Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I'm a pro user for sure, had a Mac Pro since 2006. Everyone is having their jimmies rustled over this and that, from the case to the upgradability. Okay, some of that is valid.

But are there any other pro's who just want to buy it, plug in their 2-3-4 thunderbolt displays, and not worry about anything? I know there are the neckbeards who will never be happy with apple, but I for one can't wait to plop my cylinder down by my monitors and just forget it's there.

Danboard

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2013
Airdrie, Alberta Canada
I will! I have been waiting for a replacement for my Mac Pro 3.1. Been running it with a 30" Cinema Display and a Wacom Cintiq doing professional work as an animator. The machine is getting quite long in the tooth. I definitely am looking forward to just buying this new one once it becomes available, plugging in maybe a Thunderbolt display and my Cintiq and just go!

Derpage

Suspended
Mar 7, 2012
I don't typically question a person's business acumen, but buying something for professional use without considering cost and function is insane.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I don't typically question a person's business acumen, but buying something for professional use without considering cost and function is insane.

Both are considered and meet all expectations and requirements. The perfect purchase for my professional needs.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Count me in. I generally upgrade my desktop every 4 years, and while my 2009 is still working just fine, this new machine seems like the ideal time to upgrade. So I'll be among the first to pre-order.

Configuration wise, since I mainly work on photography, I'll look for a high-clock quad core with entry level GPU's, 16GB of RAM, and max out the internal SSD (which is the best part of this machine IMHO).

I'll get a USB3 enclosure to house my spinning disk archives and one (4K) or two 27" ACD displays depending on what Apple launches at the same time (or even stick with my dual 24" ACDs if there's nothing new on the display front).

Can't wait.

Derpage

Suspended
Mar 7, 2012
Both are considered and meet all expectations and requirements. The perfect purchase for my professional needs.

How were you able to determine cost? I have been trying to calculate that for 5h!75 and giggles but have drawn a blank. If would be so kind as to share your method, I along with many others, would be very interested to know it.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
How were you able to determine cost? I have been trying to calculate that for 5h!75 and giggles but have drawn a blank. If would be so kind as to share your method, I along with many others, would be very interested to know it.

I don't really know what you're asking, but I assume its passive aggressive.

Derpage

Suspended
Mar 7, 2012
I don't really know what you're asking, but I assume its passive aggressive.

The cost of something? How much money are you going to provide Apple in exchange for a computer?
(I'll assume you are easily offended on the internet...ok?)

Cubemmal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
I have two TB monitors on a 17" MBP (the last one). I'm pretty sure they'll plug right in.

I doubt I'll preorder though, I'll wait until the dust settles and I can get the full reports.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
The cost of something? How much money are you going to provide Apple in exchange for a computer?
(I'll assume you are easily offended on the internet...ok?)

They will have a price listed on the page. Are you coyly implying that I can't determine business value when I don't know the monetary expense? I figure there's a range of $1000 on the upper end a model with fall between, probably one between $3500-4500. I paid $3000 for my current Mac Pro in 2006 and used it until late 2011.

violst

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
I for one am ecstatic that we have a new Mac Pro, This forum was all abuzz with people's expectations that apple was going to kill the line. It sure was a huge concern of mine. But guess what people we have a new Mac Pro, and people are still bitching. I'm still trying to get over the excitement that we have a new Mac Pro and that Phil Schiller referred to it as being a product design that they will carry for the next ten years.

With that being said there are some obvious down sides to the new Pro but not as many as some people are making it seem. It will still carry a Xeon processor, I would have liked two but a 12 core option is great. I would have liked 8 ram slots not four but 64gigs will do the trick I have 16 now. Two not one yes you heard me right two workstation class firepro GPU's and people are still bitching about that blows my mind. The GPU's offered in the current Mac Pros all but suck. So we will have to use external expansion over TB2, there are a lot worst things then that.

I can live with all of the Pros downfalls because I believe the long term upside of the new Mac Pro is going to be great.

So yes I would love to just buy it, plug my monitors into it and get my work done at blistering speeds.

