Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has yet to release iOS 7 for the iPad and aside from a small picture on the iOS 7 site, there has been little indication of what the operating system will look like on the larger screen of the tablet.

German site Apfelpage.de [Google Translation] has posted some photos obtained via an iOS 7 iPad simulator in Xcode 5, which demonstrate how several stock apps will look on an iPad running the new OS.

ios7ipad2.jpg
Calendar and Game Center
Unsurprisingly, iOS 7 on the iPad looks much like it does on the iPhone. Maps has slightly more screen real estate to work with and the Control Center isn't quite as obtrusive. As this is a simulated version of iOS 7 on the iPad, the actual version could look different.

ios7ipad1.jpg
Control Center and Maps
It is unclear when Apple plans to release iOS 7 on the iPad for developers, but it will likely come within the next few weeks. The full version of the new operating system is expected to debut in the fall, and in the meantime, Apfelpage.de has several more examples of iOS 7 apps running on the iPad. Australian writer Sonny Dickson, who provided the screenshots, also has additional images that can be found on his Twitter stream.

Update: 9to5Mac has provided even more simulated iOS 7 screenshots.

Article Link: Simulator Provides Early Look at iOS 7 on the iPad

kenboy127

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
Ooh! Maybe the 5th gen iPad and/or 2nd gen Mini will have a flash :) The button looks legit enough for it to be a possibility.

Maybe it just turns the screen white and puts the brightness all the way up. The screen is surprisingly bright in a dark room.

thaifood

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Looking forward to it! Should make things look pretty cool by introducing the changes on a larger format!

Cue 537285328790 whiney posts about the icons and how everyone is a better designer than Apple folks :p

kbt1020

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
Flashlight toggle. I predict the iPad mini 2 and iPad 5 will have LED Flash. No need to thank me for the analysis. ;)

Smiles77

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
In the present
Guys, if you read the instructions they give to do it, they're just copying over the default settings from the iPad under iOS 6 and emulating it with the iPhone's iOS 7 resources.

In other words, this is not the iPad with iOS 7. It's the iPad with the iPhone interface stretched across the frame. This is why the flashlight toggle is there too.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple has yet to release iOS 7 for the iPad and aside from a small picture on the iOS 7 site, there has been little indication of what the operating system will look like on the larger screen of the tablet.

German site Apfelpage.de [Google Translation] has posted some photos obtained via an iOS 7 iPad emulator in Xcode 5, which demonstrate how several stock apps will look on an iPad running the new OS.

ImageCalendar and Game Center
Unsurprisingly, iOS 7 on the iPad looks much like it does on the iPhone. Maps has slightly more screen real estate to work with and the Control Center isn't quite as obtrusive. Notably, the Control Center contains a flashlight toggle, which is likely a mistake as the current fifth generation iPad and first generation iPad mini have no flash.

ImageControl Center and Maps
It is unclear when Apple plans to release the iPad version of iOS 7 for developers, but it will likely come within the next few weeks. The full version of the new operating system is expected to debut in the fall, and in the meantime, Apfelpage.de has several more examples of iOS 7 apps running on the iPad. Australian writer Sonny Dickson, who provided the screenshots, also has additional images that can be found on his Twitter stream.

Article Link: Emulator Provides Early Look at iOS 7 on the iPad

There is no current 5th generation iPad. What we currently have is the 4rth gen.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
There is no current 5th generation iPad. What we currently have is the 4rth gen.

Sorry, that was an error I fixed. I also edited the post to make it clear it's an emulated version that could be different when the actual version is released to devs. :)

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
The Digital Frontier
As much I really want the iOS 7 and the current look for iPhone. I am praying that this isn't the look for iPad. Seems that they don't even consider the amount of space they can use. And no example of landscape mode.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Notification Center is blown up badly. GameCenter isn't looking good either with that uselessly long search bar.

But this isn't finished yet, and Apple hasn't even released it as a beta because it's clearly not ready. :)

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Look at all that space :)

I was kinda wondering how weird Apple didn't mention IOS7 on the iPad at all, and still hasn't said a date.

Despite Apple may have trouble with iPad version or whatever the delay, then why did they 'make it public", if both weren't ready ?

Give the iPhone an advantage in this area (maybe), but i've got iOS 6.1.x backup just i take i hate iOS 7. And i suggest people that are uncertain, download and save the current Restore now, why should you need to jailbreak just to do it ? Not its you do your homework first.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Interesting. But something else I found interesting was on the link to the iOS 7 page. Anyone else notice the blue rim around the iPhone?

Edit: just realized it's the iPod touch...

Attachments

• IMG_20130616_225229.JPG
    IMG_20130616_225229.JPG
    220.9 KB · Views: 419

msandersen

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2003
Sydney, Australia
There's a number of features I'm looking forward to, but I feel the icon design etc is very crude compared to the current polish; I hope the icon design is handed over to some good designers, as the colour scheme is somewhat garish as is. Going the WinXP or Win8 route is not the way.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
It's interesting how Apple tells developers to write new layouts specifically designed for the iPad, but then all Apple themselves provide is a blown-up iPhone UI.

I hope that the final iOS7 iPad UI treats the iPad as a first-tier client and gives it a thoroughly tablet experience.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
It's interesting how Apple tells developers to write new layouts specifically designed for the iPad, but then all Apple themselves provide is a blown-up iPhone UI.

Good point. I hope they do something different for the iPad too that actually makes better use of the extra screen space.

Interesting. But something else I found interesting was on the link to the iOS 7 page. Anyone else notice the blue rim around the iPhone?

Edit: just realized it's the iPod touch...

Yeah it is a Touch.

Wurm5150

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
That looks like the iPhone UI stretched out, like an Android phone app on an Android tablet. It looks terrible.. I can see why they haven't released the iPad iOS7 beta.. Guess they're not done scaling and optimizing it for the iPad..

Smiles77

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
In the present

I hope that the final iOS7 iPad UI treats the iPad as a first-tier client and gives it a thoroughly tablet experience.

That looks like the iPhone UI stretched out, like an Android phone app on an Android tablet. It looks terrible.. I can see why they haven't released the iPad iOS7 beta.. Guess they're not done scaling and optimizing it for the iPad..

That's exactly what it is. This isn't the iPad's version of iOS 7. Read the source; the method used makes clear the UI is from the iPhone.

cmanderson

macrumors regular
May 20, 2013
What a sparse looking POS iOS7 looks to be on the iPad.:mad:

You read the comments above, first, didn't you?

There's a reason Apple did not demo iOS 7 on iPad at WWDC during the keynote. It's not ready for primetime.

What you're seeing is the iPhone UI blown up to fit the larger screen, ala Android phone apps on Android tablets (not the same thing as iPhone on iPad), and iPhone apps on iPad have the built in "1x / 2x" button and users should know the difference.

Tpoccu

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2013

Apple hasn't provided any UI for the iPad yet, this is the iPhone UI hacked to run at iPad resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.