Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amy2005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
North Yorkshire, England
Hi,

I have a 2007 iMac currently running 10.6.8, and with 4GB memory (see pic).

I used to have 10.7 on this iMac with 2GB memory and a 250GB hard drive, but it ran really, really slow.. So I got some extra memory and a new 500GB hard drive put in (and it had a good clean inside). Is there any chance 10.7 will work smoothly now, or is my mac just too old? :( I don't want to take the risk and have to do a full system restore, as my DVD drive no longer works either :( (Maybe time for a new mac! :))

I like 10.6, but I miss having iCloud syncing my calendar :rolleyes:

Thanks,
Amy

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
I have Lion on a late '06 iMac with 3gb of RAM. It runs well enough, though I think the SSD helps greatly.

Amy2005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
North Yorkshire, England
I have Lion on a late '06 iMac with 3gb of RAM. It runs well enough, though I think the SSD helps greatly.

Ah that's great thank you! :) Does the 2007 iMac have a SSD? (I'm not very clued up on the insides of computers :rolleyes:))

----------

Yes it'll work just fine. 10.8 may even be faster on it than 10.7.

Oh wow, that's great, thank you! I'll give 10.8 a go :)

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Ah that's great thank you! :) Does the 2007 iMac have a SSD? (I'm not very clued up on the insides of computers :rolleyes:)

No it does not have SSD.

I have a Mid 2007 iMac running 10.8.4 with 4 GB Ram and runs just fine. From what I have read it will even be able to run 10.9 Maverick when it comes out. But I believe that will be the last OS upgrade I will be able to do. I will have to wait and see, but no problem with 10.8.

Amy2005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
North Yorkshire, England
No it does not have SSD.

I have a Mid 2007 iMac running 10.8.4 with 4 GB Ram and runs just fine. From what I have read it will even be able to run 10.9 Maverick when it comes out. But I believe that will be the last OS upgrade I will be able to do. I will have to wait and see, but no problem with 10.8.

Ah thank you :) This news has made me rather happy! I was thinking the poor mac would be considered 'past it' and wouldn't take too kindly to the newer OS X :) I shall get it updated tomorrow!
May have to get rid of Adobe CS3 and Final Cut Studio 5 from the iMac though (as I've heard the compatibility with 10.7 and 10.8 isn't good), and just use them on the MacBook Pro (which I'm keeping with 10.6.8 I think) as the DVD drive on that is still going strong :)

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Ah thank you :) This news has made me rather happy! I was thinking the poor mac would be considered 'past it' and wouldn't take too kindly to the newer OS X :) I shall get it updated tomorrow!
May have to get rid of Adobe CS3 and Final Cut Studio 5 from the iMac though (as I've heard the compatibility with 10.7 and 10.8 isn't good), and just use them on the MacBook Pro (which I'm keeping with 10.6.8 I think) as the DVD drive on that is still going strong :)

I am running CS5 on my old iMac and no problems. CS4 was no problem either. Would not know about CS3, never had it installed on that iMac. My 2007 iMac is the family computer. It is used for school work, web surfing, some photo editing and the odd little design job for the family. You always have your MacBook for the heavy work. Good luck with the upgrade, pretty sure you will enjoy the new OS.

Amy2005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
North Yorkshire, England
I am running CS5 on my old iMac and no problems. CS4 was no problem either. Would not know about CS3, never had it installed on that iMac. My 2007 iMac is the family computer. It is used for school work, web surfing, some photo editing and the odd little design job for the family. You always have your MacBook for the heavy work. Good luck with the upgrade, pretty sure you will enjoy the new OS.

Thank you :) I'm looking forward to the upgrades. I always thought of giving it a go, but always chickened out. It's a good idea I think to keep the MacBook Pro for the heavier work, and leave the iMac as more of a leisure computer :) Thanks again.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Ah that's great thank you! :) Does the 2007 iMac have a SSD? (I'm not very clued up on the insides of computers :rolleyes:))

As mentioned it does not, I installed it myself and it MASSIVELY sped up the machine overall.

And I've got CS3 running on it reasonably well, unless I get into really big Photoshop files or overly complex Illustrator files it does just fine.

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
I have an '07 iMac running 10.6.8. I know many things did not get upgraded to work with 10.7+ and now I am getting a new machine of some sort. At this point I will leave my '07 alone so I will always (well, until the '07 actually dies) be able to run anything that worked before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.