Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eff pc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Just a curious thought, I wonder if a 30-pin male to lightning female adapter will come out. Pre-ordered an iPhone 5 last night with an extra lightning USB cable but i have an ipod nano too that stays in my car and i'd much rather use lightning cable with this type of adapter on that so if i need to plug my phone in I don't need a second cable or a lightning to 30-pin adapter laying around. (would leave the 30Male to L-Female attached to the nano when not hooked up). Also because of the size it would seem like there wouldn't be much added stress either since you are going from big to small not small to big. Would basically just make the nano longer since it's about the width of the 30-pin connector anyway. Thoughts?

Craigriver

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2008
Stanwood, WA
I agree a 30 pin male to female Lightening adaptor makes sense

I saw the adaptor you are describing when I did a recent Google search. Now, I can't find it. I asked an Apple Store employee, he sheepishly said that he was getting requests for this type of connector, but that Apple decided something different. I hope to find the 30 pin male to Lightening female adaptor soon. I'll just leave it in my iPad2. The new Lightening adaptor rocks!

dhartung02

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2007
Little Rock, AR
I would love to find this adapter. I have an iPad 3 and an iPhone 5. I would love to just carry lightning cables and an adapter for when i charge the ipad. I found what i want here but i cant find anyone that sells it.

dhartung02

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2007
Little Rock, AR
Here is a link for the connector.

http://www.sandberg.it/product/Adapter-30pin-M-to-Lightning-F

There is no source in North America that I could find.

Thanks Craigriver! I did come across that one as well. I really am not fond of how big it is, and I dont like that plug cover attached to the side. I really wish i could find the one shown here......

http://ddl.en.alibaba.com/product/697399542-0/30_Pin_male_to_8_Pin_female_Adapter_for_iPhone_5_DDL_O_007_.html

Craigriver

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2008
Stanwood, WA
Amazon UK has the white ones - I've seen them

Thanks Craigriver! I did come across that one as well. I really am not fond of how big it is, and I dont like that plug cover attached to the side. I really wish i could find the one shown here......

http://ddl.en.alibaba.com/product/697399542-0/30_Pin_male_to_8_Pin_female_Adapter_for_iPhone_5_DDL_O_007_.html

Amazon UK has(d) them, however, the sellers I tried don't appear to have a means to ship them to the US. I tried to order one, but wasn't successful due to my address. That being said I've read of folks purchasing other items successfully through Amazon UK.

I've suggested to a retailer to acquire this item, we'll see if it happens. Good luck!

----------

Sorry to report, Amazon UK no longer lists this item. I think that it is a highly practical connector for those of us migrating to lightning connections. It is the best possible connecter bar none!

Last edited:

dhartung02

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2007
Little Rock, AR
Amazon UK has(d) them, however, the sellers I tried don't appear to have a means to ship them to the US. I tried to order one, but wasn't successful due to my address. That being said I've read of folks purchasing other items successfully through Amazon UK.

I've suggested to a retailer to acquire this item, we'll see if it happens. Good luck!

----------

Sorry to report, Amazon UK no longer lists this item. I think that it is a highly practical connector for those of us migrating to lightning connections. It is the best possible connecter bar none!

I hope the seller comes through. I really would like to order one of these.

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
That's not what they are looking for. They want a female 8 pin to male 30 pin adapter.

----------

But I'm still confused why anyone would need one....

Craigriver

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2008
Stanwood, WA
Why a male 30pin to female Lightning connecter?

That's not what they are looking for. They want a female 8 pin to male 30 pin adapter.

----------

First, the new connecter rocks compared to the old style. It plugs in on either side of the pins. The old 30 pin was one way and much more difficult to insert with ease.

I have an iPad 2, which has the old 30 pin connector and a new iPhone 5 which has the new connecter. I want the adaptor to place it in the iPad 2 and leave it there. I may possibly superglue it in place. Or, perhaps use some silicone which is easier to remove. I can plug the Lightning connecter into it and I only need carry one kind of charging cord.

All my old 30 pin to usb connectors are shot and I hate using them. So, why not go with the new item, which is oh so much easier to use? I can stick with one connector and don't need to fuss with the old clunky one.

