Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBAir 2012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
I'm thinking of updating my Macbook Air 2012 11" with this years model mainly because of the battery life. I'm waiting for actual battery life figures before I make the move:). As much as I like my Macbook, on average I'm getting between 3-3.5 hrs battery life and time after time I'm putting it down and picking up the iPad which gets annoying when you're in the middle of reading or browsing:( Its got to the point where unless I need to do something productive I just use the iPad which is 70% of the time. Shame as I was hoping to use it a lot more than that given its value.If I could get at least 6hrs,which should be bare minimum for an ultra portable these days IMO, I'd be happy.

My question: Last year when I bought from the Apple store I got the £70 voucher on top of the student discount however no sign of similar deal this year yet? Could you purchase the laptop now and be entitled to the voucher if within the 14 days return period? Surely you could return the laptop and purchase again with the deal although I'd prefer if they offered the voucher to save the hassle.

P.S I don't mind waiting but you never know if the deal is going to be back on or not so thought I'd raise the question.

Thanks!

Last edited:

techn0lady

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2010
Obviously if you're within your return period you could simply return the machine and purchase another with the promotion.

Since your question is purely hypothetical and there is no current gift card promotion you can not even call Apple and ask them about a non-existent promotion so I am at a loss as to how you expect anyone on the forum to answer .

MBAir 2012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
My question was based on the fact the promotion has been running for the last couple of years and if anyone has come across a situation where Apple offered the gift card as appose to having to exchange the laptop?

Half the posts on this forum are of hypothetical situations, lol.:)

Thanks for the reply.

n1tut

macrumors regular
In the UK if you order as a Uni student you have to put the order in through your Universities system to get the education price, but if you tick the school box you can then checkout with a £50 discount.

tut

thakrars

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
In the UK if you order as a Uni student you have to put the order in through your Universities system to get the education price, but if you tick the school box you can then checkout with a £50 discount.

tut

Are you saying you can get the university discount + an extra £50?

I just tried selecting my university, then also clicking the School/College link but the prices go up, because you get more of a discount when doing through university.

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales

tut

That used to be the case, but you can also get a link to use externally now too. Same discount as being logged onto the Uni network

MeatRocket

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2013
In the Sandbox
Believe it or not, I actually chatted with an Apple Store rep about this very issue last night. I'm a student, I want to combine the student discount with the BTS sale AND the tax free holiday my state offers for back to school. Here were the details given to me:

The rep said when (not if) the BTS sale starts, I can login to the Apple Education Store and build my BTO Mac. My student discount will apply AND I'll be able to use any BTS promotion for the machine I choose. The Apple Store "should" recognize any tax-free holiday going on in my state, but if it doesn't, then call the 1-800-MY-APPLE number & they will take the tax off for me.

I asked about doing this at a local Apple Store and they said I could IF I wanted a stock config Mac, since the Apple Retail Stores can't order a BTO for me.

So I'm going to be waiting until the 1st weekend in August to get my stuff & save a lot of $$ :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.