Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
sold my gen 1 and now i am waiting might pick up a windows surface to play with while waiting.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Wait. Retina + more ram = much better experience.

I own a Mini and, surprisingly, its the lack of ram that really bites.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
i'd say buy it couple months ago, but now, you should wait, it might be fast enough, but it's still not fast enough, and especially the screen. wait at least until the next gen.

kramjam

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
California
Wait. Retina + more ram = much better experience.

I own a Mini and, surprisingly, its the lack of ram that really bites.

Exactly how I feel. Bought a mini months ago, loved everything about it except the lack of RAM. I could get past not having a retina display because of the portability and battery life, it's just that constantly refreshing apps and tabs in Safari got old really fast. Wait if you can!

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I would love to own an Ipad mini if it is made both glass back/front like Iphone 4/4s.

At 7.9 screen, it would be a beauty especially with retina display. Though, i know it would increase significantly in weight and cost.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
I am extremely pleased with my mini in the week that I have owned it. The Safari tabs reloading don't bother me.I keep tabs open in Safari that I visit every day and having them reload every time prevents me from having to reload them myself to see what is new on that page.

I think this iPad is an amazing thing. :)

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I am extremely pleased with my mini in the week that I have owned it. The Safari tabs reloading don't bother me.I keep tabs open in Safari that I visit every day and having them reload every time prevents me from having to reload them myself to see what is new on that page.

I think this iPad is an amazing thing. :)

It is a great a piece of kit, but the refreshing that bugs be is beyond just tabs. I typically use Safari, Alien Blue, Downcast and Mail interchangeably. If I switch between more than two or three, the initial app is forcibly refreshed. I'm kind of spoilt by my iPhone 5, and even my iPad 3, which does none of these things unless you've dipped into lots more apps.

Like above poster's have said, a few months ago I'd say buy buy buy, but its really not long now to a likely refresh and, maaaan, a Mini with retina & more ram will be utterly brilliant.

allistera

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
I am also in the same position as the OP. To weigh things up: Next ipad mini might be up to 4 months away vs Waiting and getting a better specs

iAndyPham

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
The next gen might sport retina display, but I doubt it's gonna do good. Look at examples of iPad 3 and MacBook Pro Retina 13". Their GPUs are so weak that they cant support the retina display. They lag. It is until iPad 4 (which has x2 GPU performance of iPad 3) that the experience is smooth again.

By that example, I think you should skip 2nd version because Apple is unlikely to stuff a good GPU inside that machine, especially when Apple is unlikely to sacrifice thinness for raw power. The 3rd version will be alright.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
I will say this about the iPad Mini, the battery life is FREAKIN amazing!

I've been cranking out music on this thing for basically the past seven hours and I haven't charged it since Saturday when I took it off the charger at 5PM to go to work. As you can see, it has not been plugged in since last charge because it doesn't say that.

Attachments

• photo-8.PNG
    photo-8.PNG
    179.5 KB · Views: 151

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Should I purchase the iPad mini now or should I wait for gen 2?

Buy it now and try it out. Take it back if you don't like it.

No one knows when the next one will be available. Walmart has the 16gb for $299. Run, don't walk as many many people love this little bugger.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado

No one knows when the next one will be available. Walmart has the 16gb for $299. Run, don't walk as many many people love this little bugger.

I bought mine with the knowledge that I could take it back if I didn't like it. Once I used it for a day, I knew that would not happen.

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
given iOS7 i think the A5 and 512 megs of ram will be pushed to its limits therefore WAIT.

but that's if you accept a decline in battery life which may or may not happen mind due, or even an increase in weight and size...

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I will say this about the iPad Mini, the battery life is FREAKIN amazing!

I've been cranking out music on this thing for basically the past seven hours and I haven't charged it since Saturday when I took it off the charger at 5PM to go to work. As you can see, it has not been plugged in since last charge because it doesn't say that.

I agree it's excellent this is my screen shot.

image.jpg

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL

the $299 price tag, is that for refurb? I checked the site and they're all priced at $330.

Edit: The refurb models are at $269 so I guess its not $300.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
If you want it now, buy it now. If they add more RAM and up the resolution at year's end, throw the 1st gen up on eBay and pay the difference. That's my plan anyway. For the time being, I'm having a very good time using my iPad Mini for music creation.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Look around for a low price second hand model. That will keep you going till the new one is released and if you want to upgrade, you should be able to sell the 1st gen mini without too big of a financial hit.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
If you want it now, buy it now. If they add more RAM and up the resolution at year's end, throw the 1st gen up on eBay and pay the difference. That's my plan anyway. For the time being, I'm having a very good time using my iPad Mini for music creation.

Unless one is really strapped for cash, where you have to save and save for these devices and there isn't any extra cash each month beyond that, then I suggest your plan (and have adopted it myself!). You're going to lose a bit of money in the exchange, but 1) not much, and 2) it means that during that time you'll be enjoying a product you really want, while others will be going without (how silly to go without?!). I never understood the rationale to wait until the next version or until a certain feature is implemented - get it today and enjoy it until that feature or next version are released, sell and upgrade, and the difference can be spread across the months you've owned it, making the expense very little on a per month basis, which is the cost of enjoying it today rather than tomorrow. Think of it as renting joy. That's how I look at it.

Last edited:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
the $299 price tag, is that for refurb? I checked the site and they're all priced at $330.

Edit: The refurb models are at $269 so I guess its not $300.

It was $299 but I guess no longer at Walmart.

If one needs to buy on credit and get a no interest payment plan, Best Buy accommodates that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.