Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

born4sky

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
Since my contract is done with At&t can I get unlock code from them?
iPhone 4

Also if there is LOCK FREE iPhones that being sold on Apple... why cant we use that software to upload on locked phones?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
There is no such thing as an unlock code or unlocked vs locked firmware. Locked and unlocked iPhones run the same firmware. They simply talk to servers at Apple that say for each phone whether it's locked or unlocked. When a UK carrier (O2) for example unlock a phone they simply update the database and it's done next time the phone activates with the activation server.

As to why AT&T won't do it: they don't want to.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Pretty sure even if you've finished your contract they still won't unlock an iPhone. Other phones, yes. But not iPhones.

Greedy #*$@(&#(@&s!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yeah, you shald go to your local AT&T office and talk to them. They will put your iPhone in unlocked database.

That is false.
AT&T will never unlock any iphone locked to their network.
If you buy it full price from Apple then its officially unlocked.
Talking or arguing with AT&T wont get you anywhere either.

Lylyluvda916

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
no unlock codes but they can unlock it still

Hello:)

There aren't any codes used in unlcokign iphones. once you have completed you contract or have paid of the ETF, you can go online and fill out the iphone unlock request form. Be aware that if you have not meet one of these requirments, and your phone has been reported lost ot stolen, you will not qualify for it. From experience i met all requirments but they denied me an unlock for my phone. To resolve this i simply called them or started a chat and eventually got my phones unlocked once they reviewed my qualifications. to date i have successfully unlocked 3 iphones through the carrier. You only qualify for 6(i believe thats the right amount) unlocks per year.

----------

There aren't any codes used in unlcokign iphones. once you have completed you contract or have paid of the ETF, you can go online and fill out the iphone unlock request form. Be aware that if you have not meet one of these requirments, and your phone has been reported lost ot stolen, you will not qualify for it. From experience i met all requirments but they denied me an unlock for my phone. To resolve this i simply called them or started a chat and eventually got my phones unlocked once they reviewed my qualifications. to date i have successfully unlocked 3 iphones through the carrier. You only qualify for 6(i believe thats the right amount) unlocks per year.

once att has approved the unlock, youll need to simply plug your phone into itunes and your phone will do the rest. you might need to restore so your jailbreak, if you have one, will be gone. your itunes will display a message telling you its been unlocked.

if you have a jailbreak and want to keep it but still want it unlocked, i recomment using GPP sim. They sale it on amazon and its like 12 bucks wiht expedited shipping.(just tried this on a blacklisted iphone 4s)

KattDaDon

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Okay if your trying to unlock your iPhone call AT&T they will help you with that or go to the AT&T store for a faster process time cause over the phone they will just lead you to the online unlock request site and I think that takes 24 hours or so I think but if you want a alternative unlockfusion.net is hella cheap in unlocking AT&T iPhones and fast

----------

AT&T will unlock your iPhone do not listen to what these guys are saying. My iPhone 5 was unlocked day 1 when the iPhone 5 was released

----------

----------

once att has approved the unlock, youll need to simply plug your phone into itunes and your phone will do the rest. you might need to restore so your jailbreak, if you have one, will be gone. your itunes will display a message telling you its been unlocked.

if you have a jailbreak and want to keep it but still want it unlocked, i recomment using GPP sim. They sale it on amazon and its like 12 bucks wiht expedited shipping.(just tried this on a blacklisted iphone 4s)

You don't need to restore your phone or plug it into iTunes. They tell you that but you don't have cause when I had gotten my iPhone 5 when it was released. AT&T unlock it right then and there for me and I went to T-Mobile for a sim and it was up and running just fine without plugging in or restoring

exynos-octa

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2013
Pretty sure even if you've finished your contract they still won't unlock an iPhone. Other phones, yes. But not iPhones.

Greedy #*$@(&#(@&s!

iPhone users always get shafted. Which is why you should stay AWAY from carriers

KattDaDon

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011

Greedy #*$@(&#(@&s!

If you finished your contract AT&T will unlock it... Since when iPhones can't be unlock? I think your stuck in the past years where we had to use Ultra S sim cards/GPP sim cards or jailbreak to unlock an iPhone

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
If you finished your contract AT&T will unlock it... Since when iPhones can't be unlock? I think your stuck in the past years where we had to use Ultra S sim cards/GPP sim cards or jailbreak to unlock an iPhone

Way to quote a post from over 2 years ago.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.