Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
What's the catch? You save your entire purchase 5% off. That's pretty nice, I've been interested in getting one but not sure why they would just give you 5% off. Thinking about pre-ordering PS4

Toppa G's

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
The exurbs, MN
What's the catch? You save your entire purchase 5% off. That's pretty nice, I've been interested in getting one but not sure why they would just give you 5% off. Thinking about pre-ordering PS4

It's a way to entice people to be loyal Target shoppers. As long as you pay your balance when it's due, there are no fees or additional charges.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
They're losing about 3% when you pay with a credit card, so they're really only giving you an additional 2% off. They probably make a few pennies back from the 22.9% interest rate....

youngsunnz

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2008
When balance due? What if I use checking account and not credit card.

I work for Target and the RedCard is so worth it. With the checking you have no fees at all none, but you save 5% on your everyday purchases, free shipping online, and 5% off starbucks in your target and target cafe. Not only that if you want to save a few more bucks, get pharmacy reward. Every 5 prescriptions you fill you get an addition 5% off of your purchase for 1 whole day.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I work for Target and the RedCard is so worth it. With the checking you have no fees at all none, but you save 5% on your everyday purchases, free shipping online, and 5% off starbucks in your target and target cafe. Not only that if you want to save a few more bucks, get pharmacy reward. Every 5 prescriptions you fill you get an addition 5% off of your purchase for 1 whole day.

Sounds like your managers at Target have taught you well :rolleyes:

I used to work there and refuse to get a red card on principle. I've seen the interest rates that some people get. It should be usury. And yes I realize with checking, there's no interest rate. But they're hoping to get you to go with the credit option and run up a bill at 30% interest.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
They're losing about 3% when you pay with a credit card, so they're really only giving you an additional 2% off. They probably make a few pennies back from the 22.9% interest rate....

That makes no sense. Target still has to pay the credit card processing fees on top of the discount they give you.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My wife and I got one a few months back and went the debit route. It's been great so far. The only downside seems to be that sometimes it takes a little while for the debits to show up on the bank account.

Toppa G's

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
The exurbs, MN
I used to work there and refuse to get a red card on principle. I've seen the interest rates that some people get. It should be usury. And yes I realize with checking, there's no interest rate. But they're hoping to get you to go with the credit option and run up a bill at 30% interest.

Or you could just pay off the balance every month and use the card for the 5% benefit. :rolleyes: Just because someone has a credit card doesn't mean they are required to run up a bill and allow interest to collect. It's so easy to set up automatic payments so that no fees or interest are ever charged...I haven't had to actively do anything to manage my redcard payments for years.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
That makes no sense. Target still has to pay the credit card processing fees on top of the discount they give you.

When I worked at Red and Khaki Hell back in the day, to get our employee discount, we either had to pay by cash, gift card, or Target red card. We couldn't use regular credit and debit cards because of the processing fee, so that leads me to assume they get a discounted rate on the processing fee for their branded cards.

Or, you can have a buddy ring you up, get your exact total including tax and your discount, suspend the transaction, sell you a gift card for that exact amount that you could pay for with any payment method, then pull up the suspended transaction and pay for it with the gift card.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
When I worked at Red and Khaki Hell back in the day, to get our employee discount, we either had to pay by cash, gift card, or Target red card. We couldn't use regular credit and debit cards because of the processing fee, so that leads me to assume they get a discounted rate on the processing fee for their branded cards.

Or, you can have a buddy ring you up, get your exact total including tax and your discount, suspend the transaction, sell you a gift card for that exact amount that you could pay for with any payment method, then pull up the suspended transaction and pay for it with the gift card.

Sheesh... Target Employee Problems! ;)

youngsunnz

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2008
Sounds like your managers at Target have taught you well :rolleyes:

I'm actually a Target Manager and run day to day operations

bluespider

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
Space Coast FL
Still a great deal! It's like having a permanent coupon... even better deal when they offer sales on things like the itunes gift cards... $60 cards for $50 then get another 5% off of that ... I tie it straight to my checking account so that I don't have to use it as another credit card, just a debit card...

blakek

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2013
it's a debit card people

links up with your checking account and you can only use it at Target

they have a credit card too but; think he's referring to the debit

it's awesome and totally worth it. bc it has no fees and it's free. you just use it like your debit card and save 5%

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.