Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dookieman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
I've had to replace the battery on my 2007 MBP twice. I bought it while in college and didn't treat it very well. How can I ensure that I get the best total life out of my MBA, any tips?

Thanks!

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
My battery is shot also. 2011 i5 13" MBA

Batteries are one of the things I try to keep in top shape. However I've had numerous service battery messages and sudden drops to 76% health. I struggle to maintain a health higher than 82% and I've not seen higher than 84% now for a long time.

All this despite following the advice. I generally work all day with it plugged in but at night it comes off the charger. I also work occasionally just on battery, perhaps 1 day a week.

When I first got it I used the battery plenty. I would vary how much it drained. Ie I would let it drain 30% and then recharger then the next time 70% and recharge and then 50% and recharger. Generally I would not interrupt the recharge process and I would drain it fully and leave overnight and recharge fully once a month.

This i thought was a good way to treat the battery.

I know someone else who has the same laptop as me, only bought a couple of months later and they still have low 90% health and abuse the battery. It's either plugged in for days or fully discharged every single time.

Therefore I'd say regardless of how you treat it, it might just be mostly down to the battery. But I would still make sure the battery is exercised and use is varied.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
1. Don't use it as much.
2. Be on AC whenever possible.
3. Make more money so you don't care how often is replaced. :)

flight

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Generally I would not interrupt the recharge process and I would drain it fully and leave overnight and recharge fully once a month.

This i thought was a good way to treat the battery.

Leaving the battery dead overnight every month for a couple years is not very good for the battery. I've had good luck with batteries by rarely going under 20% and only charging to 100% when I forget to unplug my device.

I don't even bother calibrating the meter on my iPad since the battery life is so good.

With the tremendous battery life improvements from the Haswell Airs, it should be possible to avoid having to charge more than once a day or completely draining/fully charging it.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I have a 2010 13 MBA, shut it down and charge nightly, run off AC mostly. Now, after 2.5 years of daily use, has 346 cycles and 90% battery health.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Use it anyway you want, even discharge it completely. But once it is discharged completely, plug it back in. Never leave it discharged for long periods of times. Otherwise, run it on battery or plugged in as much as you want. The newer style lithium polymers last a lot longer then the older lithium ions. Even if you need a replacement, it's only around $150 every 5 years.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
your battery should last 3-5 years. replacement is $100-$150

at worst that's $50 a year... me i usually buy them online. i have learned the hard way that it's best to buy authentic rather than knock-off. but even still i think the point is that you don't really need to worry about this too much in my opinion. just a peripheral knowledge of how your battery functions and how to care for it is really all i've ever needed and the Apple support pages provide just that. Most of it is common sense really... ultimately, the more you use it and the harder you use it the quicker it will die, but tiptoeing around it will really only give you nominal savings and the opportunity cost of battery fretting isn't worth it to me personally.

Appledreamer

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
Belfast
Battery Heath

Hello i am new to MacBooks

i got the new MAcbook air this week 2013

May i ask help

Were do i find or how do i find out were the heath is, Is this an app?

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
I have 700 cycles on my 2010 15 MBP, still have 88-95% health

Hello i am new to MacBooks

i got the new MAcbook air this week 2013

May i ask help

Were do i find or how do i find out were the heath is, Is this an app?

Download Coconut Battery

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.