----------

Hows about this one then?

Shipment times to the US are stated.

It was very thoughtful of you to mention this. Thanks so much for your consideration.

Last edited:

emma777

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2012
India, New delhi
Who knows how good it will be. Overall, Apple’s Lightning to 30-Pin Adapter and Lightning to 30-Pin Adapter (0.2 m) are good rather than great accessories, dragged down by a combination of high prices, mixed electronic compatibility, and physically imperfect designs.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Did you read the OP?

Overall, Apple’s Lightning to 30-Pin Adapter and Lightning to 30-Pin Adapter (0.2 m) are good rather than great accessories, dragged down by a combination of high prices, mixed electronic compatibility, and physically imperfect designs.
My adapters work fine. Not sure what you mean by the latter two. What specific problems are you having and how would you improve it?

Craigriver

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2008
Stanwood, WA
We may have a solution shortly

Still have been unable to find a seller of these.....I will keep looking.

I talked to these folks. http://www.fasttech.com/

I think they will be getting it soon! At least that is what they said when I sent them the page with the particular one you had suggested.

You might send them the link also, because they had been looking for the thicker one - I agree the smaller one look better.

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
I just ordered several lightning cables from fast tech. I'll post a review of them all when I get them.

Craigriver

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2008
Stanwood, WA
Nothing new insofar as the connecter

Anything new from FastTech?

Only, that it is soon to be listed. Not holding my breath for anytime soon.

I think I've learned why many folks desire the female 30 pin to maie lightening connecter. It is all the accessories are built upon the 30 pin model.

It looks like the manufacturers of accessories, such as bluetooth add-ons (rendered obsolete with Bluetooth 4.0?) and TV remote control transmitters all will need that kind of adaptor, as will the speaker/radio/alarm units all built upon the 30 pin paradigm. In fact some probably may never switch to lightening due to incompatibilities with lightning.

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Fast tech cable review.....#1 cabled adapter....fits fine, charges but does not do audio. Bummer cause I got it to use with my FM transmitter. #2 standard charge cable, fits and works like OEM, haven't tried a sync yet. #3 200 cm cable. Fit REALLY tightly and when I tried to unplug it, the hard plastic sheath slid right off, seemed to have no adhesive. #4 9cm cable, again fit too tightly and the plastic sheath on BOTH ends slid down, lightning and USB. To the companies credit, as soon as they get delivery confirmation, they send an email with links to report any problems, submit reviews etc. I liked that. Shipping took less than 10 days from China to Hawaii for free, with step by step tracking. I will try and get the two problem cables replaced.

Craiguyver

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2013
Ohio, USA
Still have been unable to find a seller of these.....I will keep looking.

There appears to be a company called "The Tech Lodge" in UK that sells the Sandberg 440-45 adapter and will ship to USA. You can order through Amazon.uk (at least two sellers appear to ship internationally), but I found that ordering direct from The Tech Lodge's website was cheaper.

URL:
http://www.thetechlodge.co.uk/Sandberg-Lightning-Adapter-computer-battery/dp/B009KZZ3LC

Adapter is £13.60. Shipping to US is quoted as £13 for one adapter and £20 for two. One adapter plus shipping would be £26.60, or about $42 dollars with current exchange rates.

I placed an order for one and will see if it actually is shipped by them to the USA.

Last edited:

Craigriver

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2008
Stanwood, WA
An interesting story about Apple's moves on the adapter front

http://www.pocketables.com/2012/12/...will-soon-be-very-obvious.html#comment-124391

I think some may enjoy the above linked story on Apple's seemingly poor creations to smooth the connecter transition. Still no 8 pin female lightning to 30 pin male adapter of consequence in sight.

Although apparently Apple Europe sells as micro-sim to 30 pin male connecter. I may purchase one, I can at least have a better connecter than my iPad's 30 pin connecter.

Viper-au

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
Does anyone know of a lightning female to 30 pin male adapter other than the Sandberg version referred to above?

I have a Bose SoundDock III, with a lightning connector. The reviews on Amazon indicate that the Sandberg adapter does not work on that device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.