Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After Apple debuted iOS 7 on Monday, the website for the new operating system displayed a set of icons that were different from the icons found in the current version of iOS 7.

Apple has since updated the website, but the Weather, Passport, and Reminders apps looked notably different, with the Passport and Reminders apps displaying different colors and the Weather app displaying a temperature rather than the current cloud and sun design.

ios7oldicons.jpg
"Old" iOS 7 icons
While it has been suggested that the icons represent future design changes that Apple is planning for iOS 7, it is more likely that the icons are previous iOS 7 design iterations. Because the icons were present on the website when it went public on Monday, it is reasonable to assume that the icons were the result of outdated and overlooked marketing material rather than an unintentional leak of new content.

The "old" weather icon, for example, forgoes the current sun and cloud icon of iOS 7 for a simple number, "73." That is the same temperature icon that is used for the iOS 6 version of Weather, so it is probable that the text-only 73 was an older, simpler design iteration taken from the current iOS 6 icon. There is no indication that the icon represents a live temperature reading.

ios7newicons.jpg
Current iOS 7 icons
Passbook, too, looked notably different in the older version, with a confusing color scheme that heavily featured blues and greens. Reminders was updated as well, swapping out gray for green and yellow for orange, both of which are bolder colors. Arguably, the newer versions of the apps feature crisper designs and more prominent, easy to distinguish colors.

Though it is unlikely that the icons represent upcoming designs, it is likely that iOS 7 will see several graphical updates before it is released to the public this fall. As noted yesterday by The Next Web, the current design is a "work in progress."

Article Link: Alternate Icons on iOS 7 Website Likely Old Marketing Material

Baumpie

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
Honestly I prefer the 'old' weather icon. It'll probably drain the battery though..

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I would love to have a live weather icon. They could do some very low power things that wouldn't drain battery to get current weather.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Honestly I prefer the 'old' weather icon. It'll probably drain the battery though..

I doubt it would be a big battery drain if it was to update once every hour. It certainly would be better than iOS 7's current weather icon.

bondjw07

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2003
That background icon is actually being used in the system for any apps that are stuck or haven't loaded correctly. The one with the circles and lines to the corners

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Welcome to the new Apple: "this is our work in progress", "will ship sometime this year"

YeahBuddy

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2011
Boston, MA
I've edited this post 16 times. I wish I could delete it.

The icons still need a lot of refinements in my opinion.

the end.

Last edited:

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky

The Jailbreak one doesn't make a noticeable drain.

But either way the "end to end redesign" is new icons laid out the same with new folder. Apple has lost a lot of talent if that's "end to end".

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Phew. If those we're future icons, they still look bad. My hopes for visual improvement are safe.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
What's strange about the captions, YeahBuddy?

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
The "old" caption confused me at first, because we have never seen the icons before, but I realize what they were actually referring too.

Ah okay :) Just making sure I hadn't made some kind of mistake or made it too confusing.

Matrixfan

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2008
First time I have ever been disgusted by an Apple product.:mad: I was expecting Apple to do away with the extreme skeumorphic stuff here and there, but this neonfest and ugly icons are horrible. I have a feeling all of this is in effort to gear up for the chineese market. As a european, It goes all the way against my taste.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Since a lot can change between now and the final release, it's possible that we might get a live weather icon. If this does happen, I'm sure we will have the ability to set the interval or just turn it off.

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Everybody Calm Down

Hate it? Keep the criticisms coming, but don't freak out. Detail your concerns in a detailed manner and more importantly let Apple know by submitting feedback here

Love it? Let us know but don't worry! Throughout the coming design iterations the grand vision of what we've seen won't ultimately be scrapped or changed in a major way again for quite some time. Better yet tell apple here

After seeing so much hate on Apple and other users of this forum for the biggest change to the iPhone since it came out, it makes me kind of sad. Let's please have some respect for other people's opinions and for each other!

Love you all!

JPSaltzman

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
These new icons all look as though they were pilfered from some class assignment for beginning graphic designers. For example, what does the icon with different sized colored circles represent, versus the NBC-peacock ripoff logo? Is that a Safari logo or a Compass logo? And what does an airplane, a movie projector, and a coffee cup all have in common to share one icon? Is that Passport?!

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
First time I have ever been disgusted by an Apple product.:mad: I was expecting Apple to do away with the extreme skeumorphic stuff here and there, but this neonfest and ugly icons are horrible. I have a feeling all of this is in effort to gear up for the chineese market. As a european, It goes all the way against my taste.

Yeah, some of these icons suck, especially Game Center. Random colored balls. What the heck? Safari also looks bad, and so do the totally flat buttons all over the place. It looks like something I'd make in Java.

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Since a lot can change between now and the final release, it's possible that we might get a live weather icon. If this does happen, I'm sure we will have the ability to set the interval or just turn it off.

Well, we have a live clock app now so there's a possibility that a live weather app will come! know that it depends on an internet connection, but there's still hope! We're not at GM yet :D

polymersayb

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
please change that hideous safari icon with a yucky white background! :(

I thought the white background was really bothering me too, but I think the real problem is that crappy gradient. If they made the whole icon a uniform dark blue I bet it would look pretty nice even with the white background. That said, a light blue (and not that bright cyan crap) might be even nicer.

Same with the Newstand icon–it looks like someone just slapped some clipart on. The white's not the main problem there either.

Also I wonder if for black iPhones the background will be black? Speculation is that the overlays will be black rather than white. I'd like to see what that looks like.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.