Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gvdv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
Hi,
I am having a strange problem with my Zoom R 16 when I use it as an audio interface with GarageBand '09 on my Mac Pro - I am getting a 'buzz'/'static' sound when I start to sing into my mic. at a decent/adequate input level, and I would appreciate any help with this that anyone can give me.

I find this to be strange because I do NOT hear the buzz/static sound under the following circumstances:
1. When I use the R 16 in 'standalone' mode.
2. When I am in audio interface mode, and the computer is recording, but I am not singing close to the mic. (i.e., with a 'weak' input signal; when I move closer to the mic. to get a good level, I get the static sound).

I have tried to eliminate most variables by:
- Using two different microphones (one condenser, and one dynamic)
- Using the two different mic. inputs on the R 16
- Recording in Audio Interface, and 'Standalone' modes

As I noted above, I have no problems when I either sing quite softly (or from quite far away from the mics.), or when I use the mics. with the R 16 in 'standalone' mode; so, neither the microphones, mic. cables, nor R 16 inputs seem to be the problem (could be my singing, though ).

The only variables that I have not investigated are: changing the USB cable, and using a different audio interface (I can do the former, but not the latter).

One other thing that I should mention is that I am getting very little noticeable level in GarageBand visually (i.e., the track and master 'meters' in GB hardly register the signal, and the recorded waveform is virtually flat). However, this does not seem to make much difference, as the playback level (with buzz/static included, or course) of the recorded signal is fine.

I could be wrong, because it is a while since I did any recording and I cannot remember too well, but I think that the recorded waveforms of my vocals are usually visually more dynamic (I will check this tomorrow by looking at other tracks that I have recorded).

Has anyone else had this problem?

I would appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thanks,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.