Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I don't want to keep going on about the crappy name, but there are still some wild cat names left, which haven't been used.

Cougar
Lynx
Wildcat
Bobcat
Margay
Asiatic Lion

to name a few...

The OS X names were specifically big cats, not "wild cats". Here is the Wikipedia definition:

The term big cat, while not a biological classification, is used informally to distinguish the larger felid species from smaller ones. One definition of "big cat" includes the four members of the genus Panthera: the tiger, lion, jaguar, and leopard. Members of this genus are the only cats able to roar. A more expansive definition of "big cat" also includes the cougar, cheetah, snow leopard, and clouded leopard.

They had already well and truly used all these names - in fact they had duplicates (except clouded leopard).

* A "panther" refers to leopard in Africa and Asia, a cougar in North America and a jaguar in South America.

* Puma and mountain lion already refer to exactly the same animal - Puma concolor - and cougar and panther are other names names for this species.

My guess is they shied away from "Cougar" due to it's other connotations and went with "Mountain Lion" instead.

The Deepness

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008
I think the name OS X Mavericks is great!

I'm not into surfing and I'd never heard of the location so I'd have never thought of the name Mavericks, but I like it a lot! It's sounding better and better the more I say it.

And it definitely needs the "s" on the end. Without the "s", it stops sharply in the mouth, as well as calls to mind Tom Cruise from Top Gun or the 2008 GOP presidential ticket. Bad juju. But with the "s", it flows! I'm digging it. I'm ready. My body's ready. My new iMac's body's ready! I can't wait until it's released this Fall!

Seriously though, the name Mavericks was totally unexpected, and establishes a bold, fresh, new direction for OS X going forward, complete with many positive connotations. Plus, with each new OS X release, they could share a new, previously-obscure location in California with the world. With so many possibilities, they could even give names to iOS as well.

I'm really pleased and excited by the focus and energy Ive and Federighi, and their teams, have put back in OS X. And I think the new name fits perfectly!

Well done, Apple!

DarkRyoushii

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
can someone who's running it post the results of:
Code:
cat /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist
I'm interested to see if there is a difference in the Catalog this time around

m3rih

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2013
disaster

the process was totaly disaster. I didn't make clean install, instead I installed it on mountain lion. At first startup, everything was smooth. Everything started when I restarted mac. All icons disappered. The whole system became unresponsive. I couldn't do anything. I even couldn't shutdown or restart the mac. I shut it down via power button. It screwed everything. Fortunately, I have had time machine back ups.

dazcox5181

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
Essex, UK
I installed clean and it's pretty much spot on so far. Couple of bugs in dashboard (of all things!) but maybe thats because code is being removed? (I hope).

Performance on the 2010 unibody macbook is awesome (SSD + 8GB) and all my apps are working too... which is handy ;)

iBooks isn't in this release but if other releases are an indication we'll have a software update or new build in a few weeks.

m3rih

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2013
I installed clean and it's pretty much spot on so far. Couple of bugs in dashboard (of all things!) but maybe thats because code is being removed? (I hope).

Performance on the 2010 unibody macbook is awesome (SSD + 8GB) and all my apps are working too... which is handy ;)

iBooks isn't in this release but if other releases are an indication we'll have a software update or new build in a few weeks.

I couldn't make clean install. I downloaded mac os x mavericks from one of the torrent sites. I restored it to usb. But when I booted mac from this usb, just installation screen appeared. No disk utility, no online help.
How can I make clean install?

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
I'm missing a picture of an animal for the os x icon.

But even though os x mavericks was named after the place called mavericks, that place was actually named after a dog called maverick.

So we need a picture of that dog for the icon. But I can't find it on the net. Does anyone have it?

dazcox5181

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
Essex, UK
I couldn't make clean install. I downloaded mac os x mavericks from one of the torrent sites. I restored it to usb. But when I booted mac from this usb, just installation screen appeared. No disk utility, no online help.
How can I make clean install?

