Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft today announced the launch of Office Mobile for Office 365 subscribers, a new iPhone-only app that allows users to view and edit Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files. The free app requires a subscription to Microsoft's Office 365 service in order to function.

office_mobile_iphone_screenshots.jpg
Similar to our free Office Mobile for Windows Phone that ships with every handset, the iPhone app enables great Office content viewing and on-the-go content editing capabilities.

After signing in to an Office 365 account, you can access, view and edit Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents from anywhere. And, you can count on Office Mobile to keep all your content and formatting intact so the document still looks great when you're back on your PC or Mac.
Office Mobile for Office 365 subscribers is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link] The app requires a subscription to Office 365, which can be purchased through the app itself. Microsoft also offers a 30-day trial of Office 365 to allow users to test out the service.

Article Link: Microsoft Brings 'Office Mobile for Office 365 Subscribers' to iPhone

Fifemacuser

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
iPhone..... Check
iPad....... Check
iMac...... Check
Office 365......check

App in UK App Store...... No.

What reason can they have for not having this available worldwide. I am already paying for 365, but I mustn't be as important to them as I am not American.

pkagel

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
SoCal ExPat
That would be awesome if I was a power user but all I ever do in Office is update my resume and keep track of my gas milage and repairs. This is the reason I still use Office 2008. I really wish they would have a stripped down and simple version of Office for us normal users so that we could put something simple together on our ipads.

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
iPhone..... Check
iPad....... Check
iMac...... Check
Office 365......check

What reason can they have for not having this available worldwide. I am already paying for 365, but I mustn't be as important to them as I am not American.

Benefits of having a US account and a UK account ;)

Mine is downloading, but its told me that its over 50MB so I can't do it over cellular. Out comes the iPad, on goes the hotspot....down comes the app!

hoodedwarbler12

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2012
Tennessee
When I look at it on the App Store it doesn't say iPhone-only. In fact, it's compatible with most of the devices (iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (5th generation), iPad (4th generation, all models), and iPad mini.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
When I look at it on the App Store it doesn't say iPhone-only. In fact, it's compatible with most of the devices (iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (5th generation), iPad (4th generation, all models), and iPad mini.

They mean it's not universal. It'll run on the iPad but at 2x.

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Sounds like they're protecting Surface by not releasing ipad version. And they won't sell it in App Store because they don't want to pay Apple 30% commission.

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
Only for US Customers?

When are they going to make this available for other countries?

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
iPhone..... Check
iPad....... Check
iMac...... Check
Office 365......check

I echo you're thoughts, but I'd suspect that it's simply a case of it not showing up on the UK store yet. I hope this is the case anyway!

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Sounds like they're protecting Surface by not releasing ipad version. And they won't sell it in App Store because they don't want to pay Apple 30% commission.

There is an in app purchase option and I'm sure that they're paying apple the cut.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
This is nice. How much does it cost to be a 365 subscriber?

For the year is $ 99.99.

For that much money you could buy the iWork suite for both your iPad and Mac, and never pay again.

What you would pay for 2.5 years is equal to the cost of Final Cut Pro X.

Also, consider the fact that you'll need to be connected to Skydrive, which requires an internet connection.

----------

Unless the article is wrong...

The app store shows In-App purchase of a 1-Year subscription for $99.99

macintologist

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2004
You can purchase a subscription using the in-app purchase method. I wonder if Apple takes a 30% cut or if something was negotiated?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.