will be coming this fall since Apple would have debuted it for their developers last week so they could bring their games to the ATV app store.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
All we're asking for is a legal NES emulator.

NES? Uh, no. GBA, GC, and N64 please!

Actually, there is an NES emulator (or at least there was recently) on the App Store disguised as something else. It's called Gridlee I think. It looks like a normal game, but it's an NES emulator with a built-in ROM that you can switch out with something like Diskaid for other ROMs... totally "legal", non-jailbreaking, sanctioned by Apple.

Last edited:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Now open the ATV for 3rd party apps and my gaming dream will come true :)

Only for certain game types: even Lightning -> HDMI has a slight lag, and AirPlay (AppleTV) has even more (seems to vary depending on the type of action being transmitted). Fine for racing in my view, and puzzles and strategy... not so good for twitch shooters or ultra-precise platformers. (Although the game parameters could be tweaked to help hide the lag for some actions.)

I love gaming from iOS to TV, and would love a controller, but I'm realistic about the limitations. iOS is best on its own screen. (Which would make portable controllers for iPhone/iPad Mini very tempting.)

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Only for certain game types: even Lightning -> HDMI has a slight lag, and AirPlay (AppleTV) has even more (seems to vary depending on the type of action being transmitted). Fine for racing in my view, and puzzles and strategy... not so good for twitch shooters or ultra-precise platformers. (Although the game parameters could be tweaked to help hide the lag for some actions.)

I love gaming from iOS to TV, and would love a controller, but I'm realistic about the limitations. iOS is best on its own screen. (Which would make portable controllers for iPhone/iPad Mini very tempting.)

Hi mate!
If AppleTV itself runs the game, the only little lag would be on the controller itself. For iOS most action games would be lag free only on its screens, but official joypad support would be cool imho.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
With the way the Wii U is selling... Nintendo will have no choice but to release their games on iOS!

What makes you say that? Nintendo has enough cash on hand to run the company at a loss for several years. Nintendo and Apple are a lot alike - neither of them will ever compromise of having control of the entire system. If its their software, it's on their hardware, and if its on their hardware, it's been approved by them if it isn't by them.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
Now open the ATV for 3rd party apps and my gaming dream will come true :)

I didn't even think about Apple TV, that would be awesome. iPad Mini would be an awesome portable gaming machine.

All we're asking for is a legal NES emulator.

I would die happy. But I don't think it will happen. I suspect some developers will release games on their own. Can I just get Tecmo Super Bowl please?

Controller support is one of my favourite iOS 7 features.

Yup, same here!

----------

Only for certain game types: even Lightning -> HDMI has a slight lag, and AirPlay (AppleTV) has even more (seems to vary depending on the type of action being transmitted).

Lightning HDMI connector has lag? That's VERY disappointing. Airplay is understandable as it's wireless, but there shouldn't be lag with a lightning connector to HDMI.

theelysium

Suspended
Nov 18, 2008
Wii Pro

I hope someone makes a controller like the Wii U Pro controller. I know sounds weird, but it's a great design. I want that one on my iOS devices.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I don't understand anyone who says Apple needs an App Store or an SDK for the Apple TV. Both iOS and OS X already:

1 - Have app stores
2 - Have SDKs
3 - Can stream any content to an Apple TV

There's no need for the Apple TV to have an official App Store - all that Apple needs is for developers to start making more apps that can stream content to the Apple TV and to promote those apps.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
I don't understand anyone who says Apple needs an App Store or an SDK for the Apple TV. Both iOS and OS X already:

1 - Have app stores
2 - Have SDKs
3 - Can stream any content to an Apple TV

There's no need for the Apple TV to have an official App Store - all that Apple needs is for developers to start making more apps that can stream content to the Apple TV and to promote those apps.

Try streaming a game - or anything dynamic besides straight video - to the Apple TV.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
At the rate that iOS devices get hardware upgrades, an iPhone could be more powerful than a PS4 before the next generation of consoles is over.

Namjins

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
USA
I would die happy. But I don't think it will happen. I suspect some developers will release games on their own. Can I just get Tecmo Super Bowl please?

Not trolling with this, but I just never saw the appeal of Tecmo Super Bowl. I bought it at a yard sale when i was young and never got more than 5 minutes into it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.