Derpage

Suspended
Mar 7, 2012
They will have a price listed on the page. Are you coyly implying that I can't determine business value when I don't know the monetary expense? I figure there's a range of $1000 on the upper end a model with fall between, probably one between $3500-4500. I paid $3000 for my current Mac Pro in 2006 and used it until late 2011.

I'm not implying anything. I've never been accused of doing so much and saying so little. Anyways, thanks for sharing your M.O.. I find the reasons people are willing to buy this machine to be very interesting and tech amuses me oh so very much.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I'm not implying anything. I've never been accused of doing so much and saying so little. Anyways, thanks for sharing your M.O.. I find the reasons people are willing to buy this machine to be very interesting and tech amuses me oh so very much.

My jimmies remain unrustled.

lampliter

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
The existing Mac Pro has support for the 5870 and the new pro has two wicked gpu's. When I bought my Mac Pro the only reliable card was the 7300. I bought it knowing it was the weakest computer on the market graphics wise and no upgrade in site except the xt1900 that had no success because of heating problems. I'll buy this thing in a heart beat but I wouldn't buy the existing Mac Pro for half price. I do understand the concerns of people who need the power but this new Pro is getting way to much negative hype. It is a beast compared to what we have.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
We've had three production houses go out of business within a two block radius. They have great deals on workstations and Aeron Chairs. You can see the aftermath of reckless spending in all three circumstances.

If you want to stay in business, you have to control costs. There's no fountain of money in small business.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
We've had three production houses go out of business within a two block radius. They have great deals on workstations and Aeron Chairs. You can see the aftermath of reckless spending in all three circumstances.

If you want to stay in business, you have to control costs. There's no fountain of money in small business.

Thanks warren buffet haha. I love how a Mac Pro is now reckless spending regardless of the need, and that unless you're building a machine off newegg (who would want to do that??) you're a business spendthrift.

Don't hate. Appreciate.

mrhick01

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
I likely will when I get the chance.

I'm a prosumer that occasionally does light/intermediate graphic design, dabble in simple analog to digital audio/video conversion, and run multiple virtual machines in XP, 7 and Ubuntu. Also need to VPN to my office PC every now and again.

I've currently got a 2008 Mac Pro w/16 GB of RAM and a GTX 285, a 120 gb OWC SSD, multiple 3 and 4 TB hard drives and a 14 TB UNRaid (drobo-like) multimedia server that serves my PS3 and TiVo devices throughout the house.

When it becomes available, I'm selling the 2008 and getting a new MacTube w/32-64 GB and the largest HD I can afford. I need to move these other drives into a heavy-duty enclosure (MacGurus anyone?) I need to transition my stuff in better technology.

If I need a blu-ray burner for I want to do in the next 3-4 years, I'll add it. I will get a Thunderbolt dock and I will rack my other equipment on an as-needed basis.

This is Apple moving technology forward. It will be amusing to check this place out five years from now and hear some of the same complainers talking about the Mac Pro now, when HP and Dell have tube-like workstations that it is just the "natural progression of technology."

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I've currently got a 2008 Mac Pro w/16 GB of RAM and a GTX 285, a 120 gb OWC SSD, multiple 3 and 4 TB hard drives and a 14 TB UNRaid (drobo-like) multimedia server that serves my PS3 and TiVo devices throughout the house.

If you mean that an UnRAID server is like a Drobo in that they both store data then that would would be accurate. Otherwise the way UnRAID and Drobo's BeyondRAID work are nothing alike.

mrhick01

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
If you mean that an UnRAID server is like a Drobo in that they both store data then that would would be accurate. Otherwise the way UnRAID and Drobo's BeyondRAID work are nothing alike.

I did not get into architectures. They are both platforms where you can aggregate drives into a JBOD format with some redundancy. UnRAID isn't fast, but it's pretty flexible and reliable.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
Thanks warren buffet haha. I love how a Mac Pro is now reckless spending regardless of the need, and that unless you're building a machine off newegg (who would want to do that??) you're a business spendthrift.
Well they still had boxed MacPros. computers typically don't give you a good ROI till you unpack them.

I'm just saying, don't get too carried away with the latest tech. It's only as good as the people using it, and someday you'll be asking somebody to take it to an e-waste facilty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.