Its the same as making a mountain lion install USB. iirc the process is

mount the dmg you downloaded. Ensure you have finder set to show all files, and right click the install osx icon ->show package contents.
In disk utility format your usb stick as 1 partition, guid partition format, mac hfs journal led.
On the restore tab drag your usb to the destination field
In finder look in the contents for base system.dmg - drag this to the disk utility source field.
Restore the usb.
Then once thats done drag the packages folder from the install source to the usb on /system/installation (i think)
it copies over the existing symlink.

Then reboot with the usb in and hold option. Voila!

Other people have written much better guides - as i said look for a mountain lion usb guide.
It's easy, and takes about 15 minutes. Clean install is still working nigh on perfect for me.

of course if you're gonna get software from torrent sites you really should know what you're doing first...but we all gotta learn somehow ;)

oatman13

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2013
Not me..??

You're obviously not an OpenGL Programmer. You have the profile set to "Compatibility", you need to change it to use the "Core" profile. Compatibility is the fixed function pipeline of OpenGL, the new core profile deprecates compatibility. Enable Core and you should get OpenGL 4.1

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
You're obviously not an OpenGL Programmer. You have the profile set to "Compatibility", you need to change it to use the "Core" profile. Compatibility is the fixed function pipeline of OpenGL, the new core profile deprecates compatibility. Enable Core and you should get OpenGL 4.1

Ahh... tnx!

You are correct!

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
Do they bring back Spaces like in snow leopard?
That is the main thing I care about.
From what I saw, yes. When Craig gave the multiple screens demo, he mentioned that each screen supports "spaces" independently.

mikecorp

Suspended
Mar 20, 2008
Am I the only one ?

I think Mavericks is pretty boring.
They added some apps, but the look and feel, is old same.

I would like much deeper integration with Ios. They should let Jonathan to redesign and evolve the osx.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
Need to say this.

Pathfinder will be installed in my Mavericks OS. I need more than Tabs. today if I use a Mac without Pathfinder I feel lost.

Try this: Install Pathfinder on a Snow Leopard Mac and launch Mountain Lion on another Mac. Everyone will tell you Snow Leopard is way better just for Pathfinder! LMAO I did it once and it was funny as hell

----------

The OS X names were specifically big cats, not "wild cats". Here is the Wikipedia definition:

They had already well and truly used all these names - in fact they had duplicates (except clouded leopard).

* A "panther" refers to leopard in Africa and Asia, a cougar in North America and a jaguar in South America.

* Puma and mountain lion already refer to exactly the same animal - Puma concolor - and cougar and panther are other names names for this species.

My guess is they shied away from "Cougar" due to it's other connotations and went with "Mountain Lion" instead.

Understand Apple is rebooting on a new NO STEVE JOBS era. They change the path, they change the iOS, they change OS X name, they joke about it on stage, make fun of Steve ideas on design and with the Mac Pro they kill what steve jobs called the ultimate expandable Mac ever made.

The New Apple has born in this presentation. They all knew it and felt it. Even the crowd felt it. They even create a commercial just for saying so. They want the world to know that a new team (that rimes with King) is taking the seat.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
...with the Mac Pro they kill what steve jobs called the ultimate expandable Mac ever made.

Well, I agree that Steve never would have shipped that Mac Pro…he would have just killed off the old one and told pros they should all buy iMacs. Cook seems to care more about pro users than Jobs did in years.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I was wondering if anyone can confirm if the Finder Tabs in Mavericks allow for a dual windows like what Xtra Finder does?

Thanks.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
Well, I agree that Steve never would have shipped that Mac Pro…he would have just killed off the old one and told pros they should all buy iMacs. Cook seems to care more about pro users than Jobs did in years.

Are you kidding. The Mac Pro was his most praised Mac ever. He really love expandability just like Woz the only thing was he love sales more so always the comercial and consumer hardware were pitched first. See the video: introducing the Mac Pro
Look how Steve talks about it and how they proudly talks about all you can do with it. The i was for consumers and the Pro was for creators.

This Mac Pro 2013 will be the end of that vision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.